Friedman: Andrei Markov to the KHL - Habs refused 1 year deal

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Way to go, show him even less respect than we did last summer. Markov wanted, should've ended his playing career in Montreal. If we're unable to just do that, let him sign where the f*** he wants to play. We're not a draft pick away to treat an Habs legend like that twice in a row.

excellent post it amazes me what some habs fans seem to forget

this wasnt just another team

this was the team by which all others were measured

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Way to go, show him even less respect than we did last summer. Markov wanted, should've ended his playing career in Montreal. If we're unable to just do that, let him sign where the f*** he wants to play. We're not a draft pick away to treat an Habs legend like that twice in a row.

I meant it as he gets a shot at it for a cup run which is why we deal him. Not in it for the pick, hence the part of he gets a cup run, never mentioned the return as if that was the primary reason

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I meant it as he gets a shot at it for a cup run which is why we deal him. Not in it for the pick, hence the part of he gets a cup run, never mentioned the return as if that was the primary reason

He could have signed with any team...

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Maybe our GM is just the face of what the fans are. Just take a look how people give poor respect to players who play for our team fir their whole life, including Plekanec, Pacioretty and Price at the minute he loses a game. Maybe Markov would be signed a long time ago if everybody stop to talking for a minute of how his skates become louder.

Yeah, Habs just diserve the actual situation.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
this is actually so much disrespect.
not signing him is one thing but to treat him like that after all he has given to the organization..

Reactions: Bieber fever

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah seems pretty disrespectful... but I'd think some of it probably also comes from Markov playing player agent for the first time (?) in his 16 year NHL career. Can't really blame him here considering his guy got decertified but there's a reason players have agents.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He used to be that, but after suffering a groin injury in 2016, he's become half a player he used to be.
Well a rock could describe his play well without meaning he's playing well. He does at times play like a rock.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah seems pretty disrespectful... but I'd think some of it probably also comes from Markov playing player agent for the first time (?) in his 16 year NHL career. Can't really blame him here considering his guy got decertified but there's a reason players have agents.

I’m thinking that’s probably exactly what happened. Players and teams need that buffer in negotiations to keep people from getting hurt.

Markov’s probably thinking no big deal. With their history, they can just sit down and figure out a deal in 10 minutes, and then Bergevin treated him like any old agent

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
Engels is a clown who needs attention because he's irrelevant in the Hockey world. First of all, MTL did listen to Markov, the fact that they offered him 2-3 different deals means they were negotiating. He then whines like a baby that he had to sign on their terms. Well of course he must sign on their terms, it is the team that ultimately decides wether they're going to sign a player or not, and not the other way around. He said he wanted a 2 year contract or we wasn't going to resign. MTL wanted to only give him 1 year (due to his age), Markov declined. If he was such in high demand, certainly there would've been at least one other team out there who would've given him the 2 year deal he wanted. At 38 years old, all teams go on a year by year basis, even Detroit did the same with their Hall of Famer defensemen Lidstrom. What made Markov think he was so special?

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Its no big deal Markov still loves the habs and will always do! He's just like the rest of us and have no respect for bergevin! Same goes with Subban! Wich i suspect will finish his career in Montreal when he hits the FA @ 34!

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I wondered about that too. Seeing how the sausage is made isn't the right move for everyone. On the other hand, he probably thought that he is in his twilight years but still performing well and assumed he would get a fair shake by the only organization he's ever known in the NHL. I'm pretty sure Modano represented himself at some point in his 30's and it worked out for him (even if he played one last year in another uniform).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Engels is a clown who needs attention because he's irrelevant in the Hockey world. First of all, MTL did listen to Markov, the fact that they offered him 2-3 different deals means they were negotiating. He then whines like a baby that he had to sign on their terms. Well of course he must sign on their terms, it is the team that ultimately decides wether they're going to sign a player or not, and not the other way around. He said he wanted a 2 year contract or we wasn't going to resign. MTL wanted to only give him 1 year (due to his age), Markov declined. If he was such in high demand, certainly there would've been at least one other team out there who would've given him the 2 year deal he wanted. At 38 years old, all teams go on a year by year basis, even Detroit did the same with their Hall of Famer defensemen Lidstrom. What made Markov think he was so special?

Not sure about all the ins and outs but do we know another team wouldn't offer him the two years for sure? (I don't know)

It could all just be poor communication but the guy played in one jersey for over 1,000 games, there has to be a reason he felt slighted. Like, maybe he is being a whiney little baby. Or maybe he thought there would be an honest discussion about everything and it never happened.

If this were a corporate job I would be inclined to believe and side with the employee. I'm inclined to take Markov's side here and empathize that he felt like he deserved more respect than he got in the process. And I'm not talking about $$ respect or meeting his demands. I mean respect in the true sense of the word.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017

He's a UFA, Montreal holds no control over him. If he wants to sign with Montreal to get to 1000 games and the Habs agree, how is that disrespectful to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad