Prospect Info: Andrey Makarov (2012 via UFA) – '15-16: Rochester #1 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Good interview, thanks for sharing. It'll be interesting to see what kind of opportunities he can earn this year. To me, he's our best goaltending prospect currently in the North American pros -- more upside than Hackett or Lieuwen.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Like this kid. How are we going to put Makarov, Hackett, or Lieuwen in the ECHL next year?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Like this kid. How are we going to put Makarov, Hackett, or Lieuwen in the ECHL next year?

Between Hackett's knee injury at the end of the year last year and Neuvirth's injury history, I doubt it will be too much of an issue

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
A lot of us thought he would get that start in Buffalo against the Islanders.
At that point preserving his health for the AHL playoff run was more important than NHL Buffalo winning.
A win against the islanders would have been good for his development. A brutal loss might have hurt his mental prep going into the playoffs.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Good interview, thanks for sharing. It'll be interesting to see what kind of opportunities he can earn this year. To me, he's our best goaltending prospect currently in the North American pros -- more upside than Hackett or Lieuwen.

You and I both Paxon. This kid looked comfortable when I watched him in Rochester. He has the skills that is for sure. I remember saying awhile back "just develop kid, just develop". By all accounts that is his focus, getting better and honing his skills for a higher level of competition, love it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I don't think he has more upside than Lieuwen, but we will see in time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Too bad he could never turn his WJC highs into more consistent pro moments.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Too bad he could never turn his WJC highs into more consistent pro moments.

He could. It's all on Buffalo. The goaltending situation is still ridic. Good for Andrei to leave.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He could. It's all on Buffalo. The goaltending situation is still ridic. Good for Andrei to leave.

Eh, he dropped some turds pretty regularly so while the team may have some issue in his development by having a crowded development group in net, he did himself no favors by not performing better.

I wish him well. I loved watching him in the WJC's and thought they may have captured lightning in a bottle when they signed him.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Eh, he dropped some turds pretty regularly so while the team may have some issue in his development by having a crowded development group in net, he did himself no favors by not performing better.

I wish him well. I loved watching him in the WJC's and thought they may have captured lightning in a bottle when they signed him.

He will be a solid starter... somewhere.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The situation isn't ridiculous. I like Makarov and wish him well, but he didn't get the short end of the stick here.

Agreed. It was almost the opposite. To me, it was clear that the job was there for the taking for someone - ANYONE - Makky included. He didn't step up, and that's that, period, stop.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Good luck to him. I hope he does well moving forward. I actually think this makes our goaltending situation a little better going forward as we have one less player that will be taking up a spot who really isn't in the plans of the big club.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Agreed. It was almost the opposite. To me, it was clear that the job was there for the taking for someone - ANYONE - Makky included. He didn't step up, and that's that, period, stop.

He didn't step up? where? how many NHL starts was he given?

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
He didn't step up? where? how many NHL starts was he given?

In Rochester. When did he take that Amerks job by the horns and force his way to Buffalo? This system was begging for someone to step up at goaltender at the AHL level in recent years - Hackett, Makarov, Lieuwen, whomever - and, unfortunately, none of them did.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He is well capabale of it on a team that would give him a fair chance.

If he can't step up to become a starter in a VERY shaky crease in Rochester, there is NOTHING that points to him being capable of being an NHL starter.

I don't hate the guy. I just think you are severely overrating him. I wish him well in the K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad