Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

blueracer17

Sep 27, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I watched his video last week from when he went to the recycling center in Edmonton with a group of young kids. I was so impressed with his sincerity. You could tell he was engaged in the moment and having fun with the kids. I give a big thumbs up to his selection as captain of the Oilers. I think he will be a great captain, a huge step from the last two for sure.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'm content with the choice.

P.S. Any comment from Wayne Gretz (hack writer for Oilernation)?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Great to see this. Got on Ference from time to time for his play, but he always stepped it up in big games. And his attitude as a leader is fantastic. Hope you guys make the playoffs this year. :)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The only things I'm concerned about are his age and his earlier injury history. He seems to be staying relatively healthy over the past three years so hopefully that trend continues. We'll need it.
I hope so too. The last two name d-men the team brought in (Souray and Whitney) didn't work out so well.
I remember people calling for them to be made captain at the time as well - using a lot of the same words I see in this thread. Leadership, fresh voice, veteran, winner, not beholden to anyone in the organization, blah blah blah ....

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
the thing about ference that i think is the most note-worthy is that his public persona and his personal persona are essentially exactly the same. i think lots of celebs wish this was the case but it isn't. ference is as down-to-earth and sincere a guy you will ever meet.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Love the choice, he'll be the Captain for the next 4 years then retire and the captaincy will move to Hall.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He's a 34 year old #4 d-man who has had injury problems for years. If anyone thinks his play wont fall off, they are kidding themselves. This past season was the first time in 5 years that he didn't miss substantial time due to injury. 3 of those seasons he missed 20+ games. Damn right his play is going to fall off.

So the old, "if someone disagrees they're not seeing straight" line. Well, no. Someone in great physical shape at that age can maintain a level of play if it's a fundamentally sound game that they play. I'm not disagreeing that his play might fall...but to call it like the coming of winter is a bit premature.

And he's only missed like 20 games the last 3 years. That's not bad.

Old Time Sauce

Oct 8, 2008
Another bruins fan coming in here to endorse this. First guy on the ice to stand up for his teammates, always steps up in the big moments. He is everything a professional athlete should be, if you ever see him walking around edmonton don't think twice about saying hello, guy will even stay and make some small talk for a minute or two. There isnt a better guy to groom Hall to be a captain and i think that this is what Ference getting the C is all about.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm content with the choice.

P.S. Any comment from Wayne Gretz (hack writer for Oilernation)?

He made a slip, but getting the scoop on Horcoff's recommendation was probably just too good to pass up. Heck, I've made the same mistake before as well. It's just too tempting to bother to wait until after the fact to say "I knew that already" and have people roll their eyes at you.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I hope so too. The last two name d-men the team brought in (Souray and Whitney) didn't work out so well. I remember people calling for them to be made captain at the time as well - using a lot of the same words I see in this thread. Leadership, fresh voice, veteran, winner, not beholden to anyone in the organization, blah blah blah ....

What about Lubo? He turned out pretty well for us when he was here.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
He made a slip, but getting the scoop on Horcoff's recommendation was probably just too good to pass up. Heck, I've made the same mistake before as well. It's just too tempting to bother to wait until after the fact to say "I knew that already" and have people roll their eyes at you.

If I remember the blog correctly he did a little more than just slip. He made an ass of himself. There was not an ounce of humility there. Maybe if there had been I wouldn't be laughing at him now. I get that that's part of Wayne's "schtick," but if you're going to play that role, then don't expect any understanding from me when you screw up.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wanted Hall to be captain but the more I think about it this is the right choice. At most Ference is here for 4-6 years, long enough for Hall to learn plenty from him and take over when he's in his mid-late 20's. At this point it would have been a mistake giving one of our young guys the captaincy over a guy like Ference who's been through it all and has been a leader on one of the best teams in the league. The Bruins have an identity and that's what we want to form here. Couldn't really ask for a better captain right now. Jason Smith esque and a huge upgrade over Horcoff. Horc just seemed like one of those guys who said the right things but never led by example. Ference is the opposite. He can deal with the pressure of being a captain and Hall probably couldn't just yet. Love the move and love the signing more and more each day we hear things about him.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Hopefully won't turn into a Chris Clark situation in a couple years, because there are lots of talented defensive prospects in the system that'll be knocking for jobs with legitimate cases in a couple years. If Nurse progresses at all he could probably play next season, as he didn't look out of place now. If Klefbom can get comfortable and shake off the rust, he might even be ready this season, if not next. Fedun looked nice, so does Marancin and Gernat.

Obviously Nick Schultz is the bottom man on the totem pole right now, but if J. Schultz and Belov progress and Smid and Petry continue to play fine, that doesn't leave much space for our new captain in a couple seasons!

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
Excellent choice period. I don't care about length of years with the team. Pishpash. Best man for the job considering we had Horcoff/Moreau/ Smith as our last ones this is a breath of fresh air. Please explain to me what his height has to do with being named ? He is here for a few years and hopefully can groom the kids to pass it on. Talked to him at the game the other night and thought what a genuine person.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
Dream occurrence going to the game in van on the 27th hope he beats up kassian then gives the arena the bird. I'd give him a standing O

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The C is largely symbolic, which is why I don't like this. It's clearly Taylor Hall's team, should've just been passed on to him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Not one Bruin fan in their forum thinks this is a bad choice .

really shows what a good signing this was by MacT

Dream occurrence going to the game in van on the 27th hope he beats up kassian then gives the arena the bird. I'd give him a standing O

He'd lose to Kassian. Gazdic or SMac (if he's back) are the ones who should go after Kassian

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What about Lubo? He turned out pretty well for us when he was here.
Yes he was. But then he couldn't wait to get out of Edmonton and back to California.
So we can't really say that "worked out".

Certainly Souray had an AllStar season in Edmonton. And Whitney was better than decent for about seventy games there over parts of two seasons.

Not trying to knock any of these guys (big Souray fan) just saying that we haven't had real good luck with our veteran d-man acquisitions. I think your mention of Lubo only adds to the point I was trying to make.

Sure hope Ference can deliver.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Sounds like a decent choice but the guy I will look to lead this team on the ice is Hall. Hall has earned my respect as the leader and I'm sure he will get a "C" one day.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
The C is largely symbolic, which is why I don't like this. It's clearly Taylor Hall's team, should've just been passed on to him.

How does anyone think this is Halls team? Good player who plays all out most nights and gives a crap yes but his team? Best player on the team maybe and likely. Somehow entitled to be the captain? Rubbish.

Bunch of fans say so I suppose that should make it so. Fan fantasy.

Ference by a country mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad