Andrei Markov

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
IMO the pinching issue, while clearly a problem in the last few games, is primarily Emelin's fault. Markov has always pinched and gotten himself into risky situations, which is why his offensive plays pay off so much. Emelin however has transformed from a solid defensive dman to a Markov replica who can't produce offensively. They need to either get Emelin to his old self, or separate the two.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
IMO the pinching issue, while clearly a problem in the last few games, is primarily Emelin's fault. .

I've been noticing it longer than that. Not to slam Markov, I just think he has to adjust his game a little. He is still an effective player and there is no doubt he has been logging big minutes. But I think he lost a bit of a step and he has to adjust a bit.

Last edited:

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
The pinch is part of the system the new coaching staff implemented. Obviously teams are going to get caught from time to time but that is the price you pay for playing an up-tempo game. The result is more scoring chances for our team and the overall results have been very good. I would sooner win 6-5 than lose 2-1 and that is what we are getting... wins.

But then no one should have to explain that to someone who understands hockey.

Like someone said last year, Jacques Martin won't be happy until he wins a game by a score of zero to minus one. Is that really what you want

Thank you.

Pinching is part of this team's system. Pinching is Markov's game. The system is that a forward would come back to cover for any counter-attack. But sometimes, that fails.

Last night was obviously not one of Markov's better games. But if Emelin was better than just putrid, no one would have talked about Markov's performance.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Sure he had some trouble last game and similar fumbles in other games, but first of all we played the night before (you really have to give that enough consideration) and the game was intense.

Anyone remember Markov being such a badass, challenging Cryji? He showed real leadership and despite getting beat on some unfortunate pinch attempts (puck was bouncing and seguin and marchand aren't average speed players), he also played really well. Everyone thinks he's only offense, but he does play a very good defensive game. When you can control the puck so deftly, it makes getting out of the zone so much easier and effective

Also, remind me, who scored the GTG?

I think calling Emelin putrid is a bit of a stretch. There were breakdowns, but it was a two way game. Markov and Emelin did also help us win.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Jesus people... Markov had one bad game (and even then he made up by scoring with 8 seconds left).
He still creates twice as many turnover than any other D on the team (including Subban)

Markov is a big reason why we are second in the East.

Threads like this is the reason why MT is coaching this team and Bergevin managing it and not you guys. 1 bad game and it's trade the player :facepalm:

bdawg1989*

Markov is amazing but he's over-used. Subban is the #1 D and is a tremendous athlete, let him play the tough minutes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He hasn't changed his style, it's just that he went from a high-success pinching ratio to a lower one recently. He doesn't pinch more, he just gets caught more.

This was one reason he was so dominant, he was a pinching god. He was the best or one of the best players in the league at judging when to pinch and keeping the puck in the opposing zone. But now he's failing a lot for some reason.

He is pinching the same as he has always done.

The only problem with Markov is his skating. You notice the bad pinches now because they usually result in a 2 on 1.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
There's no doubt he is very very slow compared to 3-4 seasons ago (turtle slow!). But, for the record....I'm very happy that he's healthy (for once:help:).

I'm definitely concerned about his speed (needs a faster, more responsible partner that will back him up when Markov messes up/pinches and is waaaaay waaaaaaay too slow to skate back...now we have a slower Markovw, that's for sure. Markov has to get used to his main weakness now...his slowness and stay back there and just make his solid outlet passes...no more pinching (or very rare), cheating. He's just way too slow for that.

I want Beaulieu to replace Markov in 2 years or less (hope he's ready). Markov...maybe one more, maybe two more seasons, max?
(I'd rather pay $5.75mil/year to someone else, imo).

IF it was Subban who was -3 vs the Bruins instead of Markov...everyone would be on Subban's case. But...it was Markov who had an atrocious game. We will forgive him since many here still think he's a Russian version of Raymond Bourque:p:.

Anyways...won't bash...I'm just glad Markov is staying healthy.
But, time for him to have more +1, +2, +3 games...especially at that salary he's making.
And, time for Therrien to admit and see that Markov is becoming a defensive risk out there. And we're not even in the playoffs yet.
That Bruins' game was like a playoffs' game and Markov FAILED MISERABLY. I don't ever want to see him fail again like that against the Bruins ('cause it's like he's helping the Bruins the same way Komisarek helped us when Komisarek played like crap for the Leafs against us!).

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
He is pinching the same as he has always done.

The only problem with Markov is his skating. You notice the bad pinches now because they usually result in a 2 on 1.

Can't someone (Therrien), anyone (JJ DAigneault) tell Markov to correct the obvious, or is Markov too proud that you can't tell him to stop making the same obvious mistakes? The team comes first, not Markov's pride. Markov and Emelin almost ****ed everything up for us against the Bruins (and not the first time).

So darn good we have Subban to save the day...they should flip the salaries (Markov's with Subban's).

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Jesus people... Markov had one bad game (and even then he made up by scoring with 8 seconds left).
He still creates twice as many turnover than any other D on the team (including Subban)

Markov is a big reason why we are second in the East.

Threads like this is the reason why MT is coaching this team and Bergevin managing it and not you guys. 1 bad game and it's trade the player :facepalm:

A bad game in which he scored the tying goal with 8 seconds left.

Also, if MT (this is really my only complaint with him) put some capable people on the PP, oh, say, that Eller guy and if Patch wasn't in a slump (he's not scoring himself, Gally is doing most of the work on his goals), Markov would be cranking our PP to top 5 in the league. We've lost the options up front, the only go to play is PK's blast. We need the Markov to Kovalev play and right now Gio is NOT getting that done/it's not his side (he's a righty).

Again, we were playing a good team, back to back games, pinching helped as much as it cost us (don't underestimate how much it tires the other team when they get hemmed in their zone) and Markov is not some paper thin non-contact guy. He gets pucks from the opposing team. Remember that amazing anticipation interception he made? Made a couple of similar plays as well.

He'll be fine and he knows his limits. MT does too so when we need to adjust things, we will, but last I checked, we are 2nd in the conference and just beat our biggest rival for the second consecutive time in their building off of a Markov GTG. I'm happy with him.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably should rest Markov on back-to-back games and play Kaberle. Condense schedule seems to take more out of him than most players(age, knee injuries). Get more mileage out of Markov come playoff time

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Not too sure what to think of Markov yet.

My guess is that he just hasn't reached his peak condition yet, and by this i mean the physical and neurological timing of everything he has to do, and do it at an elite level.

In the past two years, his body and especially his mind, have gotten used to rest, rehab and a whole lot of training. It just can't come back and be at the same peak from the get-go. His mind also has to get used to the cues once more, all the little details that lead to action-reaction.

It's been what now? 13 games last year, and back then he was trying to find his overall synch, 22 games in the KHL and 33 games in the NHL this season. And people are expecting him to play at an elite level defensively?

So far, considering that he actually needs to get back to that level, it looks good with what he has shown, and I think he can only get better and probabilities are that he will.

Also, the problem with his foot speed might be due, not to a 'bad' knee, but rather a knee that isn't used to doing the things it needs to do, especially his new ligament, which is also central to how his leg reacts.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
last game should serve as a wake up call to Therrien.

Limit him to 22 minutes per game.
This...:handclap:

He is one of the main reasons for our turnaround this year, but in back to back games, his TOI has to be managed better...that being said, he did have some tough moments in the Bruins game....

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Markov likes to take a lot of risks and that is what makes him so good offensively, some of the time those risks will result in us scoring a goal and other times it results in goals for the other team or a good scoring chance against us.

He just needs to have his ice time cut to keep him fresh for the playoffs, averaging 25 minutes a game right now in a shortened season is wayyy too much. Really could use Diaz back as he was helping eat minutes at the start of the year.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Get lost man, playing like a bum, really? The dude is the General and there are tons of teams out there that dream about having him.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
its not that he played "1 bad game"

the last couple of weeks hes been showing just how much footspeed and mobility he has lost, and it almost cost us vs boston

people say dont overplay him but therrien probably will continue to do so

im not saying trade the guy, but i dont think he should be resigned when the contract is up, not with beaulieu comin up soon (i mean people should really see this guy skate, wow)

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
BTW-Congrats for Markov for his 82nd game with a goal passing Brisebois as #1 among Habs defenseman (stats started only in 1987 though:laugh:)

swzbkg.png

His next pt is going to be his 300th game in which he records one.:handclap:
2zycqpy.png

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just play him a little less. Too bad we don't have Diaz, because Emelin on the right is not something I'm liking.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Markov sure likes to score game tying goal with a few seconds left.:)

Don't ask me how I found the video... I don't even know!:laugh:

Also remember the Anaheim goal (Perry incident) when he scored with 10 seconds to send the game in OT.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Keep Markov with the Habs.. He's the one showing the A B C's of how he does it to Subban. Regardless of what people think, Subban now has the chance to play with one of the best offensive defenceman (in the past) of the league. Subban will only grow better along Markov.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
its not that he played "1 bad game"

the last couple of weeks hes been showing just how much footspeed and mobility he has lost, and it almost cost us vs boston

people say dont overplay him but therrien probably will continue to do so

im not saying trade the guy, but i dont think he should be resigned when the contract is up, not with beaulieu comin up soon (i mean people should really see this guy skate, wow)

In the last couple of weeks he has had games where he was one of our best players, one of our worst, and something in between. Like everyone else on this team except Subban and Plekanec really.

He's become very slow and it makes him exploitable. Despite this he has still made some great defensive plays.

I definitely would not resign him for anything close to what he's making right now at this point. But we will worry about that when the time comes. He doesn't look finished to me though, and we should enjoy a career Hab like Markov for as long as we can.

I just wish his time was cut so he can be at his best for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad