Confirmed with Link: Andrew Copp 1 year 3.64

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the more time Copp spends playing effective two way hockey in our top 6 putting up points the more he is cementing himself in that role. Maurice trusts him and knows Andrew brings something to either line that is in short supply. Every top 6 guy doesn't need elite offensive talent but they do need enough offense to hang and then let their much more developed all around game help when the line doesn't have possession.
Agree with this. At first I didn’t like Copp in the top 6 but he has grown on me as a top 6 player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, but that is called a balanced line and PoMo doesn't like that :laugh:. I think there is only a 50/50 chance that PoMo runs 4 balanced lines vs 3 lines + energy line when 55 & 26 return
I'd prefer 3 strong lines and one 4th line over 4 "balanced" lines, where the top 3 lines are weaker than the 3-line focus. That's because good players can effectively play 17 or more minutes, so it's better to give them more ice-time. No team has 12 equal forwards, so play the best players as much as they can without losing effectiveness.

Line 1 - 18 minutes
Line 2 - 18 minutes
Line 3 - 15 minutes
Line 4 - 9 minutes

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I just think he and Trouba see eye-to-eye on contract stuff. He's not as adamant to get out of town as Trouba was, but I get the impression he's looking to follow the money. He'd be crazy not to go to UFA in July. And someone is going to pay big money/term for him. And I doubt it's going to be us.

OTOH, he could've taken the Jets to arbitration this summer and probably got another million bucks...

He knew the Jets couldn't pay him this year though. Wouldn't the Jets trade him if he went to arbitration and couldn't afford him? They obviously offered him the opportunity to play in the top 9 to maximize his value going into UFA and he's done a fantastic job so far of producing. Our team has a lot of talent for him to work with, and his chemistry with Lowry is undeniable. Given he was still RFA, he could have maybe forced the extra million for one year as you said, but it might have led to him being traded if we couldn't afford to keep him. If he's traded, he doesn't really have any say in the matter and could have ended up putting up 30 points playing with lesser talent and opportunities, which would have destroyed his value going into UFA. Copp bet on himself knowing the Jets were making moves to try and contend this year. If he keeps it up, there'll be 31 other teams looking at him this offseason to see if they can work him into their middle six. We couldn't afford a proven backup goalie this year, I'm pretty sure Copp wouldn't be a Jet right now if he went to arbitration. I'm glad he's still a Jet though!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets at full strength...

Copp-Scheifele-Ehlers (18-19 minutes)
Connor-Dubois-Wheeler (18-19 minutes)
Stastny-Lowry-Harkins (14-15 minutes)
Toninato-Nash-Vesalainen (9 minutes)

Minutes include mixing players into the PK and PP.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets at full strength...

I really like those lines.

Reactions: ps241

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Also, in retrospect, the Jets' approach to the expansion draft worked out quite well. Stanley looks like he wasn't a flash in the pan, and they seemed to have accurately assessed who the Kraken were likely to select (i.e. Appleton over DeMelo).
it's almost like they have more inside information than we do

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I just think he and Trouba see eye-to-eye on contract stuff. He's not as adamant to get out of town as Trouba was, but I get the impression he's looking to follow the money. He'd be crazy not to go to UFA in July. And someone is going to pay big money/term for him. And I doubt it's going to be us.

OTOH, he could've taken the Jets to arbitration this summer and probably got another million bucks...
Copp's probably double Trouba's IQ. Trouba didn't care to know about the contract stuff; Copp seems very involved in the business side of the game.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Jets at full strength...

Dubois between Connor and Wheeler is very intriguing to me because I really hate them together as wingers. But we’ve pretty much only seen them with Scheif so maybe changing the dynamic between those two could work very well.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ha! Tell that to Copp's good friend Jacob and their agent Kurt.

I get your post is tongue in cheek, but if Copp tried to price himself out of Winnipeg wouldn't we have just left him exposed to Seattle and protected Demelo? Overhardt can suck a fart regardless though.

Ohh, now I'm remembering we can only do 7 forwards, 3 Defense... well in that case then we just protect Appleton? Idk.. lol

Last edited:

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
I don’t see Wheeler going down any further than the 2nd line. But, if he does not have a lot of access to fitness equipment maybe he should go down to the 3rd line for “conditioning” purposes for 2-3 games. But, if Wheeler is good to go I would swap Svechnikov and Wheeler

Connor-Dubois-Svechnikov (18-19 minutes)
Stastny-Lowry-Wheeler (14-15 minutes)
Harkins-Nash-Vesalainen (9 minutes)

Reactions: hn777

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't hate him at all. I think he's best suited as part of a very effective 3rd line - maybe one of the best in the NHL with Lowry and Vesalainen.

I still don't think he's an everyday top 6 guy.
So, on pace for 58 points last year, great start this year, great defensive play, plays well with everyone but he’s not a top 6? Who is better than him for the top 6 for the Jets? You don’t think there are a large group of teams where he’s easily a top 6?

What does he have to do to convince you he is better suited in the top 6 rather than kicking the puck around the boards with Lowry?

Reactions: hn777 and DRW204

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
So, on pace for 58 points last year, great start this year, great defensive play, plays well with everyone but he’s not a top 6? Who is better than him for the top 6 for the Jets? You don’t think there are a large group of teams where he’s easily a top 6?

What does he have to do to convince you he is better suited in the top 6 rather than kicking the puck around the boards with Lowry?

Up until last season though he was putting up 25-30 points a season on the 3rd line. It may be fair to assume the North division wasn't exactly a strong defensive division last season and that he had a career year. Not many people go from bottom 6 forwards to 60~ point players in their mid to late 20's. I'm all for it if he keeps it up, he looked a bit shaky in the pre-season, but he's started to find his rhythm and seems to have adapted better to his new linemates over the last few games.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Larger sample size? I'm not at all unhappy with him up there considering what his play recently and our need, and who knows, he might just be a late bloomer. If he continues at this pace he's not going anywhere and I'll be delighted, but typically he's been a great all round player that lacks finish.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Up until last season though he was putting up 25-30 points a season on the 3rd line. It may be fair to assume the North division wasn't exactly a strong defensive division last season and that he had a career year. Not many people go from bottom 6 forwards to 60~ point players in their mid to late 20's. I'm all for it if he keeps it up, he looked a bit shaky in the pre-season, but he's started to find his rhythm and seems to have adapted better to his new linemates over the last few games.
Do you expect him to hit 50-60 pts playing with Adam Lowry/tanev/Appleton et al?

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Do you expect him to hit 50-60 pts playing with Adam Lowry/tanev/Appleton et al?

Absolutely not, their deployment has always been geared towards defensive shutdown minutes. Regardless, I never saw Copp as much of a sniper or play maker. He's getting his points just going to the net and keeping his game simple. He's not cut from the same cloth as the Connor/Ehlers types, so it's not as expected that he'd be as successful offensively. This isn't to say that people who play a simple straight forward game can't be good offensive contributers, there's just far fewer of them out there.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yes. I like Toninato's pace more, and he seems like a better PK option. But I could be persuaded to have Svech replace Toninato.

Looks like the next few games will be the time frame that Svech will need to persuade.
Ves, Harkins, Toninato and Svech - one of them will sit and they all know that -
Let's see who wants it more

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Shaky? In the pre season, of all times to judge a player. What does that mean?

He has shown steady growth as a player. I’m not going to discount him just because the average player doesn’t do something. I guess I’m alright with excusing him for not scoring 60 points playing with Lowry/Armia/Tanev/whatever, who is going to do that? Not a single other player on the Jets would. Every time he gets an opportunity he excels.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Larger sample size? I'm not at all unhappy with him up there considering what his play recently and our need, and who knows, he might just be a late bloomer. If he continues at this pace he's not going anywhere and I'll be delighted, but typically he's been a great all round player that lacks finish.
How large a sample?

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Absolutely not, their deployment has always been geared towards defensive shutdown minutes. Regardless, I never saw Copp as much of a sniper or play maker. He's getting his points just going to the net and keeping his game simple. He's not cut from the same cloth as the Connor/Ehlers types, so it's not as expected that he'd be as successful offensively. This isn't to say that people who play a simple straight forward game can't be good offensive contributers, there's just far fewer of them out there.
All Copp does is make plays. That’s why he always has a good shot share. You want your offensive players to play more in the offensive zone? Insert Copp here.

I think some people are missing out on what Copp is doing out on the ice because he doesn’t drive the play in a pretty way like an Ehlers/Connor/Scheifele. He gets it done playing a power forward, great board work, going to the dirty areas, fast on opponents, pushing the defense back, creating space for the pretty boys etc.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How large a sample?
Well it hasn't even been an entire season. It was a shortened season plus 5 games. This is Copp's 7th season and he's 27.

So, while it's not impossible that he's bloomed very late, it's far more likely that this is an outlier and he will return to his expected production which is around 25 points a season.

Either way, all that really matters to the Jets is that he sustains this play this year. I don't think there's much chance he's here next season, especially if he can keep this up.

Reactions: sipowicz

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Well it hasn't even been an entire season. It was a shortened season plus 5 games. This is Copp's 7th season and he's 27.

So, while it's not impossible that he's bloomed very late, it's far more likely that this is an outlier and he will return to his expected production which is around 25 points a season.

Either way, all that really matters to the Jets is that he sustains this play this year. I don't think there's much chance he's here next season, especially if he can keep this up.
So your opinion isn’t painted by Copp at all really. It’s mostly based on some average of NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad