Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ladd UFA- 7yrs/ 5.5 AAV

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
He was hot garbage - he was given an opportunity after all the summer hype of making the team and earning a spot as it's #2C.

He was terrible, hence, why he was sent down. I would argue 'this year' he has matured and hopefully he can play at the NHL level bc it was obvious last year he wasn't ready.

The kid was 19 years old, had a very good camp and struggled a few games out of the gate. The whole team sucked out of the gate. We have not seen the real NHLer this kid will be.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The kid was 19 years old, had a very good camp and struggled a few games out of the gate. The whole team sucked out of the gate. We have not seen the real NHLer this kid will be.

How long does that take, 1/4 of a season, 1/2 a season, a full season? If it takes any of those amounts of time to figure it out in the NHL he cannot be trusted to be the 2C right away.

Again, we have played this 2C game with both Strome and Nelson and both were given too long of a leash. I don't doubt that he'll get there in a year or two, but I'm not comfortable with him there at the start of the season.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I would love for Barzal to actually establish himself as a NHL player vs the hot garbage he was last year after all the hype of him being ready to takeover the #2 C spot...

hot garbage in the two games where he got barely any playing time? please

been a while--hello, devils advocate...how are you?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
hot garbage in the two games where he got barely any playing time? please

been a while--hello, devils advocate...how are you?

He was pretty terrible, especially defensively. I've mentioned before how awful I thought he was and re-watched segments of his shifts, he really wasn't ready for the NHL.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Hot garbage for two games. Ok. Wow.
Regardless, he tore up the lower ranks this year and is as enticing an offensive center as we've got comin.

Anyway, I would ideally like him to have a year at Bridgeport, but given the current situation- and assuming he has a great camp- I won't be crying if he's playing between two solid vets.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Hot garbage for two games. Ok. Wow.
Regardless, he tore up the lower ranks this year and is as enticing an offensive center as we've got comin.

Anyway, I would ideally like him to have a year at Bridgeport, but given the current situation- and assuming he has a great camp- I won't be crying if he's playing between two solid vets.

He played as an over-ager in juniors. Forgive me for not really believing that 20 year old playing against 17 year olds equates to NHL ready.

You know who else tore it up as a 20 year old in juniors?

Dal Colle
Strome

How did that turn out?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
He played as an over-ager in juniors. Forgive me for not really believing that 20 year old playing against 17 year olds equates to NHL ready.

Dal Colle
Strome

How did that turn out?

first off, strome put up 60 points his soph year......he is hardly done

to insinuate that the MDC story is fully told is ridiculous

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
How long does that take, 1/4 of a season, 1/2 a season, a full season? If it takes any of those amounts of time to figure it out in the NHL he cannot be trusted to be the 2C right away.

Again, we have played this 2C game with both Strome and Nelson and both were given too long of a leash. I don't doubt that he'll get there in a year or two, but I'm not comfortable with him there at the start of the season.

Except we never really did give them a leash at 2C. They were both shuffled between positions and lines relentlessly, even when playing well. We saw Lee-Strome-Nelson as a dynamic young line and then Cappy started playing his sytematic and development games.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island

Dal Colle
Strome

How did that turn out?

It was his draft +1 year, but he was not an overager. He wasn't 20, he only turned 20 a couple of weeks ago.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Dal Colle
Strome

How did that turn out?

Strome was in a higher scoring OHL and put up 36-61-97 in 57 games including playoffs games in the same season as Barzal who did 17-87-104 also in 57 games. Barzal also played longer in the playoffs (tougher opponents.) It's not even apples and oranges, but Strome played ion the higher league, and oh ****, was a 50 point player in his first full season here. Now let's not act like Strome is a massive bust yet. You're a full if you couldn't see his game torn right out from under him by Capuano. Rather than tweaking his system to suit the skills of his players, he tried to tweak his players to fit his system, which led to poor play, which led to benching and lack of confidence and indecision. Strome may never be the player we expected but he very well could be with a real coach. And Anyone would take 50 points from Barzal (or any 2C)

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site

Dal Colle
Strome

How did that turn out?

Hmmm. This is a guy slated to be a top 10 pick in his draft year. Thanks to an injury and some odd picks, he fell. Represented Canada quite well last year. I dunno. Guess there's no jump off point for Barzal good enough.
As I said, ideally he'd be in the minors for a bit, but he's got skills. I don't doubt that.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Except we never really did give them a leash at 2C. They were both shuffled between positions and lines relentlessly, even when playing well. We saw Lee-Strome-Nelson as a dynamic young line and then Cappy started playing his sytematic and development games.

That is very true, you are correct, maybe they should've been allowed longer stints at center.

However, I think that with everything going on surrounding this team: trading Strome for Eberle, trading Hamonic for futures, seemingly going all in on Duchene to hopefully help JT's thoughts on an extension, the time is over to have a leash on a young promising center as the 2C.

If that's what we have to do come October so be it, but it does not solve the win-now philosophy that the team should have.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Andrew Ladd has a new foundation in which you literally fish for prehistoric species of fish. Also, he's fairly ripped.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
would be nice if ladd had the courage to fight more nhl players instead of going after defenseless animals.

Yes, punching human beings in the face is way more noble and courageous than going fishing. :shakehead Not to mention that this is a charity event for his foundation that gives money to sick children.

But why am I not surprised that you would find something negative about this?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Yes, punching human beings in the face is way more noble and courageous than going fishing. :shakehead Not to mention that this is a charity event for his foundation that gives money to sick children.

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Maybe start a Is Stranger34 being sarcastic poll ?

Anyway , hockey players are the most down to earth real people ( IMO) of all major sports .
So many players give back to society and the less fortunate. WTG Andrew Ladd. Might soon be Captain Andrew Ladd. You never know.
I wish I was there . Looks like a blast .

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
would be nice if ladd had the courage to fight more nhl players instead of going after defenseless animals.

here here, I would rather not know what goes on in my favorite athletes lives as I am sure it would make me dislike them, if I knew who my favorite athletes voted for in the elections I am guessing I would stop watching sports all together

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016

punching humans who are both willing to drop the gloves is alot more noble than going after a defenseless creature who is just wanting to live and let live

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
here here, I would rather not know what goes on in my favorite athletes lives as I am sure it would make me dislike them, if I knew who my favorite athletes voted for in the elections I am guessing I would stop watching sports all together

Mixing sports and politics is sacrilegious. Its true, its better to not know.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
punching humans who are both willing to drop the gloves is alot more noble than going after a defenseless creature who is just wanting to live and let live

:laugh:

So you're "pro-fighting" but "anti-fishing?" :laugh::laugh: Defenseless creatures??? Give me a break...

Are you a vegan? Or a hypocrite?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Mixing sports and politics is sacrilegious. Its true, its better to not know.

Most pro athletes are pretty apolitical and I really wouldn't be moved either way based on who they vote for or where they stand politically. The ones that are informed and passionate about politics (at least publicly) are few and far between. Curt Schilling and Mike Richter come to mind...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad