Andrew MacDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
How can anyone have faith we will sign a good UFA dman? Amac is probably the 3rd-5th best UFA dman. Imagine if we signed Amac and Morris type.... A crazy concept called depth.

Saying Amac is blocking kiddies is losing team logic. When a kiddie is good enough to make the team and outplay him its great it means.... more depth. Good teams have depth, we end up playing 2 of Ness/ Donovan/Martinek/Carkner/Strait every night and people want to get rid of Amac and add another kiddie, sound logic ...

Dark vans with a free candy sign is the losing team mentality. Its time to grow up

Andrew MacDonald is not a good defensemen. The majority of depth defensemen in the NHL can step in and perform at a higher level. He hurts the team more than he helps.

**Note: I brought up earlier in the season that Calvin de Haan could come up and outperform Amac. Needless to say, I got slammed by a few posters.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
How can anyone have faith we will sign a good UFA dman? Amac is probably the 3rd-5th best UFA dman. Imagine if we signed Amac and Morris type.... A crazy concept called depth.

Saying Amac is blocking kiddies is losing team logic. When a kiddie is good enough to make the team and outplay him its great it means.... more depth. Good teams have depth, we end up playing 2 of Ness/ Donovan/Martinek/Carkner/Strait every night and people want to get rid of Amac and add another kiddie, sound logic ...

Dark vans with a free candy sign is the losing team mentality. Its time to grow up

The problem is that Amac is not one of these good UFA defenseman that you speak of. Currently he should be skating in a bottom pairing on one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. I think most here agree with that statement.

Inking a 5-6 Dman for a contract that is worth 5/25 mil is not in this teams best interest. And it would no doubt be a backloaded contract with I'm guessing a salary that pays 7-7.5 mil in the last two years, if not more. Just look at Baileys contract for reference.

Why lock up this crap player long-term with one of the best D prospect pools in the league. We're not ready too make the big challenge next year anyway, maybe 2015 if we get some of these younger guys getting meaningful minutes. It's already done wonders for deHAAN and Nelson. Hopefully Strome comes on strong the rest of the way, and that becomes a strength for this club instead of the question mark by playing all of these ****** veterans.

Sometimes rookies outplay the veterans, especially when they are the caliber of Amac.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
You are right, they just gave him a spot. If they would have given the spot to a player that earned it, Reinhart would be here right now.

Wait... I forgot. Prospects can earn spots based on their TC play. How do they earn it, again?

Track record? What does that mean? We can't play prospects because we have a poor track record? Why even draft players? Why not just trade all picks for established talent?

So basically you've admitted that you know nothing about Reinhart, and that you are just assuming he will suck because of the Islanders track record. Seems reasonable.

No, I just don't drink the kool-aid that Reinhart is Chris Pronger part deux. Remember, Chris Pronger was horrible when he first came into the league...maybe it was him, but also the team he was on stunk. Zach B in ATL/WPG was ready...uh-huh, that team stinks and his development shows it. Yet, the LAKings brought up Doughty on a BETTER team and it shows. Subban... I prefer the isles either UPGRADE the friggin team before giving Reinhart a spot or let him play in the AHL before showing up on this annual last place disaster.

The Isles do not have a development culture in place because Wanger wants cheap talent over better more expensive talent to win.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Andrew MacDonald is not a good defensemen. The majority of depth defensemen in the NHL can step in and perform at a higher level. He hurts the team more than he helps.

**Note: I brought up earlier in the season that Calvin de Haan could come up and outperform Amac. Needless to say, I got slammed by a few posters.

Yet we also anticipate a a good return for him at the deadline.

Kind of juxtaposed, those positions. No?

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Sometimes rookies outplay the veterans, especially when they are the caliber of Amac.

So lets force feed the kiddies into the lineup into positions they are not ready for in a losing culture! Sounds like the perfect plan for success:amazed: Sign Amac and another UFA dman and we actually could have depth, something you apparently don't want or think 19-21 year olds are the answer. Teams without depth finish in the basement see New York Islanders 1994-2014 save a few years

The players you mentioned each spent at least a year in the AHL. Magically they look better than Bailey and Nino who were handed roster spots based on junior merits. Nino looks a heck of alot better after a year in the AHL. How is Adam healthy scratch Larsson doing for the Devils. I sense a pattern. Before you say it, guys like JT are the exception not the rule.

Its amazing how the organization makes the same mistakes year in and year out and fans want to see the mistake repeated.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
So lets force feed the kiddies into the lineup into positions they are not ready for in a losing culture! Sounds like the perfect plan for success:amazed: Sign Amac and another UFA dman and we actually could have depth, something you apparently don't want or think 19-21 year olds are the answer. Teams without depth finish in the basement see New York Islanders 1994-2014 save a few years

The players you mentioned each spent at least a year in the AHL. Magically they look better than Bailey and Nino who were handed roster spots based on junior merits. Nino looks a heck of alot better after a year in the AHL. How is Adam healthy scratch Larsson doing for the Devils. I sense a pattern. Before you say it, guys like JT are the exception not the rule.

Its amazing how the organization makes the same mistakes year in and year out and fans want to see the mistake repeated.

I should have added in my response that I want to sign an UFA Dman or two. I was only stating part of my stance going forward with this team and I can see how my post was misconstrued.

I'd be looking for a couple of UFA Dman that would give us a bridge contract(2-3 years) rather than locking in a terrible contract for Amac. Regarding Amac, we've done better in the waiver wire dumpster for peanuts than what Amac would command.

Once Vanek is gone, we are forced to spend. Hopefully it goes to the defense and goaltending situation. Let Amac go elsewhere.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Team logic is this, Andrew Macdonald is seriously over rated. His biggest claim to fame is his outrageous TOI. Which has more to do with an incompetent coach than his ability. And if he is signed to the deal he wants, 5 years, and he's not blocking "kiddies" by the second year, then Garth will have undoubtably been a colossal failure as a drafter and developer of talent. Then, with a deal like 5/5 he will likely be unmovable.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
No, I just don't drink the kool-aid that Reinhart is Chris Pronger part deux. Remember, Chris Pronger was horrible when he first came into the league...maybe it was him, but also the team he was on stunk. Zach B in ATL/WPG was ready...uh-huh, that team stinks and his development shows it. Yet, the LAKings brought up Doughty on a BETTER team and it shows. Subban... I prefer the isles either UPGRADE the friggin team before giving Reinhart a spot or let him play in the AHL before showing up on this annual last place disaster.

The Isles do not have a development culture in place because Wanger wants cheap talent over better more expensive talent to win.

I'm curious to see what your plan is, considering you have no faith in the Isles' ability to bring in even decent UFAs; you want A-Mac re-signed; and you don't want Reinhart in the NHL. Essentially you want the same exact defense. You'd rather go in with the same exact defense instead of giving Reinhart a shot?

BTW, what does the Pronger comp. even mean? Does Reinhart have to be Pronger to help this team? Young guys all around the league have helped their teams succeed this year. Defensemen who are the same age as Reinhart. I don't know why it's assumed that Reinhart will be the exception, considering he'll have a full year of development on those guys, and he's just a flat out better prospect than most of them.

What does Larsson have to do with Reinhart? Reinhart's had two full years of development after being drafted. Larsson had zero. In fact, Reinhart has had more development than any defenseman picked in the top-5 since Thomas Hickey(who had an excuse - he regressed). The whole "let's play the kiddies" routine is a joke, and doesn't apply. If anything, the Islanders have been the most cautious team in the league with their high-end prospects - at this point, it will be impossible to rush Reinhart.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Team logic is this, Andrew Macdonald is seriously over rated. His biggest claim to fame is his outrageous TOI. Which has more to do with an incompetent coach than his ability. And if he is signed to the deal he wants, 5 years, and he's not blocking "kiddies" by the second year, then Garth will have undoubtably been a colossal failure as a drafter and developer of talent. Then, with a deal like 5/5 he will likely be unmovable.

But think of the crazy depth!!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
But think of the crazy depth!!

What are your thoughts on Ness? Because with your thought process we will see more of him next season!:handclap:

Hammer (concussion)
CDH (shoulder)
Vis(concussion)
Hickey
Strait
Reinhart
Donovan

What if ONE of those guys gets hurt.... ONE?
Let's say Garth goes out and gets Anderson AND Khudobin, we do NOT make playoffs with that defensive lineup. Hopefully Pokka, Mayfield, and Pedan come in to save the day!:handclap:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
What are your thoughts on Ness? Because with your thought process we will see more of him next season!:handclap:

Hammer (concussion)
CDH (shoulder)
Vis(concussion)
Hickey
Strait
Reinhart
Donovan

Let's say Garth goes out and gets Anderson AND Khudobin, we do NOT make playoffs with that defensive lineup. Hopefully Pokka, Mayfield, and Pedan come in to save the day!:handclap:

Derek Morris + AHL vet. Literally one page back. Give AMac 5 years because someone might get hurt? Makes sense. Again...

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Vis
Hickey - Morris
x - Strait; Carkner

AHL Vet, Pulock, Donovan, Pokka, Mayfield, Pelech, Pedan

Even if all of those 'injury prone' guys go down at the same time, you'll only need one of six Bridgeport 'kiddies' to be call-up worthy. I like those odds. Those odds are probably better than the odds of our 3 best defensemen going down at once.

Depth without AMac? Impossible.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

Hammer (concussion)
CDH (shoulder)
Vis(concussion)
Hickey
Strait
Reinhart
Donovan

You don't think Garth could/would add a player in the offseason if he felt he needed to? Doesn't even have to be top 4. A depth guy. He's shown he can at least trade for a decent d man, acquired Wiz and Viz.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Derek Morris + AHL vet. Literally one page back. Give AMac 5 years because someone might get hurt? Makes sense. Again...

CdH - Hamonic
Reinhart - Vis
Hickey - Morris
x - Strait; Carkner

AHL Vet, Pulock, Donovan, Pokka, Mayfield, Pelech, Pedan

Even if all of those 'injury prone' guys go down at the same time, you'll only need one of six Bridgeport 'kiddies' to be call-up worthy. I like those odds. Those odds are probably better than the odds of our 3 best defensemen going down at once.

Depth without AMac? Impossible.

You have a rookie and a concussion case 38 yr old as your 2nd pairing? I don't like that at all...

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
You don't think Garth could/would add a player in the offseason if he felt he needed to? Doesn't even have to be top 4. A depth guy. He's shown he can at least trade for a decent d man, acquired Wiz and Viz.

He also never acquired a goalie. I'm not getting my hopes up AGAIN.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
What makes one think we will sign Morris. His market value is 3.5-4.5 million depending on term. Phoenix would probably be able to get a hometown discount. This will most likely be a retirement contract for Morris. For Morris to sign with a team in permanent "re-build" we would need to pay him above market, probably 5 million. Even than Morris may want to sign with a cup contender, we are lucky to be playoff contenders.

What makes anyone think Garth will overpay for a UFA? History has proved he won't.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
What makes one think we will sign Morris. His market value is 3.5-4.5 million depending on term. Phoenix would probably be able to get a hometown discount. This will most likely be a retirement contract for Morris. For Morris to sign with a team in permanent "re-build" we would need to pay him above market, probably 5 million. Even than Morris may want to sign with a cup contender, we are lucky to be playoff contenders.

What makes anyone think Garth will overpay for a UFA? History has proved he won't.

He over payed for PMB. He's going to have to pay someone, just to get to the floor. Again, all about term. I would offer Morris 5 a year for 2 years, before giving Macdonald 5 for 5. But that's me.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Better management is icing the best possible team. If Reinhart appears to be a part of that group, he plays. Taking any other approach will be a huge mistake.
But you're the only guy here that thinks Reinhart in the line up to start the season is going to result in the best possible team. If we don't get at least 1 good UFA then I would have to agree with you but that will result in another disappointing season. Icing the best possible team would be bringing in a big right shot D-man or two and Reinhart in the AHL as depth. We will see if Snow has the balls to compete with the big boys or cheap out again this off season. Both Hickey and Carkner come off the books after that and the kiddies will be here if they are ready.

MikeT98213

Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Clearly, I'm not a fan of MacDonald but I'd be OK in signing him if he were more reasonable in his asking price. When he turned down 4 years at $4 million per, he officially wore out his welcome for me.

As comparables, both Ryan McDonagh and Cam Fowler make $4 million/year. Is he in that class? A real comparable is the contract that the Flames' Kris Russell just signed...2 years/$2.6 million per.

I agree the team needs defensive depth but when you pay $5 million per season, you expect much more than a depth defenseman. The expectation is of a true top 3-4 defenseman and, on a good team, AMac is no more than a 3rd pair guy.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
He over payed for PMB. He's going to have to pay someone, just to get to the floor. Again, all about term. I would offer Morris 5 a year for 2 years, before giving Macdonald 5 for 5. But that's me.

On a a one year deal worth $2 mil. Major investment there...Garth must be so smart he only gave the guy a one year deal...hilarious. Probably because Boyes wanted a two year and Garth balked. Instead, paying more for PMB and getting way less value out of it. That's ok, he signs good contracts!

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I'm curious to see what your plan is, considering you have no faith in the Isles' ability to bring in even decent UFAs; you want A-Mac re-signed; and you don't want Reinhart in the NHL. Essentially you want the same exact defense. You'd rather go in with the same exact defense instead of giving Reinhart a shot?

BTW, what does the Pronger comp. even mean? Does Reinhart have to be Pronger to help this team? Young guys all around the league have helped their teams succeed this year. Defensemen who are the same age as Reinhart. I don't know why it's assumed that Reinhart will be the exception, considering he'll have a full year of development on those guys, and he's just a flat out better prospect than most of them.

What does Larsson have to do with Reinhart? Reinhart's had two full years of development after being drafted. Larsson had zero. In fact, Reinhart has had more development than any defenseman picked in the top-5 since Thomas Hickey(who had an excuse - he regressed). The whole "let's play the kiddies" routine is a joke, and doesn't apply. If anything, the Islanders have been the most cautious team in the league with their high-end prospects - at this point, it will be impossible to rush Reinhart.

The isles are trying to build team using the bare minimum cost associated with it. Wanger has figured out this is OK with the fans because they continue to show up annually. Players also know this - that's why they do NOT sign with the team.

Ever notice how the Isles try for players but get shunned once they use wacky contract methods? Ever notice the Isles are left with scraps in UFA? They may give term to guys that will not get it elsewhere, but so not reward players that are set to earn market value. That sound like a great place to work? Players are loyal to Wanger once they come on board bc he does treat those that are loyal to him well. However, he does not separate the business part of it.

When the Isles got Peca and Yashin it sent a message to the league that they were serious about turning the corner - we know that was all about Wanger and the LHP. Now? It's run in the cheap and is an annual last place finisher except a shortened season. For Xmas sake, the team couldn't even capitalize on the one lone playoff momentum they had. Why? Because Wanger wanted to keep a cap floor budget rather than ammo up and go for it - PAY for better players, create a winning culture, then let the kids grow into that. Rather, isles have this culture of 'the kids will find their way' with little to no veteran leadership. Seriously, the Isles believe Weight is that leader - he's the assistant coach, not a player. That tells you budget backward this team is.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia

PMB was a guy willing to accept any deal to try to stay in the NHL.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
On a a one year deal worth $2 mil. Major investment there...Garth must be so smart he only gave the guy a one year deal...hilarious. Probably because Boyes wanted a two year and Garth balked. Instead, paying more for PMB and getting way less value out of it. That's ok, he signs good contracts!

You're proving my point. He over paid in the short term, it didn't work out, the team isn't hamstrung with a long term commitment.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
You're proving my point. He over paid in the short term, it didn't work out, the team isn't hamstrung with a long term commitment.

Definately didnt commit long term. we also might finish last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad