Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp 1 year 3.64

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Where might Copp go in a redraft of 2013?
Games played - 11th - 422
Goals scored - 14th - 66
Assists - 21st - 95
Pts - 19th - 161

So, somewhere around 18 - 20? Not bad for a 104th pick. :laugh:
Puts things in perspective, eh?

He was on a 3rd/4th line trajectory (due to playing time/role) until he held out/went through arbitration to prove a point/argue that he had more to offer. Seems like it was a smart move, and worked out for him...

I don't think many players have the guts to do what he did. At least not without burning bridges.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He was on a 3rd/4th line trajectory (due to playing time/role) until he held out/went through arbitration to prove a point/argue that he had more to offer. Seems like it was a smart move, and worked out for him...

I don't think many players have the guts to do what he did. At least not without burning bridges.

Not sure that it happened that way. A spot opened up, he got an opportunity and he took advantage of it. That is an old story.

I never thought he was on a 3rd/4th line trajectory. It was strictly 3rd line with the ability to move up for injury replacement. Also being solid at C helped.

OTOH, it could have been because he pushed for himself. We'll never know. Maybe a combination of things. :) It seems like the arb path didn't hurt his progress at any rate.

Reactions: weslox

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Not sure that it happened that way. A spot opened up, he got an opportunity and he took advantage of it. That is an old story.

I never thought he was on a 3rd/4th line trajectory. It was strictly 3rd line with the ability to move up for injury replacement. Also being solid at C helped.

OTOH, it could have been because he pushed for himself. We'll never know. Maybe a combination of things. :) It seems like the arb path didn't hurt his progress at any rate.
Yeah, you're right - not 4th line. Everyone was saying bottom 6, but that's just semantics.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Where might Copp go in a redraft of 2013?
Games played - 11th - 422
Goals scored - 14th - 66
Assists - 21st - 95
Pts - 19th - 161

So, somewhere around 18 - 20? Not bad for a 104th pick. :laugh:

If you parse those numbers and consider his upward offensive trajectory (eg, his P/60 are likely top-10 since the start of last season) and notable defensive impact, one could make an argument that he is even higher. Unfortunately for our cap, he will be in a position to make just such an argument in a few months.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you parse those numbers and consider his upward offensive trajectory (eg, his P/60 are likely top-10 since the start of last season) and notable defensive impact, one could make an argument that he is even higher. Unfortunately for our cap, he will be in a position to make just such an argument in a few months.

Yeah, I was being conservative.

He could still crash this season but there is no sign of it yet. Assuming he keeps up this quality of play, he will be in the 7 mil range on that next contract. Given his age, it should not be 1 day longer than 6 years. But I wouldn't be surprised if some team gave him 7.

I hope it is not us. I hope we can keep him for 5 years x 6 mil. I doubt it though.

A poster earlier pointed out that we will probably have had his best years for a bargain price. Let someone else overpay him for what he does in the future.

Reactions: GNP and GreenLine

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

He could still crash this season but there is no sign of it yet. Assuming he keeps up this quality of play, he will be in the 7 mil range on that next contract. Given his age, it should not be 1 day longer than 6 years. But I wouldn't be surprised if some team gave him 7.

I hope it is not us. I hope we can keep him for 5 years x 6 mil. I doubt it though.

A poster earlier pointed out that we will probably have had his best years for a bargain price. Let someone else overpay him for what he does in the future.

Someone probably gives him 7x7 as a Free Agent and I dont think we want to or can afford to do that ourselves.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Yes, it certainly does put things in perspective. I’ve always wondered how many players have been branded as a third line or fourth line player who really had a lot more talent than they were given credit for. How many gems just didn’t get a chance to show how good they were either due to size or other factors.

The one I always think of is Dale Derkatch who played for the Regina Pats and utterly dominated the WHL at only 5’5”. He was drafted by the Oilers in the early-mid eighties but that lineup was massively stacked at the time. At the World Junior Championship, he finished third in scoring (3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games) behind only Dave Andreychuk and Mario Lemieux.

These types of players always make me wonder. What if?

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Someone probably gives him 7x7 as a Free Agent and I dont think we want to or can afford to do that ourselves.

I would be very surprised if Copp gets $7M, unless he somehow keeps up PPG the whole season.

Reactions: LowLefty

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Ya I agree. Taylor Hall just got 6 million x 4 years, Hyman got 5.5. Heck there are only 60 something players making 7M in the whole league, I don't think Copp is a top 2 player on any team.
Hall probably took less because he wants to win. I think Copp is better than Hyman, but Hyman was a clear overpay from a desperate team (not necessarily the wrong decision, but not something that's likely to repeat often). So I'm not sure those comparables tell us much.

I could definitely see Copp getting >$6M if he keeps his production up. Maybe $7M with less term if he continues the trend of betting on himself, although I suspect he's smart enough not to bet on his production in his 30's.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I have Copp pegged around 5M on his next deal. He's a V good player but name-value, marketability, flashy skills etc can play a role. He doesn't really have that, even though he might be a superior overall player when compared to the higher earners.

Last edited:

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
So lets speculate how the Jets could turn this into assets.

1. We trade him at the deadline....
2. Sign and trade...
3. Sign and keep..

any other things we could do other than letting him walk for nothing?

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

2. Sign and trade...
3. Sign and keep..

Jets will try for #3
#2 won't happen if he's UFA and can barter with every team in the league
Jets would be out of their minds to even consider #1.

Most likely his rights get traded for a 4th after the season ends.

Reactions: larmex99 and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

2. Sign and trade...
3. Sign and keep..

pretty much.

think the chances of him being traded in-season is practically 0. The Jets will likely be solidly in a PO spot and aren't going to move one of their best Fwds this year.

trade his UFA rights, i mean you could get a 5th? i dont know. Goodrow got a 7th in 2022 this past year for his UFA rights.

id like to sign copp 3-4 years 5-5.5m.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Hall probably took less because he wants to win. I think Copp is better than Hyman, but Hyman was a clear overpay from a desperate team (not necessarily the wrong decision, but not something that's likely to repeat often). So I'm not sure those comparables tell us much.

I could definitely see Copp getting >$6M if he keeps his production up. Maybe $7M with less term if he continues the trend of betting on himself, although I suspect he's smart enough not to bet on his production in his 30's.

So who are some good comparables then?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
depends how he finishes the year. Hyman is a popular one though. maybe Danault?

max i'd go for copp as a 28 year old i think is 4 years.

I was thinking those names as well. Danault plays C and also was playing some elite level defense. I think it's hard to justify Copp getting more than those guys IMO.

Reactions: buggs

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I was thinking those names as well. Danault plays C and also was playing some elite level defense. I think it's hard to justify Copp getting more than those guys IMO.
points get you paid moreso than defense though i think.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
points get you paid moreso than defense though i think.

Hyman and Danault both had several 40 point + seasons before signing those deals tho, Copp hasn't got any so far, tho he would've last year if it was a full season. I guess some team might think that he is a PPG first line player and pay him like it, I'm not convinced that's what he is tho.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hyman and Danault both had several 40 point + seasons before signing those deals tho, Copp hasn't got any so far, tho he would've last year if it was a full season. I guess some team might think that he is a PPG first line player and pay him like it, I'm not convinced that's what he is tho.

well yea? hyman most common linemates w/ the leafs were marner, tavares, matthews.

copp prior to last year was often with lowry, tanev, appleton/lemieux.

i mean, does any1 expect Copp putting up 40+ pts with those guys?

Danault didn't play with guys close to hyman either..... tatar, gallagher are solid wingers tho. easily better than who copp had prior to last year.

this will be copp's 2nd season with extended look at top-6 time, we'll see how he finishes. i think he will be around the 50 pt range though, which was a similar pt pace to last year (about 50% of the time in the top-6)

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Yes, it certainly does put things in perspective. I’ve always wondered how many players have been branded as a third line or fourth line player who really had a lot more talent than they were given credit for. How many gems just didn’t get a chance to show how good they were either due to size or other factors.

The one I always think of is Dale Derkatch who played for the Regina Pats and utterly dominated the WHL at only 5’5”. He was drafted by the Oilers in the early-mid eighties but that lineup was massively stacked at the time. At the World Junior Championship, he finished third in scoring (3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games) behind only Dave Andreychuk and Mario Lemieux.

These types of players always make me wonder. What if?
That name is a blast from the past!
Darren Boyko too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad