Friedman: Andrei Markov to the KHL - Habs refused 1 year deal

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I say people who act like Markov had totally regressed and it a shallow fraction of his former self of lunatics.

Well probably all you can see is his passing play.

Defensively, he was on par with Emelin's play, which says alot.

Markov has regress and it's normal due to his age, chirurgies and all. But yet, was asking for a salary raise, which is puzzling.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Really??

What if he was asking for 7M$ a year?? Is it still a bad plan to not resign him??

Markov for 1 year is better than nothing. I doubt he signed for that in KHL.

You amateurs are acting like MB is a 25 IQ.

0 Montreal fans have managed to explain how this offseason has been great or even good for Montreal.

Yes I'm seriously doubting Bergevins talents, team in win now mode is in no hope condition.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Unbelievable. Habs management is clueless. They have no idea what they are doing short or long-term.

Just give Markov his one year deal. Jesus

and this is coming from a fan of the worst managed team in the nhl..

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Serg had a mediocre draft plus one so I'm kinda impressed you got drouin for him even tho he doesn't fit your needs. But rads had no reason to give montreal a discount or anything they shoulda gave him term last year . So losing rad shouldn't factor into it .

Plus they got drouin while all of you thought you guys would re sign Radulov anyways

I live in Montreal and love this city (except the terrible roads) but I am not a Habs fan ;)

They made a good catch landing Radulov last year but losing him for the upcoming season(s) is a huge blow. It has nothing to do with the Drouin trade (which was excellent for Montreal I believe) but it's still reality in terms of the roster. Drouin comes in but Radulov is gone.

Which is twice as funny considering Bargain Bin was adamant he wouldn't trade Sergachev in a deal for Duchene, who is an actual need as a C, but was more than happy to do so for a winger.

Overpay Radulov, trade Sergachev + 2nd + I dunno for Duchene and :

Pacioretty-Duchene-Radulov
Galchenyuk-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-Hemsky

Extras : Hudon, McCarron, Martinsen

It changes everything, the offense is way deeper... Defense is not very good but Price can make them look good.

Anyway, it's just my 2 cents. I feel the Habs fans pain with Bergevin in charge (many of my real life friends are Habs fans). He's good when he signs players though (well except Plekanec and maybe Shaw, Petry, Alzner and Price). The rest of his signings were more than excellent. Even trades are good but I dunno, it's his roster and asset management that is not working.

Watching the once proud and historic Canadiens slowly circle the drain while losing all credibility and respect, or watching the delusional fans still support an over payed, over rated, and obviously out of his depth joke of a GM.

To be honest, accumulating titles back in the days wasn't super hard (when you compare with today, national sport of a small country that became an international sport). Even Ottawa had 11 titles in the first few decades.

Problem is the Montreal medias have sold the "glorious past" so much that now every year is a big big disappointment for this city. It's not the 50's or 60's anymore lol. They live in the past so much. Montreal has 2 Cups in the last 38 years and none in almost 25 years.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Markov for 1 year is better than nothing. I doubt he signed for that in KHL.

0 Montreal fans have managed to explain how this offseason has been great or even good for Montreal.

Yes I'm seriously doubting Bergevins talents, team in win now mode is in no hope condition.

Markov's ask was 2 years at 6M$ per. I'm pretty sure he was asking 7M$ + for a year. And it is just plain stupidity to give that to a regressing 39 years old D.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I live in Montreal and love this city (except the terrible roads) but I am not a Habs fan ;)

They made a good catch landing Radulov last year but losing him for the upcoming season(s) is a huge blow. It has nothing to do with the Drouin trade (which was excellent for Montreal I believe) but it's still reality in terms of the roster. Drouin comes in but Radulov is gone.

Overpay Radulov, trade Sergachev + 2nd + I dunno for Duchene and :

Pacioretty-Duchene-Radulov
Galchenyuk-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Plekanec-Shaw
Byron-Mitchell-Hemsky

Extras : Hudon, McCarron, Martinsen

It changes everything, the offense is way deeper... Defense is not very good but Price can make them look good.

Anyway, it's just my 2 cents. I feel the Habs fans pain with Bergevin in charge (many of my real life friends are Habs fans). He's good when he signs players though (well except Plekanec and maybe Shaw, Petry, Alzner and Price). The rest of his signings were more than excellent. Even trades are good but I dunno, it's his roster and asset management that is not working.

To be honest, accumulating titles back in the days wasn't super hard (when you compare with today, national sport of a small country that became an international sport). Even Ottawa had 11 titles in the first few decades.

Problem is the Montreal medias have sold the "glorious past" so much that now every year is a big big disappointment for this city. It's not the 50's or 60's anymore lol. They live in the past so much.

The + i dunno was reportedly Galchenyuk...

Saying it would've been better doing this or that while not getting a clue of what was being discussed is pretty easy for us fans don't you think.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Markov's ask was 2 years at 6M$ per. I'm pretty sure he was asking 7M$ + for a year. And it is just plain stupidity to give that to a regressing 39 years old D.

Much better than getting nothing instead while in win-now mode. He still was a first pairing guy.

And that stuff about salary's just speculation on your part. Not that Habs couldn't afford that.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Unbelievable. Habs management is clueless. They have no idea what they are doing short or long-term.

Just give Markov his one year deal. Jesus

Markov does nothing at all for Habs in the playoffs. Yes he is a good 3rd D during the season but we will make playoffs with or without him.

Giving him 7M$ for a year would've handcuff Bergevin for whatever deal he could make during the season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Much better than getting nothing instead while in win-now mode. He still was a first pairing guy.

And that stuff about salary's just speculation on your part. Not that Habs couldn't afford that.

See my last post. And talking about speculation, everything here is about speculation.

And no he is not a top pairing D anymore.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

This is also pure speculation.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sucks for them because they have a "base" for a good future top-9.

Drouin, Jonathan (22)
Galchenyuk, Alex (23)
Lehkonen, Artturi (22)
Gallagher, Brendan (25)
Danault, Phillip (24)
Hudon, Charles (23)
McCarron, Michael (22)
Shaw, Andrew (26)

2 "older" guys but that should still contribute for years :

Pacioretty, Max (28)
Byron, Paul (28)

Not much on defense/goaltending though, pieces are closing on 30 y/o or already over.

Petry, Jeff (29)
Alzner, Karl (28)
Price, Carey (29)

a few interesting prospects though :

Juulsen, Noah (20)
Mete, Victor (19)
Lindgren, Charlie (23)
McNiven, Michael (20)

The + i dunno was reportedly Galchenyuk...

Saying it would've been better doing this or that while not getting a clue of what was being discussed is pretty easy for us fans don't you think.

Gosh I forgot he was dealing with somebody even worse. Then, you're right... nothing Bergevin could have done.

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Well probably all you can see is his passing play.

Defensively, he was on par with Emelin's play, which says alot.

Markov has regress and it's normal due to his age, chirurgies and all. But yet, was asking for a salary raise, which is puzzling.

He was having a tough time in the playoffs where part of the Rangers gameplan was to soft-dump into his corner (keeps it away from Price too). His declining strength/speed was being exposed, he was struggling.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
unbelievable. Habs management is clueless. They have no idea what they are doing short or long-term.

Just give markov his one year deal. Jesus

sure give him 12 million and year and bonuses. Whatever he wants. Clueless all right.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
sure give him 12 million and year and bonuses. Whatever he wants. Clueless all right.

The thing is that evaluating these moves would only be possible with a complete record and timeline of every offer from both camps. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic expectation.

So you can either believe that Bergevin is deliberately sabotaging his team and legacy to troll a few internet whiners, or that he and his advisors (Dudley, Timmins, Julien, etc.) genuinely determined that signing Markov at his asking price would be detrimental to the teams success.

That's it.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
unbelievable. Habs management is clueless. They have no idea what they are doing short or long-term.

Just give markov his one year deal. Jesus

i firmly believe bergevin is one of the top gm in the league. If sergachev becomes average and drouin becomes a game breaker yous wont acknowledge for a second that he fleeced the great yzerman. He fleeced bowman for danault and a second for nothing but that doesnt count. Because bergevin wouldnt give markov and radulov what they wanted shows he can say no. Anyone who can say markov is worth 6-7 million on a one year deal after last years playoffs seriously needs their head read.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
sucks for them because they have a "base" for a good future top-9.

Drouin, jonathan (22)
galchenyuk, alex (23)
lehkonen, artturi (22)
gallagher, brendan (25)
danault, phillip (24)
hudon, charles (23)
mccarron, michael (22)
shaw, andrew (26)

Pacioretty, max (28)
byron, paul (28)

not much on defense/goaltending though, pieces are closing on 30 y/o or already over.

Petry, jeff (29)
alzner, karl (28)
price, carey (29)

Juulsen, noah (20)
mete, victor (19)
lindgren, charlie (23)
mcniven, michael (20)

gosh i forgot he was dealing with somebody even worse. Then, you're right... Nothing bergevin could have done.

you seem like a closet habs fan. Stand up .be a man. You know you want to.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
the thing is that evaluating these moves would only be possible with a complete record and timeline of every offer from both camps. Unfortunately, that's not a realistic expectation.

So you can either believe that bergevin is deliberately sabotaging his team and legacy to troll a few internet whiners, or that he and his advisors (dudley, timmins, julien, etc.) genuinely determined that signing markov at his asking price would be detrimental to the teams success.

That's it.

i think your getting it . Its obvious that they felt for the money there was better options . I find it funny that if we put markov in a trade proposal in the last 12 months we couldnt get a frisbee for him at 5.75 million but somehow bergevin doesnt give him 6-7 million and he should be fired.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
sucks for them because they have a "base" for a good future top-9.

Drouin, jonathan (22)
galchenyuk, alex (23)
lehkonen, artturi (22)
gallagher, brendan (25)
danault, phillip (24)
hudon, charles (23)
mccarron, michael (22)
shaw, andrew (26)

Pacioretty, max (28)
byron, paul (28)

not much on defense/goaltending though, pieces are closing on 30 y/o or already over.

Petry, jeff (29)
alzner, karl (28)
price, carey (29)

Juulsen, noah (20)
mete, victor (19)
lindgren, charlie (23)
mcniven, michael (20)

gosh i forgot he was dealing with somebody even worse. Then, you're right... Nothing bergevin could have done.

not much on defense or goaltending. I think there are 27 other teams who cannot match the goaltending and there isnt even an argument to made there. Not much on goaltending. Seriously.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Bottom line is Habs are still missing the following to be a serious contender

1C
2C
2D Your only going to get one of those with 8.5 (approx.) if you can manage it.

Whether the Habs signed Markov or not the holes remain and come PO time the Habs are not a serious contender.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
not much on defense or goaltending. I think there are 27 other teams who cannot match the goaltending and there isnt even an argument to made there. Not much on goaltending. Seriously.

He wasn't saying anything about Price's current ability- it was projecting to future based on that young group of forwards.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
you seem like a closet habs fan. Stand up .be a man. You know you want to.

lol no but I don't hate the Habs, mostly because I love the city much more than before now. Like I said, many of my real life friends (particularly hockey friends) are Habs fans so that plays into the balance. I was a Nordiques fan when I first came to Canada (from Europe) but had to find another team after they moved but it couldn't be the Habs. Finally became a Sens fan after Alfie's rookie season.

That being said, my other favorite teams are Preds, Flames and Jets (Red Wings before they moved to the East). I don't have any Eastern team among my favorites.

It's weird that you quoted my post twice lol, you could just edit and put it together.

Anyway, I didn't say defense OR goaltending, I said defense/goaltending because I put it together. If you notice, I was talking about young assets (under 30 years old) and stated that all they had were good players almost 30 y/o (or more) with a few interesting prospects.

Of course Price should be good for a little while but there's not much future in front of him as we talk right now.

He wasn't saying anything about Price's current ability- it was projecting to future based on that young group of forwards.

Well, this.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Of course not, but Sergachev + 2nd was the price to pay to replace Radulov contributions.

Once again you're comparison is completely irrelevant. Not a single Montreal fan wanted Radulov to be tied up for 5 years. If Dallas would have got away with something like 3 years, then maybe you could add his name into it. I guess you're just so used to Melnyk handing out big contracts.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Once again you're comparison is completely irrelevant. Not a single Montreal fan wanted Radulov to be tied up for 5 years. If Dallas would have got away with something like 3 years, then maybe you could add his name into it. I guess you're just so used to Melnyk handing out big contracts.

I'd have taken him for 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad