Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp 1 year 3.64

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Does anyone think maybe we still sign him on a long-term deal?

Hear me out, we trade one of Dillon or DeMelo to clear up space and replace with Heinola's ELC.

Issue is how costly the Dubois extension is going to be, plus if he even wants to be in Winnipeg long-term.
I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong about Copp. Every facet of his game continues to get better, even his hands, stick skills and skating etc. We absolutely should have signed him long at 5.....if that was even an option. I suspect he's looking at considerably more now.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think I posted this a couple pages back but I think we keep him and it really isn't that hard to do. Let Stastny retire and replace him with Perfetti. Trade Dillon (needs to be Dillon, can't be DeMelo) for draft pick/prospects. You have enough space to ink PLD and Copp.

View attachment 479562

This leaves about $1.4M in case anyone is being short changed here and they've speculated the cap may increase by another $1M next year so that would give us $2.4M. If PLD needs $8.5 and Svech needs $2M we can make a competitive offer to Copp and keep him but I do think he pokes around free agency first just to know exactly what his options are.

Ha, I just made a similar proposal on the trade forums (Copp thread). Agreed... this is not hard to manage keeping Copp. I had DeMelo leaving and us keeping Dillon but otherwise, I mathed it out just like you did.

I hope and expect the Jets to resign Copp. He is a leader and can play in many different situations.

I was a bit skeptical of Copp being able to elevate his game, and was not sure if last year was an aberration but I am now comfortable backing him completely. Love this guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad