Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene for Quenneville and 2021 2nd round pick

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
UFAs will sign in TB for a reasonable price as well. We have to overpay anyone to come here. And it’s normally guys who are not in demand.

It is not a question of TB signing ufas reasonably, although Fl having no state income tax is a great advantage for the Bolts and Panthers.
I was pointing out how TB probably values Coleman highly because he in on dirt cheap contract for 1 more season. He will ease their cap crunch.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What do you think a 2021 2nd and Wahlstrom gets you right now?

For example, who on the current Isles roster would you trade for a Wahlstrom type and a 2nd?

I don’t think it buys you very much. The kind of players I think you want cost a lot more, and we don’t have a lot to trade unless you want to see Dobson play 15 yrs in another jersey.

Exactly why we shouldn't be trading any valuable assets for pending UFAs who don't make us a serious Cup threat.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do the best with the group you have now as that will yield more success in the future.

Reactions: CREW99AW

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I take a less popular viewpoint. I still believe if we clean up our defensive problems and stop chasing the game in our own end, that will lead to increased offense and a less tired forward corps. Greene was a cheaper fix than finding more offense at TDL time.

I would totally get on board with this viewpoint if the "cheap fix" actually fixed the problem(s) and made the Isles bonafide Cup contenders, but we both know it doesn't.

I'm into doing things right even if it takes much longer, and I don't think the kind of problems the Isles have are solved at a trade deadline. They're solved over time by drafting and trading true impact players and having them gel with your core group.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I would totally get on board with this viewpoint if the "cheap fix" actually fixed the problem(s) and made the Isles bonafide Cup contenders, but we both know it doesn't.

I'm into doing things right even if it takes much longer, and I don't think the kind of problems the Isles have are solved at a trade deadline. They're solved over time by drafting and trading true impact players and having them gel with your core group.
It's a false dichotomy to act like Lou can only do one or the other, though. This trade doesn't preclude Lou from trading for or drafting a longterm impact player in the offseason, and all indications are that he will continue to look to do that.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It's a false dichotomy to act like Lou can only do one or the other, though. This trade doesn't preclude Lou from trading for or drafting a longterm impact player in the offseason, and all indications are that he will continue to look to do that.

No one is saying it doesn't. My issue is that I don't believe there's a move out there to be made in the next week that makes this team a legit Cup contender/favorite, so since that's all I care about I believe that a good asset was throwing into a wishing well. And I'm saying that and I like Greene a lot.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
No one is saying it doesn't. My issue is that I don't believe there's a move out there to be made in the next week that makes this team a legit Cup contender/favorite, so since that's all I care about I believe that a good asset was throwing into a wishing well. And I'm saying that and I like Greene a lot.
So it is your belief that a team should not make moves to improve the team, and should only make moves if thay make them a cup contender or that do not cost any assets?

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
So it is your belief that a team should not make moves to improve the team, and should only make moves if thay make them a cup contender or that do not cost any assets?

While I have an overall philosophy, but I do treat each situation case by case. Will trading a 2nd round pick for Greene kill this team's long term Cup chances? Of course it won't. I really like Greene and certainly understand the argument for making such a deal, but without a corresponding deal to improve the offense, and significantly, it was throwing the asset away for nothing if the ultimate goal is to win the Cup.

I will also say that if Greene winds up resigning next year, and can play up to current level, because he loved playing here that changes things as well. But given the Isles specific situation right now, lack of at least one 1st line goal scorer and 3 key injuries, personally I wouldn't have traded for any pending UFA and then became even more aggressive this offseason to fix things long term.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
While I have an overall philosophy, but I do treat each situation case by case. Will trading a 2nd round pick for Greene kill this team's long term Cup chances? Of course it won't. I really like Greene and certainly understand the argument for making such a deal, but without a corresponding deal to improve the offense, and significantly, it was throwing the asset away for nothing if the ultimate goal is to win the Cup.

I will also say that if Greene winds up resigning next year, and can play up to current level, because he loved playing here that changes things as well. But given the Isles specific situation right now, lack of at least one 1st line goal scorer and 3 key injuries, personally I wouldn't have traded for any pending UFA and then became even more aggressive this offseason to fix things long term.
That’s a very narrow view of the trade market and how a team that has multiple needs that need to be fixed on the fly should do it. So to you, it’s fix the scoring first and if we can’t do that don’t bother with the others.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
That’s a very narrow view of the trade market and how a team that has multiple needs that need to be fixed on the fly should do it. So to you, it’s fix the scoring first and if we can’t do that don’t bother with the others.

Not at all. Please understand...I judge each move case by case, but overall if I'm going to fix any need "on the fly" I want that fix to either still be around when the team is a legit Cup contender, or make the team a Cup contender right away. I don't believe adding (just) Greene does that so going into this offseason we still have significant holes to fix and one less asset to do so.

And again to be clear...I like Greene a lot.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Poor Andy. Moves to be in playoffs and less than a week later is likely to find himself in a team outside a play off position.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Devils fan here.

What do guys think of Andy so far? I'm a huge Andy Greene fan and because you guys traded for him I'll be rooting for you guys in the playoffs. Lou being your GM also sure helps. He's a guy who just doesn't make mistakes, can play a ton of minutes without getting tired, is great at moving the puck up the ice, is underrated offensively and is fantastic defensively.

I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you're not aware of since you guys are a very knowledgeable group of fans.

I'm just genuinely curious as to what you guys think of him and just want to know how he has looked so far? Best of luck to you guys from here on out!

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Devils fan here.
What do guys think of Andy so far? I'm a huge Andy Greene fan and because you guys trades for him I'll be rooting for you guys in the playoffs. Lou being your GM also sure helps. He's a guy who just doesn't make mistakes, can play a ton of minutes without getting tired, is great at moving the puck up the ice, is underrated offensively and is fantastic defensively.

I'm sure I'm not telling you guys anything you're not aware of since you guys are a very knowledgeable group of fans.

I'm just genuinely curious as to what you guys think of him and just want to know how he has looked so far? Best of luck to you guys from here on out!

At this point, I would've paid more for him. He's been great even though the results haven't been there for the team. Hoping they'll re-sign him to a one year deal in the summer.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
At this point, I would've paid more for him. He's been great even though the results haven't been there for the team. Hoping they'll re-sign him to a one year deal in the summer.

Great to hear! I would not be surprised at all if he resigns with you guys for a very fair price. Mainly because Lou is there and there is a mutual respect between the two.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm also not surprised to hear you would have paid more. Lou knew what kinda player he was getting and he was the only GM that was gonna offer as much as he did. I thought some of my fellow Devils' fans were completley off base saying Greene was washed up. Really happy you guys are enjoying Andy as a player. There's a reason he was our Captain even though he doesn't put up massive points or is some physical monster on the back end. Thrilled by what I've read about Andy in some of these threads.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad