Andrei Markov

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I picked him up as a free agent in my hockey pool just before the previous game.
It goes without saying that I am quite pleased.
Keep it up, Comrade. :)
Drafted him as my 4th blueliner in a couple of pools. Got Justin Schultz too.
His number one strength is his mind, so there's no reason a healthy Markov can't play well into his late 30's. Of course people have reason to continue to doubt his durability, but it's far from unheard of to come back from two ACL surgeries, and besides that any recent injury he has had has been minor or a fluke (the skate cut). The big question is of course the knees, but he's logged heavy minutes since finally coming back at the end of last season and has already taken a few hits without exploded - who knows what will happen long term but those things aren't quite made of glass.
If he's healthy? Sure. But that's a big IF.
I remember discussing on the trade board this summer his value, specifically to the Red Wings. I was not trying to shop him but I figured he was at least worth a 1st and a 2nd round pick from the Wings.

There was a specific Wings fan who was adament that he did not want him, not even for a 7th round pick.

He's probably right. Wings don't need a guy like him. :laugh:

edit: here it is...starts at post 15...what a card

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1224159&highlight=markov
Why would the Wings have dealt a 1st and 2nd on a guy who'd played a handful of games over the past couple of years? I can understand a club doing it at the deadline if he plays well but you're smoking the funny stuff if you think he was worth that over this past summer. No club would've taken that gamble.
Oh the clairvoyants on this board!

And they get so angry when you have the temerity to question their absolutism.

If we don't see everything with the same shade of gloom and doom then it's obvious we're not realists and are wearing rose colored glasses.
Oh Lord get over yourself. This coming from the guy who kept telling us he'd be back for the past three seasons...
It's been 3 games... Isn't it a bit early for a ''I told you so'' and ''Eat crow haters!'' thread ?
Yes.

And nobody hated Markov.
What's the matter, tankards, is Markov frustrating you?
From a rebuilding perspective... he's raising his trade value. As I told you, if he has a good year he's worth a 1st at least. I remember you saying nobody would give us a 1st for him. Well, how do you feel now?

Don't worry he won't be traded.
Yeah, he sure is a huge fork in the rug to them.

Markov was DONE even before he could lace'em up again. That was the prevailing 'wisdom'. Absurd and twisted wishful thinking.
Almost as absurd as reading your posts for the past three seasons. But now he's played three games so... hey I guess all those years you were wrong don't count right?

As for Markov, hopefully he's back for good. He looks awesome and that's great. I still wouldn't count on him for anything though. It would be a mistake to assume he's going to be healthy. Better to play it conservative and view what he provides as a bonus. Its got nothing to do with faith, it's about being practical.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Drafted him as my 4th blueliner in a couple of pools. Got Justin Schultz too.

If he's healthy? Sure. But that's a big IF.

Why would the Wings have dealt a 1st and 2nd on a guy who'd played a handful of games over the past couple of years? I can understand a club doing it at the deadline if he plays well but you're smoking the funny stuff if you think he was worth that over this past summer. No club would've taken that gamble.

Oh Lord get over yourself. This coming from the guy who kept telling us he'd be back for the past three seasons...

Yes.

And nobody hated Markov.

From a rebuilding perspective... he's raising his trade value. As I told you, if he has a good year he's worth a 1st at least. I remember you saying nobody would give us a 1st for him. Well, how do you feel now?

Don't worry he won't be traded.

Almost as absurd as reading your posts for the past three seasons. But now he's played three games so... hey I guess all those years you were wrong don't count right?

As for Markov, hopefully he's back for good. He looks awesome and that's great. I still wouldn't count on him for anything though. It would be a mistake to assume he's going to be healthy. Better to play it conservative and view what he provides as a bonus. Its got nothing to do with faith, it's about being practical.

If Markov and Diaz keep it up and Subban signs the Habs could compete for a playoff slot, which would 1) affect their position in the draft and 2) discourage Bergevin from
trading assets at the deadline. Can Markov keep it up? A 48-game schedule makes it easier in terms of fatigue and lessens the number of opportunities to be injured. The only player I wouldn't miss is Kaberle; he wouldn't fetch much in a trade but it would relieve presure on the cap. I don't care what the Habs get back.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Wrong how? That Markov is our MVP when he's in the lineup? Wrong that there was a good possibility that he would be back 100% and still have the same impact? Wrong that you always have to over inflate, exaggerate and distort because you know you're starting off with a broken wing? He has played 37 games since coming back of his injury, that's not 3 games. Also, it's been two years, because 3 years ago, almost to the day, I was here saying that Markov coming back from his lacerated Achilles's heel would make us better and we'd make the playoffs, which by all accounts, I was right about that as we went from a under ,500 record to a +,600 record and went to the ECF. But don't lose your breath with your exaggerations. You haven't changed one bit. It's been two years and a half since he tore his ACL, and about over a year since I've been saying that his coming back would make a huge difference, and his being out is the only reason we can entertain 'tanking'. So the truth is about 15 months, not 36 months. This need to exaggerate shows a lack of actual acumen whether about facts or hockey itself. It is your usual crutch to mask your shortcomings. Not surprisingly, you distort by making it seem as though I even inferred to KNOW when he would come back, when all I said in the past is that if he comes back he would have a huge impact, the same impact as before, which I was right about. You are completely unable to debate honestly. This need to distort the truth serves no other purpose than to show every one just how childish you are.

You know nothing about being practical. If you did, logical pragmatism would've illuminated your brain a long time ago about the impracticality of deliberate or even half-deliberate 'tanking' in the type of market Montreal is. This same pragmatism would've shone a light on the fact that tanking is the inevitable fortune-misfortune of bad seasons, but mostly, of bad markets, the reason why you rarely see huge markets (when they are making money) tank, even less likely on multiple seasons. And lastly but not least, true logical pragmatism would have you realize that the entire logic of trading assets for picks in 'tank' mode is something even a 12 year old playing EA's NHL video game understands and can perform admirably, and that most fans don't need to talk about it over endless threads to show how it could be done.

Markov is in the lineup and a fluke incident is what it is. For now he's playing 100% and a team would be foolish to not count on his impact as he's the MVP of this team, has been the MVP for over a decade and will remain that for the foreseeable future.

But feel free to continue to expound on the merits and the pure genius of 'tanking' as if no one ever thought about it.

Don't bother responding, I know your usual drivel and your usual MO. Been there, done that.

Last edited:

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
If Markov and Diaz keep it up and Subban signs the Habs could compete for a playoff slot, which would 1) affect their position in the draft and 2) discourage Bergevin from
trading assets at the deadline. Can Markov keep it up? A 48-game schedule makes it easier in terms of fatigue and lessens the number of opportunities to be injured. The only player I wouldn't miss is Kaberle; he wouldn't fetch much in a trade but it would relieve presure on the cap. I don't care what the Habs get back.

I don't think there's a team in the league willing to take his contract.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It would be great to ditch Kaberle. Somebody would have to be pretty hard up at the deadline to take him though. And they'd have to have the cap space to boot.
Wrong how? That Markov is our MVP when he's in the lineup? Wrong that there was a good possibility that he would be back 100% and still have the same impact? Wrong that you always have to over inflate, exaggerate and distort because you know you're starting off with a broken wing? He has played 37 games since coming back of his injury, that's not 3 games. Also, it's been two years, because 3 years ago, almost to the day, I was here saying that Markov coming back from his lacerated Achilles's heel would make us better and we'd make the playoffs, which by all accounts, I was right about that as we went from a under ,500 record to a +,600 record and went to the ECF. But don't lose your breath with your exaggerations.
If anyone suggested that the guy wasn't going to play you went batsht crazy on them. You screamed that a knee injury wasn't the same as a concussion and that he'd be back. Next thing you know he gets hurt again. Then you call anyone crazy who suggests he won't be back the next season, then he misses pretty much the whole year. Well it's three years later and now he's played three games. And you come out with "clairovoyant" crap like this.

:laugh:

Okay man. What are you the Amazing Kreskin?
You haven't changed one bit. It's been two years and a half since he tore his ACL, and about over a year since I've been saying that his coming back would make a huge difference, and his being out is the only reason we can entertain 'tanking'.
Everyone acknowledges he's a great player man and everyone knows he's a difference maker. Nobody said otherwise.

But he wasn't going to win a cup for us. You just said so in another thread where you said no matter how good he was we never had the forwards to support him... so after years of screaming that I was wrong, basically you've now pulled a 180 and agreed with me.

And he probably won't win a cup with us going forward either.
So the truth is about 15 months, not 36 months. This need to exaggerate shows a lack of actual acumen whether about facts or hockey itself. It is your usual crutch to mask your shortcomings. Not surprisingly, you distort by making it seem as though I even inferred to KNOW when he would come back, when all I said in the past is that if he comes back he would have a huge impact, the same impact as before, which I was right about. You are completely unable to debate honestly.
The guy played half a season three years ago and has played 20 games since.

Now he's played three games and you're making a fool out of yourself trying to say "I told you so."
This need to distort the truth serves no other purpose than to show every one just how childish you are.
I always see you calling people childish... Strange how everyone is childish except you.
You know nothing about being practical. If you did, logical pragmatism would've illuminated your brain a long time ago about the impracticality of deliberate or even half-deliberate 'tanking' in the type of market Montreal is. This same pragmatism would've shone a light on the fact that tanking is the inevitable fortune-misfortune of bad seasons, but mostly, of bad markets, the reason why you rarely see huge markets (when they are making money) tank, even less likely on multiple seasons. And lastly but not least, true logical pragmatism would have you realize that the entire logic of trading assets for picks in 'tank' mode is something even a 12 year old playing EA's NHL video game understands and can perform admirably, and that most fans don't need to talk about it over endless threads to show how it could be done.
Right, I forgot. We can't miss the playoffs because the league would fold. They need the revenue sharing dollars that we bring in.

Apparently this doens't apply to the Leafs though...
Markov is in the lineup and a fluke incident is what it is. For now he's playing 100% and a team would be foolish to not count on his impact as he's the MVP of this team, has been the MVP for over a decade and will remain that for the foreseeable future.
Him being the MVP of our team over the last decade isn't saying much man. We've iced mediocre to bad teams over that stretch. Some of us were able to see this and others not so much.

Now you're back saying that not even Lidstrom would've won a cup with us so...
But feel free to continue to expound on the merits and the pure genius of 'tanking' as if no one ever thought about it.

Don't bother responding, I know your usual drivel and your usual MO. Been there, done that.
I always read this from you "don't bother responding..."

Nah... I'll respond. Its kind of fun to watch you go postal over simple hockey debates.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
most Dman can't even make a pass like Markov did to Plekanec. Then add that puck kick to his stick and easy goal that to his ability as well. PP is always dangerous with Markov now Pleks numbers will start coming up again, he really missed Markov more than other players.

Marky has set Pax up a couple of times with shocking passes. And Pax is not one timing them. He's too surprised the puck is on his stick. You can see Pax has to get used to it!

Slightly OT but the other thing is this trading places Marky and Diaz are doing on the PP, as they slowly move toward net and screw up the box. It's just amazing to see and I wonder if it is Diaz, Marky or the coaches who suggested this. I think it might be Diaz. Tip passing as well, in tight.

Diaz looks so aggressive, and square to the puck, and fast in passing and shooting, it's amazing to see. What happened to this guy?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

If Habs make playoffs because Marky is healthy and plays like this most of the year, Diaz continues like this, and PK returns and develops, then I have no problem with a pick at 15 or 18, because I believe that all three of these players can be core in our cup window, yes, even Marky, with some deserved luck on health the next 4 years.

If we are to finish in the PO as soon as this year, the draft will not get us a surefire star winger. This is not certain, but very likely, and people here should accept that. You can't have your playoffs and star picks too. Odds are against it.

We will have to find another young star winger somehow though, by 2014, as that is the start of our window. And it may have to be through direct trade, or somehow moving up in the 2013 draft with trades. It is imperative that we obtain one more star forward prospect in the next year.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Marky has set Pax up a couple of times with shocking passes. And Pax is not one timing them. He's too surprised the puck is on his stick. You can see Pax has to get used to it!

Slightly OT but the other thing is this trading places Marky and Diaz are doing on the PP, as they slowly move toward net and screw up the box. It's just amazing to see and I wonder if it is Diaz, Marky or the coaches who suggested this. I think it might be Diaz. Tip passing as well, in tight.

Diaz looks so aggressive, and square to the puck, and fast in passing and shooting, it's amazing to see. What happened to this guy?

probably both, while Markov always loved to have a shooter on his right, he had no problem adapting to Diaz (wich is a sign aof a very good player) who doesnt have much of a shot (at least not a Souray or MaB shot).

While they've setup the pair on the blue line, doubt coaching staff have much to do with how they're playing, being so smooth with the puck and trading places isnt something you can really teach.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
probably both, while Markov always loved to have a shooter on his right, he had no problem adapting to Diaz (wich is a sign aof a very good player) who doesnt have much of a shot (at least not a Souray or MaB shot).

While they've setup the pair on the blue line, doubt coaching staff have much to do with how they're playing, being so smooth with the puck and trading places isnt something you can really teach.

Shouldn't you change your title to "25 minutes of Boullion"? :naughty:

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
It's only been 3 games! most of the players/teams are no where near top game shape! Markov is a solid Dman for the habs a very cerebral player but he tends to fade a little when the intensity and physicality goes up a notch ...the habs need Subband and Markov to even hope getting past a team like the Bruins.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I want to personnaly say **** you, to all the posters who were trashing Markov and saying he was done ! There I said it !

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Quick search for your viewing pleasure. Had to cut it short as I'm leaving for work.

thread is here if any of you would like to look for yourself:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=43339827#post43339827

Don't want to brag but here's what I wrote ;)

Honestly, I hope he'll come back in the last 3 weeks of the season. Just to show us he's healthy and still elite, but not too soon so has to decrease the team's chance at obtaining a lotery pick... because when this guy is on, this team wins, plain and simple.

He'll improve the defence, the PP, the 5 on 5 play, everything. Less pressure on PK and Gorges, mentoring Emelin and simply just improving this team. Think the impact of Pronger in Philly...

If he's not ready to come back, I got absolutely no idea what the team will do... maybe Rathje'd is ass on the LTIR, I don't know. But they'll need his cap hit for something else.

Yeah... still **** you to all the real haters ! Markov's the man !

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Let's all collectively pray to the hockey gods that he remains fit for the remainder of the season. He's been awesome out there so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad