Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ladd UFA- 7yrs/ 5.5 AAV

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He won't retire, he still can make 17 million and 13 million of that is signing bonuses.

But I wonder if all his injuries combined are worth LTIR for a long time. Worth noting I don't think it's been done for that long to a guy who didn't have a head injury.

Also, if it's five months.. how long until he's realistically an option for even AHL conditioning? He'd be healthy by training camp allegedly but if it's a knee injury good chance he won't be working out in that time frame.

I think it's entirely possible he plays the year in the A next year just out of practical reasons if he comes back as

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Senile Lou was the one who brought in Flip, Komarov and Lehner - ya know, just a few guys who have made a pretty crucial impact on the 2018-19 Islanders.

So why don't we say 70/30 Trotz/Lou?

Don't forget Martin. I know he was "replacable" because of a better Chimera. I know Chimera was a better player overall, he just couldn't fill Martin's intangibles (I know this is a overused word, but it fits here).

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Can't help feeling sorry for him. 5 months out after spending most of this season out must be such a blow.

I'm a total believer in empathy, but when Ladd is on the ice does it look like he truly wants to be there? It hasn't to me for a long time.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
The most motivated incredibly fit 20 something pro athlete cannot come back from an ACL in 5 months. An already slow 35 year old with questionable motivation ain't coming back. Maybe not at all.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It happens to every team for a game or two or three.

But to be at 1-37 over a 19 game span (19 games is just under 20% of the season) is beyond bad. Not even sure there’s a word for it. One PP goal in almost 20% of the season. And that doesn’t even count the terrible like 1 PP goal in 10 games stretch they had earlier in the season. Poop.
That stat, 1 for 37 on the power play, is mind boggling.
Hard to believe they could be so bad,so unproductive.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
That stat, 1 for 37 on the power play, is mind boggling.
Hard to believe they could be so bad,so unproductive.

37 power plays is more than an entire NHL game in minutes. That's hard to do. Granted, some of those power plays were < 2 minutes duration.
Coaching needs to take the fall for this in the off season but realistically, it's more about the lack of offensive talent on the squad.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
37 power plays is more than an entire NHL game in minutes. That's hard to do. Granted, some of those power plays were < 2 minutes duration.
Coaching needs to take the fall for this in the off season but realistically, it's more about the lack of offensive talent on the squad.

Trotz was asked about how involved he gets with the coaching,when the team is struggling. He indicated he pretty much let's his coaches take the lead.

I do not see how Gomez keeps his job if the power play continues to be this ineffective and biting the isles on the azz.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
I never liked this signing, too many years. Ladd was a productive player, but not in years. The back-up goalie turned GM brought in Ladd to replayed Kyle Okposo, and it turned out that both player's career are probably over due to injuries.

Put in him on the Long Term Injury List and free up a couple million $$$ on cap space.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
We should have signed Nielsen instead. He is a defensively responsible center, and still healthy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ladd has played 15 professional seasons. Hard to believe. He's had a good, long career. Made a lot of money in this sport. If he is not at his best after the operation, one hopes he won't hang around and collect a salary in the AHL. I don't think he will. Call me an optimist, but I think Lou will get this contract to disappear.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I guess Dallas isn't the only team who's deadline prize possession is injured.
Just think of the boost it will be for the whole team to have a healthy Ladd doing what he does best on the ice next October.
Not a thread, but an April Fool's Post!

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Don't pay for past production. Don't pay for past production. Don't pay for past production.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Don't pay for past production. Don't pay for past production. Don't pay for past production.
Do you have a crystal ball then? All contracts are based on past performance with a calculated guess how long that can be sustained into the future or life of the contract.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Do you have a crystal ball then? All contracts are based on past performance with a calculated guess how long that can be sustained into the future or life of the contract.

When a player is 31 years old, already showing signs of decline, and you sign him to a 7 year deal, you are clearly paying for past performance, not future, and no one needs a crystal ball to see that. It's an unforced error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad