Prospect Info: Andrey Makarov (2012 via UFA) – '15-16: Rochester #1 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I just don't get why we wouldn't either move him or at least offer a QO. .

I can't imagine there's any kind of a trade market whatsoever for a not-very-good AHL goalie, and if we qualify him it costs a contract which is pointless when we already have Lehner, Ullmark, Petersen, Kasdorf and whomever takes Johnson's spot (if not Johnson himself) in the mix. It's the same thing that happened with Leggio, and Salak, and Noronen, etc...you have a couple years tops to prove you're a stud AHL netminder. If you don't, your chances of making the NHL are virtually nil...however dime a dozen the average bottom-15 NHL goalie is, you can get a middle of the road AHL goalie for a penny a dozen. There's no value in holding onto a guy who isn't putting up better than a 2.5 GAA, it's not a Russian thing, it's a "he's not very good thing".

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I can't imagine there's any kind of a trade market whatsoever for a not-very-good AHL goalie, and if we qualify him it costs a contract which is pointless when we already have Lehner, Ullmark, Petersen, Kasdorf and whomever takes Johnson's spot (if not Johnson himself) in the mix. It's the same thing that happened with Leggio, and Salak, and Noronen, etc...you have a couple years tops to prove you're a stud AHL netminder. If you don't, your chances of making the NHL are virtually nil...however dime a dozen the average bottom-15 NHL goalie is, you can get a middle of the road AHL goalie for a penny a dozen. There's no value in holding onto a guy who isn't putting up better than a 2.5 GAA, it's not a Russian thing, it's a "he's not very good thing".

Agreed.

Makarov had plenty of opportunity to turn heads, but was never as good as he needed to be. I hope he has a long successful career, but i don't think this will be a big loss for the Sabres.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Offering him a QO doesn't mean anything if he chooses not to sign it and go to the KHL.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Agreed.

Makarov had plenty of opportunity to turn heads, but was never as good as he needed to be. I hope he has a long successful career, but i don't think this will be a big loss for the Sabres.

That's fine, but goalies peak much later, so why not offer him a min QO let him go to Russia and see if he can figure it out. If he wants to leave that's fine, do svidánija Makarov, but if he become a good goalie in the KHL and we let him walk for nothing that looks bad on us. Then we have a disgruntled goalie telling everyone how horrible Buffalo is to Russian players. That's the most worrying part for me, he could never become a decent goalie, but he may run into future NHL players over in the KHL and tell them to stay away from Murray and Buffalo, we were supposed to be turning the perceptions about Buffalo around I thought.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not tendered a qualifying offer, so he becomes an unrestricted free agent (as far as the NHL is concerned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad