Confirmed with Link: Andy Greene for Quenneville and 2021 2nd round pick

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Can everyone stop worrying about the 2nd round pick next year now? Greene is fantastic and gives me that Vis/Streit vibe where he is that old vet that just gets the job done back there.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can everyone stop worrying about the 2nd round pick next year now? Greene is fantastic and gives me that Vis/Streit vibe where he is that old vet that just gets the job done back there.
I know it's only 4 games but Andy Greene has been a revelation. I've paid close attention to the Devils the last 3 or 4 seasons and Greene looked like an aging player to me. Slow, turnover-prone, uninspired. Since he's been here he's been solid, makes the plays look easy, gets the puck onto his teammates sticks. Hope he continues like this and is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal from us in the $2M range.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know it's only 4 games but Andy Greene has been a revelation. I've paid close attention to the Devils the last 3 or 4 seasons and Greene looked like an aging player to me. Slow, turnover-prone, uninspired. Since he's been here he's been solid, makes the plays look easy, gets the puck onto his teammates sticks. Hope he continues like this and is willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal from us in the $2M range.

I like what I've seen as well. I would very much welcome a short team deal like that too.

I think Greene would be an excellent partner and mentor for Dobson as the kid continues his NHL progression.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I like what I've seen as well. I would very much welcome a short team deal like that too.

I think Greene would be an excellent partner and mentor for Dobson as the kid continues his NHL progression.

Pencil me in as well.......I really like his game and am already wanting Noah to shine on the right side and put on some weight this offseason....

Greene in and Leddy out saves us a cool 3 million towards a forward...

UFA/Barzal (9)/Eberle (5.5)
Beau (2)/Nelson (6)/Wahlstrom (1)
Lee (7)/UFA/Bailey (5)
Johnston (1)/Cizikas (3.5)/Clutterbuck (3.5)

MDC (1)/Koivula (1)

Pelech (1.5)/Pullock (6)
Greene (2.5)/Mayfield (1.5)
Toews (3)/Dobson (1)

Aho (1)

Varly (5)/Sorokin (1)

Komarov buyout (1)

Get rid of Hickey/Ladd or Boychuk (6)

Total: 74 million- giving us 8-10 million for the 2 UFA's

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pencil me in as well.......I really like his game and am already wanting Noah to shine on the right side and put on some weight this offseason....

Lee (7)/UFA/Bailey (5)

MDC (1)/Koivula (1)

Pelech (1.5)/Pullock (6)
Toews (3)/Dobson (1)

Aho (1)

Varly (5)/Sorokin (1)

Komarov buyout (1)

I get your thought about moving Leddy’s contract. He is one of the few vets on this team that can bring back the assets we need but Im in no rush to move Leds. So....
I don’t think it would be Greene in/Leddy out. Greene might signal the phasing out of Johnny Boychuk sometime next season provided Grant Hutton keeps progressing at Bridgey.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't remember if I posted this previously, but doesn't Greene strike you as the kind of guy who has future NHL coach written all over him?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I get your thought about moving Leddy’s contract. He is one of the few vets on this team that can bring back the assets we need but Im in no rush to move Leds. So....
I don’t think it would be Greene in/Leddy out. Greene might signal the phasing out of Johnny Boychuk sometime next season provided Grant Hutton keeps progressing at Bridgey.

If you are going to want a Top 6er it is going to be Leddy or Bailey that have to be moved- and Nick will be much more easier to move. Leddy isn't near the defender Greene is, but Andy also isn't near the skater or offensive facilitator (although Leddy has steadily declined in that area). Dobson's progression is what we need (to replace what nick does on the ice)- my "in and out" was based on ONLY the money saved

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I don't remember if I posted this previously, but doesn't Greene strike you as the kind of guy who has future NHL coach written all over him?

Or President of the United States. He is still just Andy Greene.
Rolston and Pandolfo were Devils too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I wonder if Andy will sign a Chara like contract. He is nearing the end of his career. He looks very comfortable in an Isles uniform. Can he be fitted in at a discount contract? He has been a good pick up at the TDL. I actually think he has been the Isles second best D man these playoffs.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017

Lee (7)/UFA/Bailey (5)

MDC (1)/Koivula (1)

Pelech (1.5)/Pullock (6)
Toews (3)/Dobson (1)

Aho (1)

V
Komarov buyout (1)

So ..Komarov/Hickey/Boychuck/Ladd/Martin/Leddy/Pageau are all gone and replaced with 2 UFA .......and a minor leaguer or so....You do realize your math is off also?...and this looks like it could win to you?

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
So ..Komarov/Hickey/Boychuck/Ladd/Martin/Leddy/Pageau are all gone and replaced with 2 UFA .......and a minor leaguer or so....You do realize your math is off also?...and this looks like it could win to you?

All due respect that post was done in February.

To answer your question though, obviously if the Islanders want to take the next step they are going to have to get something from their youngsters (Dobson, Whalstrom, Bellows and/or Koivula) next season; if for no other reason it is going be extremely hard to add any other meaningful talent. JGP was added after this post was made

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017

To answer your question though, obviously if the Islanders want to take the next step they are going to have to get something from their youngsters (Dobson, Whalstrom, Bellows and/or Koivula) next season; if for no other reason it is going be extremely hard to add any other meaningful talent. JGP was added after this post was made

If they get knocked out...their that close with a move or so..too early for 4 rooks

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Dobson will possibly start in Bridgeport if he’s going to wind up as the #6 or 7 next season. It would help him developmentally to let him play big minutes in the minors for a season, especially since he’s waivers exempt for call ups. They need to test the forwards out to see if/what they can do. Test Koivula or Bellows out as a winger alongside JGP and possibly Wahlstrom with Nelson and Bailey. Figure out what to do with Eberle. I may be in the small fraction but bring Hickey back as a bottom pairing defenseman and showcase him until someone is willing to take a shot on him for a draft pick.

Reactions: Riseonfire

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd love him back at 2.5M (half his current cap hit) for one year. He's 37, nearing 38. Surely at this point in his career if he still wants to play, and is comfortable, something he is with Lou. Something can be worked out to benefit both parties. He's been the Isles 2nd best Isles D man in the playoffs IMO to Pelech.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
If they get knocked out...their that close with a move or so..too early for 4 rooks

And/or. Doesn't mean all four rookies, but rather a couple of them getting into the mix. Once we committed to the players this past off season (Lee, Nelson, Eberle and Varlamov specifically) and then traded and signed JGP; it is where we are at. Period. With the cap staying at 81.5 million, we CANNOT add on anymore salary. So, I dont know what moves you are wanting to make, but we have to cut (Leddy, Boychuk, Hickey and Komarov being the obvious contenders) and replace them internally. It is going to cost upwards of 30 million plus to get Barzal, Pulock, Toews, Pelech, Sorokin and Beauvillier signed the next two seasons and as of this moment, the only meaningful contracts that are coming off the books the next two seasons is our fourth line and Komarov.

Even moving Leddy or Eberle (and getting close to the same salary back for a forward or upgrade from Jordan) doesn't benefit us because of all the key guys who have to be paid the next two seasons.

No, realistically it is trying to cut who we can and continue to improve within, which does mean the rookies and of course Sorokin among them

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
And/or. Doesn't mean all four rookies, but rather a couple of them getting into the mix. Once we committed to the players this past off season (Lee, Nelson, Eberle and Varlamov specifically) and then traded and signed JGP; it is where we are at. Period. With the cap staying at 81.5 million, we CANNOT add on anymore salary. So, I dont know what moves you are wanting to make, but we have to cut (Leddy, Boychuk, Hickey and Komarov being the obvious contenders) and replace them internally. It is going to cost upwards of 30 million plus to get Barzal, Pulock, Toews, Pelech, Sorokin and Beauvillier signed the next two seasons and as of this moment, the only meaningful contracts that are coming off the books the next two seasons is our fourth line and Komarov.

Even moving Leddy or Eberle (and getting close to the same salary back for a forward or upgrade from Jordan) doesn't benefit us because of all the key guys who have to be paid the next two seasons.

No, realistically it is trying to cut who we can and continue to improve within, which does mean the rookies and of course Sorokin among them

Not sure what Eberle has the following year but believe he is a full NMC next year. I like Leddy a lot but the most moveable asset. NJ may want Greene back. Their d is putrid. Anything more than the veteran mimimum is unlikely for him here.

HIckey to NJ? Why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad