Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Ference has done more for this town in one month than Hall has in his entire career. So that's a moot point. His November project thing is huge, as it embraces Edmonton's unique river valley while motivating people to be active, with him personally as equals. Not to mention the other extra community outreach programs he does, like school trips. This guy was made to be a captain.

Seems like a great guy! The problem for me is im only see a Boston logo when i hear his name.

Winning cups for Boston doesnt counts in my book to be an Oiler Captain.

But the thing are, hes pretty old and it give Hall 2 more years to establish himself as the new Captain when we going for a run at the cup.

It must feel a bit strange though for Smid to understand this move when Hall didnt get the C, Teamfriendly contract. longtime oiler who never takes a shift off.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Seems like a great guy! The problem for me is im only see a Boston logo when i hear his name.

Winning cups for Boston doesnt counts in my book to be an Oiler Captain.

But the thing are, hes pretty old and it give Hall 2 more years to establish himself as the new Captain when we going for a run at the cup.

It must feel a bit strange though for Smid to understand this move when Hall didnt get the C, Teamfriendly contract. longtime oiler who never takes a shift off.

Maybe Smid can't articulate himself the same way Ference can and could lead to communication break down within the locker room.

I think you're making too big of a deal over the fact Ference wasn't an Oiler "prior" to being chosen captain.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Saying that someone didn't earn the C really speaks to how they have absolutely no clue about the dressing room, or how teams work.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No issue with it in the short term, but I'm concerned about what happens in 2 years when Ference can't play anymore and is a complete liability on the ice getting paid too much money.

Don't imagine it will take long for fans to turn on him when that happens.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Eakins sounded unsure and more than a little uncomfortable when he was talking about Hamilton and Larsen being put on waivers. It was a completely different story when he was talking about the decision to name Ference captain.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
No issue with it in the short term, but I'm concerned about what happens in 2 years when Ference can't play anymore and is a complete liability on the ice getting paid too much money.

Don't imagine it will take long for fans to turn on him when that happens.

"When" he can't play in two years? Shouldn't we wait?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He'll be the new Horcoff around here in a couple years.

You mean the majority of the forum kissing is ass for years and calling him a good third liner, great captain and a shut downh player who is wonderful and the only thing ever wrong with him was his salary? You mean like that?

David Krejci*

There isn't a player in the world who is more captain material than Andrew Ference.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
As you seems to know so much:sarcasm:, share your knowledge!

Oh i forgot, you only do no saying oneliners!

Well he's right.

It's simple for us to say that he didn't "earn" it. There are a lot of inner workings for a pro football dressing room that you can't understand unless you're there.

But I sincerely doubt Hall, Eberle, or anyone else will be pissed off by that selection.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Seems like he'd make a great Captain but it's weird when he hasn't even played a game for us. If it was up to me I would've went with three A's for now but oh well. Considering Ference 's contract duration I wouldn't be surprised if Hall never wears the C in Edmonton.

I also kinda feel bad for Ladi but the management has a way better grasp on this stuff then we do.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He's a great team guy, he's a veteran who's won the Cup, he is fantastic with the media. This was a great choice.
He will set an excellent example to follow on the ice; he never takes a shift off.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
There are people in their late 30s/early 40s who are professional triathletes. It really depends on the individual.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Well he's right.

It's simple for us to say that he didn't "earn" it. There are a lot of inner workings for a pro football dressing room that you can't understand unless you're there.

But I sincerely doubt Hall, Eberle, or anyone else will be pissed off by that selection.

He didnt earn it serving as a oiler, he got the C from the new coach as a new member of the team, thats a unusual way to grab a C.

He can be a great captain or not, we has to wait and see.

I played hockey into the juniors, no way a new guy was named captain in our group, if he didnt was atleast the best player and made others better.

You must understand that the thrust for our org. isnt the best true out the last decade, you can make it easy like some posters and say that the org. knows best, but they have failed big time in the past.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
"When" he can't play in two years? Shouldn't we wait?

He's a 34 year old #4 d-man who has had injury problems for years. If anyone thinks his play wont fall off, they are kidding themselves. This past season was the first time in 5 years that he didn't miss substantial time due to injury. 3 of those seasons he missed 20+ games. Damn right his play is going to fall off.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
He didnt earn it serving as a oiler, he got the C from the new coach as a new member of the team, thats a unusual way to grab a C.

He can be a great captain or not, we has to wait and see.

I played hockey into the juniors, no way a new guy was named captain in our group, if he didnt was atleast the best player and made others better.

You must understand that the thrust for our org. isnt the best true out the last decade, you can make it easy like some posters and say that the org. knows best, but they have failed big time in the past.

So what? If the players respect him it doesn't matter. What jersey he wore last year matters not to them. It's what colours he's wearing this year that matter.

And he played in Boston. Not our biggest rivals. If he was coming from Vancouver or Calgary, sure, I get your point.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Ference a captain? I don't see it. Is he the Oilers best defenseman? Best veteran? I never thought he was all that good.

Sometimes the best players are not leaders. He is indeed a leader and will stick up for everyone on your team. I have ST in Boston (next to the B's bench ) and always noticed his leadership skills on and around the bench.

Love Andy. He is a leader on and off the ice. Most B's fans really miss him on the Bruins.

I think B's fans will be watching your team more and cheering on Andy Ference.

Best of luck...You got a good one.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
So what? If the players respect him it doesn't matter. What jersey he wore last year matters not to them. It's what colours he's wearing this year that matter.

And he played in Boston. Not our biggest rivals. If he was coming from Vancouver or Calgary, sure, I get your point.

A couple of weeks in camp doesnt give a guy enough respect to be their new C, this was Eakins own decision, hopes he can earn their respect afterwards on and off ice.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

If anything, the fact he's coming from a major rival of one of our biggest rivals should be a good thing. It means he's going to play the Canucks every bit as hard as we'd like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->