Andrei Markov

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Going back to last season habs are 8-4-5 with Markov back. Frankly, I'm not surprise. We always complain about wanting impact players yet we've under-appreciated and ignored the one we've had since 06.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs

Habs Markov, not talking about injuries past: "You guys have no idea how much work I did." He deserves every ounce of his success now.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
He's an inspiration with his work, determination and never abandoning attitude against all his struggles and bad luck. I'm so happy for the man and for the player, I hope he still got the time to get a career worthy of the HHOF.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
Markov has been the Habs' best player since 05-06, and it's the same after his injuries.

The last time we had a better Dman, it was the 1980's.

Plekanov

Jan 30, 2007
With hall-of-famer Lidstrom out of the way now...could Markov become a solid Norris candidate?! Very premature and possibly immature and I don't want to jinx stuff up but maaan Andrei you're the man Andrei !

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm guessing that the consensus #1 d-man on HF is Subban.

However, for those that argue for Markov (which includes me), they can point towards one aspect where Markov is clearly better (at this stage of their respective careers anyways), which is anticipation. Markov's instincts allow the puck to seemingly follow him. On the PP, he always seems one move ahead, and instead of worrying so much about where the puck is, he is already heading towards where the puck is going next. I think subban will get better at this with experience, but Markov has mastered it.

I don't know if that explanation makes any sense but I tried, lol

paddy

Aug 2, 2005

However, for those that argue for Markov (which includes me), they can point towards one aspect where Markov is clearly better (at this stage of their respective careers anyways), which is anticipation. Markov's instincts allow the puck to seemingly follow him. On the PP, he always seems one move ahead, and instead of worrying so much about where the puck is, he is already heading towards where the puck is going next. I think subban will get better at this with experience, but Markov has mastered it.

Markov is superior to Subban in every aspect of the game that matters except skating. No other player has made this team better over the last decade than a healthy Markov. It's a shame that his injuries have erased the collective memories of lots of fans. They also coincided with the arrival of Subban, which further contributed to this "amnesia". If people didn't forget and still think he's not elite, then they simply don't know hockey.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
This really shouldn't turn into a Subban bash-fest. If anyone could use Subban right now it's Markov, so he doesn't have to play 30 minutes a game.

And for all the talk of Subban's high risk mistakes, Markov plays a high risk game himself at times. While he's smart enough to get away with it usually, today he exposed a few times, but luckily nothing came of it. Great defensemen take risks, because their skill is needed more than the ability to stand in front of the net.

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
This really shouldn't turn into a Subban bash-fest. If anyone could use Subban right now it's Markov, so he doesn't have to play 30 minutes a game.

And for all the talk of Subban's high risk mistakes, Markov plays a high risk game himself at times. While he's smart enough to get away with it usually, today he exposed a few times, but luckily nothing came of it. Great defensemen take risks, because their skill is needed more than the ability to stand in front of the net.

As there was no Markov bashing, just rational unbiased statements of fact, shouldn't turn this into a comparison between Markov and Subban.

e46330ivs*

dude you cant teach that, its called instincts/anticipation, some people have it some people dont and it goes way beyond that with Markov, you cant teach what Markov does, I dont care how much video a defenceman, Subban or whoever watched, it cant be taught.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
@ArponBasu
Just for fun, since the start of 09-10 the #Habs are 41-23-13 with Andrei Markov in the lineup and 84-86-21 without him (playoffs included)

Wowww !

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Subban has a lot to prove in a relatively short time but I have no doubt he'll come through (probably to the disappointment of the tankards, who would prefer a cellar finish to a prolongation of the season well into the spring.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Subban has a lot to prove in a relatively short time but I have no doubt he'll come through (probably to the disappointment of the tankards, who would prefer a cellar finish to a prolongation of the season well into the spring.

From the "writings on the wall" most of what PK has to prove is off ice and in the room. Based only on his on ice play so far he would have been getting a 5-6-7 yaer deal for bigger money.

If he shows up and plays like he did in the 2nd half of 10-11 and the last 30 games of 11-12, he will have no issues from MT. I think he can thrive in Therrien's more agressive defensive style, moreso than JM's passive defensive game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
@ArponBasu
Just for fun, since the start of 09-10 the #Habs are 41-23-13 with Andrei Markov in the lineup and 84-86-21 without him (playoffs included)

Wowww !

Not surprised. Markov has always been the Canadiens. Gauthier new it and gambled heavily on him. I still think if Markov would have been healthy to start the season last year the habs could have done some damage. However, the silver lining is new Management team and Galchenyuk.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
dude you cant teach that, its called instincts/anticipation, some people have it some people dont and it goes way beyond that with Markov, you cant teach what Markov does, I dont care how much video a defenceman, Subban or whoever watched, it cant be taught.

To me they have a very different style. But they can both dominate. I hope
MT tries using them together. In important games, they could play 26 -28 minutes.
And a certain poster will be happier that Markov is working for his money.:naughty:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

dropping bombs on the pp..like a boss....if markov stays healthy..do you guys see him being like lidstrom...staying very good even through his late 30's and right up to 40...or is he retiring way before then?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Markov is superior to Subban in every aspect of the game that matters except skating. No other player has made this team better over the last decade than a healthy Markov. It's a shame that his injuries have erased the collective memories of lots of fans. They also coincided with the arrival of Subban, which further contributed to this "amnesia". If people didn't forget and still think he's not elite, then they simply don't know hockey.
Don't agree with this at all.

Subban is far more physical and a better skater than Markov ever was. Markov is incredible on the PP and has great offensive instincts.

Personally, I think Subban will be far better than Markov ever was in the long run but that remains to be seen. I don't think he'll ever be as good as Markov was/is on the PP. Markov is the king there.
Let's all collectively pray to the hockey gods that he remains fit for the remainder of the season. He's been awesome out there so far.
Every time he's touched the puck on the PP we've scored. He had something like a .500 shooting percentage or something crazy like that coming into tonight.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

It might not be taught, but it sure as hell can be learned and incorporated. Anticipation comes with the habit of repetition. Just how far this anticipation can be incorporated depends on the capacities, readiness and willingness to adapt of the individual, and the individual's environment, whether we're talking about the right situations that can develop this trait or the social support to facilitate awareness and readiness.

The ol "it can't be taught" is just fallacious outdated grandfather philosophy. Neurological research clearly shows that the brain adapts to life experiences well into old age (neuroplasticity).

Of course, there are wide varying degrees depending on total life experiences and genetic predispositions, but we're talking about a kid who at 21-23 can anticipate, on defense, some of the best players in the world. I don't see how he couldn't reach a level similar to Markov when it comes to anticipation on offense, or at least a relatively close level of anticipation.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
The way he is playing right now, it makes me sad thinking about how we lost 2 years of him due to injuries, I wish he was 2 years younger so we can have more of him

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
The way he is playing right now, it makes me sad thinking about how we lost 2 years of him due to injuries, I wish he was 2 years younger so we can have more of him

Oh man, totally. But let's not dwell on the past. Look towards the present an into the future. :D

I'm loving him. Always have, always will. This team is entirely different with him in the lineup. Hope this keeps on going. I'd sacrifice an entire farm's worth of crops and animals so the Hockey Gods can keep him healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->