Friedman: Andrei Markov to the KHL - Habs refused 1 year deal

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
So wrong in so many ways and the fact you agree with Bergevin is sad. Why should Markov worry about his future until September? The team should have had him signed a long time ago and that's all on Bergevin.

How does Bergevin lose leverage by signing Markov? First of all have Markov been signed like he should have been, Streit would never have been signed. Giving up picks and prospects (from a very shallow prospect pool) is why this team is circling the drain right now. They gave up their best prospect and didn't fill a position of need and instead got an overrated Drouin.

You are living in a dreamworld with a cup of Bergevin Kool-Aid if you think Alzner is a good puck moving dman. That Davidson and Shelmko are more than 3rd paring guys. Having 9 dmen signed does not mean that they are good dmen. Most are average to below average at best.

You won't get a top talent at center with picks and the Habs prospect pool. The team would have to give up something from the lineup which means creating another hole to fill one. And that is without filling the need for a top pairing puck moving dman.

So no, this off season has not been good in any way, shape or form.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote so try again.

wesleysnipe

Jul 2, 2017
That's still not elite and would just make the offense even worse.

Should have just signed Markov and keep that forward if that was the plan.

at this point your are just bashing the habs ..its easy to bash a team you hate..but stats say other wise..with price in net habs will still be top tier in goal allowed

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
See my last post. And talking about speculation, everything here is about speculation.

And no he is not a top pairing D anymore.

Neither is Alzner.

This is also pure speculation.

It's based on how the roster is build.

at this point your are just bashing the habs ..its easy to bash a team you hate..but stats say other wise..with price in net habs will still be top tier in goal allowed

Any team that's build like this will/would get the same comments from me.

Still 0 Montreal fans have managed to explain how any of this makes sense.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bottom line is Habs are still missing the following to be a serious contender

1C
2C
2D Your only going to get one of those with 8.5 (approx.) if you can manage it.

Whether the Habs signed Markov or not the holes remain and come PO time the Habs are not a serious contender.

actually with 8.5 you could pick up 3. for example and i stress examples.

plekanec and a seconf for koivu -1.5
gallagher and a first for leddy - 2ish
danault and 2019 1st for carter - 3ish

off the top of my head examples

wesleysnipe

Jul 2, 2017
Neither is Alzner.

habs in 2016 200 goal allowed and they had a 10 goal blowout versus columbus..which put team in the top tier of the league..so losing markov bealieu and emelin will suddendly put us in the 230 ga range? did a miss anything here?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Wouldn't they be pretty informed on the topic? Bergevin is a train wreck

being in that media circus with some of the situations he's dealt with i think hes been awesome. yes a couple losses and a couple gains this year but overall between managing the cap and trades hes made, if it were up to me he'd be getting an extension. i think other gms are actually a little shy to deal with him.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Neither is Alzner.

lalzner is a rock defensively and never misses a game

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Once again you're comparison is completely irrelevant. Not a single Montreal fan wanted Radulov to be tied up for 5 years. If Dallas would have got away with something like 3 years, then maybe you could add his name into it. I guess you're just so used to Melnyk handing out big contracts.

Why? A UFA is a free wallet, doesn't cost any asset and it's not like Montreal didn't have a lot of budget.

I see you're trying to make a snide remark about Melnyk and the Sens, but it's not comparable. Sens have spent on players when it was the time to, but they also have been a budget team for a long time and one of the teams that spends the less. They don't have the finances to get out of contracts like the Kaberle or Gomez ones. Or buy high priced UFAs.

I don't see why some posters are trying to make it sound as irrelevant. Radulov is gone for real and that hurts the team. It always hurt a team when a good player leaves through UFA, unless you have somebody that you can promote from within and be as good. In that case, Drouin will have to replace Radu's contributions and Montreal had to pay Sergachev + 2nd (I think Habs made a good deal there though)

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
actually with 8.5 you could pick up 3. for example and i stress examples.

plekanec and a seconf for koivu -1.5
gallagher and a first for leddy - 2ish
danault and 2019 1st for carter - 3ish

off the top of my head examples

Yes cause everyone is getting in line to pick up plekanec at 6M cap hit and even if it would get you Koivu he's not a 1 or a 2 anymore. Koivu is 6.75M

gallagher and a 1st may get you Leddy but he's a 4 not a 2 and Leddy is 5.5M

danault and a 1st doesn't get you Carter .Carter is 5.25M

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i guess he really wanted to go back home or finish career with habs cause a lot of teams could use him in their top 4

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
Signing Markov at 1 year would have been wise, assuming there was a no NMC/NTC involved. Someone would have paid for him at the deadline and the habs could have snagged a pick or two for his services. Especially with Sergachev gone, I have a hard time wrapping my head around Bergevin's game plan.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Yes cause everyone is getting in line to pick up plekanec at 6M cap hit and even if it would get you Koivu he's not a 1 or a 2 anymore. Koivu is 6.75M

gallagher and a 1st may get you Leddy but he's a 4 not a 2 and Leddy is 5.5M

danault and a 1st doesn't get you Carter .Carter is 5.25M

First off... Pleks has negative value. If Price gets hurt or simply plays above average, the Habs may easily be a bottom 10 team. Why risk trading a first when their prospect pool is easily one of the worst in the league when it comes to potential difference makers. They should be trading for 1st round picks to try to find their future number 1 D and C. Kings laugh at that offer unless they also believe Habs are going to be bottom 5. And the Habs lose a C in the process.

Everyone knows Price can change things on his own, but assuming he doesn't go supernatural...I think the Habs are stuck in mediocrity for years to come. Too many up and coming teams in the division that are passing the Habs. Let's see what MB can do with that space. But right now the Canes, Leafs, Philly, TB, Caps, Pens, Sabres, Sens, BJ and possibly Jersey are all great teams or getting better. And are they better than the Rangers or Bruins? Maybe. Maybe not. Team isn't good enough to compete...Price too good to bottom out. Dark days ahead barring luck in the lottery.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
habs in 2016 200 goal allowed and they had a 10 goal blowout versus columbus..which put team in the top tier of the league..so losing markov bealieu and emelin will suddendly put us in the 230 ga range? did a miss anything here?

This is how you explain Montreal had a good offseason?

lalzner is a rock defensively and never misses a game

You are in for a surprise.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
i firmly believe bergevin is one of the top gm in the league. If sergachev becomes average and drouin becomes a game breaker yous wont acknowledge for a second that he fleeced the great yzerman. He fleeced bowman for danault and a second for nothing but that doesnt count. Because bergevin wouldnt give markov and radulov what they wanted shows he can say no. Anyone who can say markov is worth 6-7 million on a one year deal after last years playoffs seriously needs their head read.

Go back and look at the team he inherited and tell me the team is better today. He had all the pieces five years ago to have a Stanley Cup contending team and has done nothing but get by for the five years he's been there. "build through the draft", comical in that they have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL.

Rass

Apr 7, 2006
rhlsim.tripod.com
Bring him back. Get his 10 games in the CH so he reaxhes 1000. Still able to deal him if we’re out and he gets a cup run with or without Montreal
Way to go, show him even less respect than we did last summer. Markov wanted, should've ended his playing career in Montreal. If we're unable to just do that, let him sign where the f*** he wants to play. We're not a draft pick away to treat an Habs legend like that twice in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad