Andrew Barroway - Coyotes majority owner.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Bettman didn't lie when he said the Coyotes arn't going to relocate (Atlanta on the other hand). So he's one for one with his favorite team so I think Bettman is telling the truth. Finishing up papers and delivered by Christmas.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Bettman didn't lie when he said the Coyotes arn't going to relocate (Atlanta on the other hand). So he's one for one with his favorite team so I think Bettman is telling the truth. Finishing up papers and delivered by Christmas.

Bettman is very good about how he chooses his words.

The BOG has given the Las Vegas group the go ahead and have a STH drive. But it's only for the purpose to gauge interest..... the BoG will still have to review the results and then decide IF giving a franchise to Vegas is in their best interest.

Bettman made it clear to the media not to make anything out of this. But we all know some media will not listen.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Bettman is very good about how he chooses his words.

The BOG has given the Las Vegas group the go ahead and have a STH drive. But it's only for the purpose to gauge interest..... the BoG will still have to review the results and then decide IF giving a franchise to Vegas is in their best interest.

Bettman made it clear to the media not to make anything out of this. But we all know some media will not listen.

It does show significant interest in a Las Vegas franchise. I would like it it because Arizona would have a rival...a legitimate rival.

Could it it make it..not sure but the idea of a successful team in Las Vegas is a nice idea.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
A rivalry with a LV team would be awesome. Let's face it, the Yotes have no rival right now, Kings? Ducks? Red Wings? Blackhawks? Yeah right, we are just another team on their schedule. Maybe something with the Jets 2.0 can brew in the future but still nothing with them yet either.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
The BOG has given the Las Vegas group the go ahead and have a STH drive.

How exactly does this work? Is it a survey? Do people actually put up money? I could see the results being quite skewed if there is not an actual financial commitment.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oh absolutely. Your post was very random, but I'm more than happy to agree with what you just said.

Not as random as you think - Lawless wrote another article about how the NHL should relocate instead of expand and mentioned the Coyotes' "boondoggle." So theoretically this fits into the Barroway deal since guys like Lawless think it's dead.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not as random as you think - Lawless wrote another article about how the NHL should relocate instead of expand and mentioned the Coyotes' "boondoggle." So theoretically this fits into the Barroway deal since guys like Lawless think it's dead.

Brooks was on Twitter this morning defending his position saying he has three sources confirming Barroway is backing out and the sources aren't backing down.

But another BoH poster offered the possibility those sources could be people in Barroway's camp, who would want to spread doubt since it would give Barroway more leverage.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Why would he back out? It's the best deal for anyone looking to be apart of a major league sport. Prices are up to buy a team and unfortunately for Barroway..and possibly even the Coyotes, is that he wasn't pursuing to buy the team when it was for sale 100% close to what he is paying for 51%. Unless he was a one of the mystery men behind the scenes waiting for the deal to fall through.

Barroway has tried to purchase the 76ers and the NY Islanders..He is looking to be apart of sports franchise...Are there any better options right now? None come to my mind. So, I think it's very unlikely he is backing out.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Brooks was on Twitter this morning defending his position saying he has three sources confirming Barroway is backing out and the sources aren't backing down.

But another BoH poster offered the possibility those sources could be people in Barroway's camp, who would want to spread doubt since it would give Barroway more leverage.

Eklund has sources too, how many times are they right?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If only the trolls could stick to one story...

First they mocked that Barroway entered the picture in the first place. "See, I told you Gosbee doesn't have any real money! They NEED Barroway!"

Now, they're saying the exact same thing about Barroway. "Lawlz Barroway doesn't have any money!!1!"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gosbee and Barroway don't have any money. Not the type of money that lets them quickly buy a sports team. They both have a group of investors.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I know, but they depict Gosbee as some hobo. Isn't his net worth about ~$45 million?

He's rich. But he doesn't have "**** you" money. You need that much to buy a team that is distressed on your own. IA got the team given to them on a silver platter. They financed the entire deal, and IA has an out if they lose the $50m in equity they put into the deal.

They're not real ownership and never will be. Neither is Barroway. Beggars can't be choosers.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Eklund has sources too, how many times are they right?

That's the real question, isn't it?

Brooks was the first to name Barroway's entry into this latest chapter of our little soap opera. He was correct in that respect... so it lends to think at lest one of his sources is close to what's' going on.

But as we've all seen these deals go back and forth with one side pulling out one day, and the next they're back in.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wish we had the sharks owner, who is a multi-billionaire and sees the sharks as his hobby.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He's rich. But he doesn't have "**** you" money. You need that much to buy a team that is distressed on your own. IA got the team given to them on a silver platter. They financed the entire deal, and IA has an out if they lose the $50m in equity they put into the deal.

They're not real ownership and never will be. Neither is Barroway. Beggars can't be choosers.

Transactions like this are financed all the time, that is not unusual. Saying it was handed to them on a silver platter is not accurate. As we all know, the Coyotes ownership mess went through countless twists and turns. When the franchise looked like it was moving for sure, IA came through and cut a deal when nobody else was standing there. It was not a bidding war, nobody wanted the team, it wasn't a silver platter.

Nobody knew the Clippers high priced sale and sports franchises in general would sky rocket in value. IA guys look pretty smart now but nobody saw it coming, except for maybe IA. They read the tea leaves and the advantage of a new CBA in the NHL. This was not a gift, it is called being smart, but it had huge risk at the time for IA.

Barroway has entered the picture and knows just how difficult it is to acquire a sports franchise. There are only so many around, only a few for sale, and you have to pay to be in the "club". Barroway has deep pockets, so he could spend money on salary to improve the club. It depends on how much he wants to win and how much money he is willing to lose to get there.

Barroway could lose 15 million a year for 5 years and still be way ahead because of rising franchise values. This franchise could sell for 750 mil to 1 billion in 5 years. Those are the predictions of what is happening to franchise values over the next 5 years. If that is the case, and Barroway believes it, a 15 mill additional loss per year would not be hard to swallow as it is made up for in franchise value down the road.

I am pretty sure this deal will go through and Barroway will own the team. The structure was that of 51/49 partners, with the minority retaining protection in the structure. IA does not have to do this deal, so I doubt Barroway is attempting to renegotiate the terms as this would screw up the partnership and would not force IA's hand anyway.

I always thought the Coyotes were staying, that the IA deal would go through and I think the Barroway deal will go through too. In these types of transactions, there are always last minute complications to be worked through, so delays in timing are normal, but I still think it gets done.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
From the comments I read yesterday attributed to Coyote ownership and the NHL, the parties have signed the agreement already, and the paperwork is in front of the NHL pending its approval of Barroway as new majority owner. Therefore, the "delay" is someone wants to call it that, is not on the parties to the transaction, but on the NHL needing to complete its due diligence and bless the deal.

If the papers have been executed by the parties, then I'm not sure why Brooks was willing to reiterate his reporting that Barrroway was looking to back out of the deal. While I'm not privy to the contract documents, that seems pretty far fetched unless Barroway was putting pressure on the NHL to approve the sale before the end of the year because the ownership group and/or individuals could receive some sort of tax benefit by closing in 2014.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"A fair amount of the documentation underlying the transaction we only got the end of last week," explained Bettman. "The documentation has to be reviewed, we have to finish our due diligence, there has to be an interview.

"It would be nice for a whole host of reasons to get it done by the end of the year. With the holidays coming up, that may be an achievable result, it may not. But all of the parties are interested in moving it along as quickly as they can, as are we. But we have a process that we go through, and we have to check all the boxes. But based on the timing of the documents having been signed, there are a lot of boxes we couldn't get to yet. But we'll get to them shortly."

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly denied that the Coyotes -- and the Panthers -- could be re-located.

"Arizona and Florida are not moving," Daly said with conviction on Tuesday. He added that both franchises are "100 percent" stable.

First direct comments from Bettman that I've seen.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...worry-arizona-coyotes-ownership-transfer-vote

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Ok I'm officially feeling good about this again. These words are pretty straight forward, not much lawyer speak or ambiguities. Daly flat out saying "Arizona and Florida are not moving." is pretty convincing. Granted I suppose he could technically fall back on saying he meant the states not the franchises but even I'm not that much of a cynic. haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad