Prospect Info: Andrey Makarov (2012 via UFA) – '15-16: Rochester #1 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If someone could translate and post that article, or tell me how to do it myself (on an iPad) I'd greatly appreciate it!

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The fact is WNY, including Buffalo, Niagara Fals and Rochester is what you make it to be for yourself. There is plenty to do around here for enjoyment or are short travel times from the larger population centers, Vermont/New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.

He is correct on GMTM and all GM's should pause given the KHL scenario. Their human, they get homesick sometimes, they may get offered more money.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
In the article Makarov mostly complains about being scratched after good games, for example: getting a 2:0 shutout win on the road Vs. Lake Erie, after which he wasn't dressed for 3 games (he mentions more examples, but I'm too lazy to translate those :) ).

Also he complains that after being decent in the camp, he ended up as a 3-rd goalie in Rochester immediately after being sent down there.

About Murray and Russians, Makarov just has been asked about any guesses of why he was treated that way, and he replied that Murray is the one who decides who plays and who doesn't and also told that 'But did you noticed that the organization got rid of all the Russians? I was the last one.'

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Good for Mak. Kid never got a chance after that Memorial Cup run in 2013, no reason to keep quiet about the bigotry he perceived. Fully expect Murray will qualify him just to be petty & vindictive.

keyword is perceived.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
How is qualifying an RFA petty or vindictive? It's mainly a move to retain him as a trade asset (granted he doesn't have much value, but he could still be a piece in a package deal). Qualifying him doesn't prevent him from signing with another NHL team if he wishes to do so. Sure the Sabres would be able to match and keep him, and doing that could certainly be petty and vindictive if they don't actually want him around, but the act of qualifying him in and of itself is not.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Good for Mak. Kid never got a chance after that Memorial Cup run in 2013, no reason to keep quiet about the bigotry he perceived. Fully expect Murray will qualify him just to be petty & vindictive.

keyword is perceived.

He had almost an entire season as starter in Rochester and was one of the worst goalies in the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He had almost an entire season as starter in Rochester and was one of the worst goalies in the league.

That's what I keep coming back to. His kick at the can was terrible. He didn't perform. But that's apparently all the Sabres fault. :laugh:

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
How is qualifying an RFA petty or vindictive? It's mainly a move to retain him as a trade asset (granted he doesn't have much value, but he could still be a piece in a package deal). Qualifying him doesn't prevent him from signing with another NHL team if he wishes to do so. Sure the Sabres would be able to match and keep him, and doing that could certainly be petty and vindictive if they don't actually want him around, but the act of qualifying him in and of itself is not.

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), the Sabres can cut him loose entirely or retain his rights for a few more years. He seemed to think the Sabres have no interest in him, so any move to retain his rights would be so nobody else can sign him. That seems a petty and vindictive thing to do (especially if he does enough in the KHL to draw interest from another team in the 2 year window mentioned in the article)

Maybe qualifying offer was the wrong phrase, my sentiment is any attempt to retain his rights would be petty & vindictive.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The main point to qualifying Makarov, imo, is in maintaining his value as a trade asset if he were to go to the KHL and perform well there. Makarov would still be an RFA and free to talk to any NHL club if Buffalo were to retain his rights. If there were mutual interest between him and another NHL club then that club could either a) offer to trade some (minor) asset for his rights or b) sign him to an offer sheet which would have no draft pick compensation attached. Now, if Buffalo were to refuse to trade his rights or match an offer sheet to keep him from another team then that could be petty and vindictive. But retaining his rights doesn't necessarily keep him from finding NHL employment elsewhere.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
That's what I keep coming back to. His kick at the can was terrible. He didn't perform. But that's apparently all the Sabres fault. :laugh:

Terrible in what way? He was 9-9 this season, gaa 2.82, sv % .916

Ullmark was 10-16, gaa 3.41, sv % .902
Lieuwen was 14 - 11 gaa 2.91, sv % .909

The year before, with Chadd and the revolving tank door roster

Makarov was 16-18, 2.91, .905
Hackett 8-5, 2.76, .904
Lieuwen 4-9, 3.29, .883

Looks to me he should have had a chance in 15/16 to build on his prior campaign. Not blaming the Sabres directly, Ullmark came over and needed time, Lehner came in, the depth chart was shuffled. May not have been with malice, but he didn't get a chance.

bad google said:
It's a shame not even the fact that I do not play. If I lost in a fair competition, that all questions would not be.

Doesn't feel he had a chance to secure a spot and then he implied there was bigotry

bad google said:
It seems to me that the "Buffalo" pretty much solves the general manager Tim Murray. Who plays and who does not - in its competence. But did you notice that the club from all Russian players got rid of? I was the last.

I interpret that lousy translation as Murray decides who plays, when they play & where they play. Makarov didn't play in Rochester for reasons beyond his numbers, he wasn't put in a healthy position. Interview even mentions he was alienated from the team and wasn't in the locker room, he had to dress by himself in another room.

bad google said:
In the main there are two goalkeepers, and I was considered the third. Believe me, I have to treat this with humor, and the guys kept, they say, wow, you have a separate room, like a star. But in fact this is not good

I'm not suggesting, hinting or implying that Makarov would be anything at all. That he would win a Vezina and all the Cups, or even be a regular NHL call up. I do have an off-topic concern if Murray is a bigot xenophobe willing to disregard 15-20% of the talent pool because of where they were born.

<edit>
bad google isn't a poster, it's actually the bad google translation of the link posted last page.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Only thing Murray dislikes more than Russian's is a short goalie. Makarov is 6' and some change.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Terrible in what way? He was 9-9 this season, gaa 2.82, sv % .916

Ullmark was 10-16, gaa 3.41, sv % .902
Lieuwen was 14 - 11 gaa 2.91, sv % .909

The year before, with Chadd and the revolving tank door roster

Makarov was 16-18, 2.91, .905
Hackett 8-5, 2.76, .904
Lieuwen 4-9, 3.29, .883

Looks to me he should have had a chance in 15/16 to build on his prior campaign. Not blaming the Sabres directly, Ullmark came over and needed time, Lehner came in, the depth chart was shuffled. May not have been with malice, but he didn't get a chance.

Doesn't feel he had a chance to secure a spot and then he implied there was bigotry

I interpret that lousy translation as Murray decides who plays, when they play & where they play. Makarov didn't play in Rochester for reasons beyond his numbers, he wasn't put in a healthy position. Interview even mentions he was alienated from the team and wasn't in the locker room, he had to dress by himself in another room.

I'm not suggesting, hinting or implying that Makarov would be anything at all. That he would win a Vezina and all the Cups, or even be a regular NHL call up. I do have an off-topic concern if Murray is a bigot xenophobe willing to disregard 15-20% of the talent pool because of where they were born.

<edit>
bad google isn't a poster, it's actually the bad google translation of the link posted last page.

Instead of merely pointing out numbers, did you watch him play 2 seasons ago? Because I sure did. He was incredibly inconsistent and poor. Lots of soft goals and back breaking goals. He wasn't good, end of story.

But if you want to stick with those numbers, that GAA was good for 45th in the AHL that season. His save % was a stellar improvement from there, all the way up to 42nd. He stunk and didn't give anyone a reason to give him another chance this season. It's professional hockey, not a charity.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Instead of merely pointing out numbers, did you watch him play 2 seasons ago? Because I sure did. He was incredibly inconsistent and poor. Lots of soft goals and back breaking goals. He wasn't good, end of story.

But if you want to stick with those numbers, that GAA was good for 45th in the AHL that season. His save % was a stellar improvement from there, all the way up to 42nd. He stunk and didn't give anyone a reason to give him another chance this season. It's professional hockey, not a charity.

That Amerks team had a trash coach, a weak roster and Makarov was in his first AHL season. Leading scorer was 68th overall, only 2 Amerks in the top 100 and Makarov showed more than his competition did in that dismal environment.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Two years ago he played 10 games and posted a 2.20 GAA? How possibly bad could you be posting a 2.20 GAA?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
That Amerks team had a trash coach, a weak roster and Makarov was in his first AHL season. Leading scorer was 68th overall, only 2 Amerks in the top 100 and Makarov showed more than his competition did in that dismal environment.

Did you watch? The goals were soft and it was clear he was a low level AHL goalie. The numbers back that up.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

While I second this and always thought he had at least backup potential at the NHl level if he could find some consistency in his game....seeya dont let the door hit ya on the way out...

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Makarov back to Russia

Even though the whole thing seemed to end pretty bad, if he ends up going back to the KHL and being a good goalie do the Sabres retain his rights or does he become a UFA if/when he returns?

I don't think Murray would want him back after all the "Murray hates Russians" talk, but it's an asset that walks away for free, even if he's a career AHLer.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I guess technically if we qualified him and then he bolted to Russia, we'd retain his rights...but that would be a pretty serious dick move considering he's bolting to Russia because we're not qualifying him.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
forgot to post the link http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/s...ves-for-russia-wants-to-prove-himself-in-khl/

I just don't get why we wouldn't either move him or at least offer a QO. When I first read about his "bashing" Murray and Buffalo I figured he was just being whiney, but as I keep seeing more stuff come out it seems like he really did get sort of shafted. I understand when you're part of a team you do what's asked of you as a professional, but team mates say he was never bad in the locker room and always did what was asked on the ice. While off the ice they gave his locker to someone else and had him dress alone in an office next to the locker room is pretty bad optics. **** happens, I know, but put together with some of the other stuff he had to deal with I kind of feel bad for him. He does seem to have cause for at least some of the bitterness, I mean who changes goalies after a guy posts a shutout, especially to a worse goalie. Some of it just seems spiteful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese