Confirmed with Link: Andrei Markov retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There were no discussions. None at all. That has been confirmed several times by several journalists and mentioned a dozen times in this thread alone. Bergevin himself said he made a take or leave it offer.

Your hate for Markov is something else.

MB said it himself. It was take it or leave it offers.

/edit

oups should have read all your post before replying lol sorry about that

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I think you have to ask the question, if Markov didn't want more money, what was he trying to negotiate, M & M's? There are reasonable negotiation requests, and unreasonable ones.
We may never know all the details.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
People love to bash Bergevin and Molson on the topic, but if Markov really wanted to be back three years ago he would've.It was his decision in the end and he decided not to sign the contract offered.There were years he was underpaid and years he was grossly overpaid especially after his injuries. So the habs were always fair to him and he loved being here and was a great defenseman for us and one of the best of all time in hab's history.It takes two to tango in the end.Wouldv've loved to see him get his 1000 games and pass Lapointe but it wasn't meant to be. He could've signed for one year and took it from there.

Bergevin had made an offer to Markov that would’ve allowed him to make his desired salary through performance bonuses once he had come off his demand for a two-year contract and was willing to sign for only one year.

“Yes, there were bonuses,” Markov confirmed. “But it wasn’t a question of money, it was a question of the way it was presented to me. We didn’t even talk. I didn’t like the way they made their offer. There were no discussions. Just an offer made and that’s it.”
Your last paragraph says it all imo... He's arguably the habs best player in the last 2 decades, top10 dman worldwide for 5 years easily, such a shame the wasted years (knee injuries), we're talking 1000+ gp, 650+pts, 2nd all-time points for dman on hockey's most storied franchise, excellent in all situations and such a smart player, he could do it all at a very high level, he's a legend for me... You can tell an average player "take the offer or f-off", you treat a player his caliber with a bit more respect... I didn't like the sergachev trade too much (i liked drouin but i don't think i make the deal)... The radulov thing was pretty bad too (if you need to outbid another team to keep him you do it that's it)... And markov... Sigh... What a shit summer that was... Farewell general thanks for the memories

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Completely disagree. Négociations are negotiations. Don’t want your feelings hurt? Get an agent like everyone else. Geez.
Brodeur never needed an agent and you know why? because he felt that the NJD organization (Lou) would back him up and gave him a fair deal.

This is not a game, you are dealing with real people and not just numbers. I mean, MB was trigger happy to offer (bad contacts) to an aging Plekanec, a past his prime Price and mid season long term contract to dime a dozen players like Desharnais and Byron. I won't even mention the great Alzner. If it would have a taken Markov a real agent to make sure he overpays him then it should tell you more about how bad of a person or a negotiator is Bergevin.

Markov even refused other teams offer because of his attachment to Montreal. And please don't tell me that the habs were a better team without him. They had terrible seasons and looked disjointed offensively and defensively and he would have definitely have improved the habs abysmal powerplay. I mean him and Weber would have been a thousand time better than Drouin-Weber or whatever experiement we had the past few years.

Bergevin did screw up and he does deserve the blame on how he handled this whole fiasco.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you have to ask the question, if Markov didn't want more money, what was he trying to negotiate, M & M's? There are reasonable negotiation requests, and unreasonable ones.
We may never know all the details.

Bergevin didn't want to offer him guaranteed salary, a lot of it was performance based. That's what the issue was. At first it was the term, Markov wanted 2 years, Bergevin just 1 year, Markov agreed to take the one year deal but he wanted his salary guaranteed. Bergevin refused.

It's pretty stupid in the end because performance salary on 35+ contracts count against the cap anyways so it literally would have changed nothing for Bergevin. It only makes a difference to Markov and Molson.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Brodeur never needed an agent and you know why? because he felt that the NJD organization (Lou) would back him up and gave him a fair deal.

This is not a game, you are dealing with real people and not just numbers. I mean, MB was trigger happy to offer (bad contacts) to an aging Plekanec, a past his prime Price and mid season long term contract to dime a dozen players like Desharnais and Byron. I won't even mention the great Alzner. If it would have a taken Markov a real agent to make sure he overpays him then it should tell you more about how bad of a person or a negotiator is Bergevin.

Markov even refused other teams offer because of his attachment to Montreal. And please don't tell me that the habs were a better team without him. They had terrible seasons and looked disjointed offensively and defensively and he would have definitely have improved the habs abysmal powerplay. I mean him and Weber would have been a thousand time better than Drouin-Weber or whatever experiement we had the past few years.

Bergevin did screw up and he does deserve the blame on how he handled this whole fiasco.

I think its on Markov. Every point you bring up come back to the fact that it is Markov who left because he had his feelings hurt.

You speculate about Brodeur but he always had very low salary for his talent. Ok, Markov could have done like Brodeur and taken a 1 year deal that was offered.

During a negotiation, the guy that leaves the table has to be blamed for the no-deal.

I’ve read all the arguments for Markov but I think its BS. Don’t leave the négociations, get an agent and sign the deal you are offered if you don’t want to negociate with other teams. That last point is also the worse negociating mistake one can make.

All the players know that the NHL is a business. Act like a pro. The GM works for the owner and his job is to make money. All the players know this.

I see absolutely no excuse that are in Markov’s favor. Had it been anyone else as GM or player, probably more people would agree. Because people hate MB and loved the years Markov gave to the team.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I loved the player but I think he acted like a child and left because the GM hurt his feelings during négociations, which is completely ridiculous for a professional.

I am mad at him for that.
... Everything he did for the team man, i can understand him, you know what, your the best employee on a multimillion$ company for 20years, even if i love working for that company and love the community, when you have a career like he's had you deserve respect, period... He could have played elsewhere for better $ or better teams whenever he wanted, he still stayed here, loyal like a dog lol... I don't understand the "childish/pouting" argument honestly, sounds like he thinks he should've been treated better and he had every right imo... I respect your opinion but i disagree respectfully

Reactions: ArtPeur

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think its on Markov. Every point you bring up come back to the fact that it is Markov who left because he had his feelings hurt.

You speculate about Brodeur but he always had very low salary for his talent. Ok, Markov could have done like Brodeur and taken a 1 year deal that was offered.

During a negotiation, the guy that leaves the table has to be blamed for the no-deal.

I’ve read all the arguments for Markov but I think its BS. Don’t leave the négociations, get an agent and sign the deal you are offered if you don’t want to negociate with other teams. That last point is also the worse negociating mistake one can make.

All the players know that the NHL is a business. Act like a pro. The GM works for the owner and his job is to make money. All the players know this.

I see absolutely no excuse that are in Markov’s favor. Had it been anyone else as GM or player, probably more people would agree. Because people hate MB and loved the years Markov gave to the team.
I think you vision are a bit too much blurred with your love for Bergy in this case. Did Markov get hurt and offended? Possibly... and although you might question his intention. I agree that he could have accepted the 1 year deal offered, yes. Although I still believe it was dicky move on MB part based on the player history.

That being said don't tell me after that it is the GM job and owner to get more money and they did everything right there, because right there you got everything very wrong.

I mean how could you say it was a good deal for the habs to lose their best PP asset, a respected player and with a great production the prior year and to not properly replace him? I mean if the habs finished first or at least made the playoff your point would somehow make sense but the habs did not made the playoff, their PP was one of the worst in memory. In the process Molson lost a ton of money. It reflected bad on the players in the room to see a dedicated habs out of the door in that maner. And to make it worse the habs had to send their multi rich new defensive asset to their farm team.

And the cherry on the cake, the habs were not even cap strapped and had plenty of room that were left unused for the whole year. I clearly remember Bergy apologist telling us that the left over caps would be used because he definitely would not let his team that exposed. But guess what? there was no masterplan and he did left his cap space unused and the results were as we could have all guessed at the time, horrible.

The fact that Bergevin still kept his job after that whole shit show, just tell you how terrible of a president/owner is Molson. Because, as you even mentioned it, Molson job is to maximize is investment and as much money as he can and clearly Bergevin has failed in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Death and ArtPeur

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin didn't want to offer him guaranteed salary, a lot of it was performance based. That's what the issue was. At first it was the term, Markov wanted 2 years, Bergevin just 1 year, Markov agreed to take the one year deal but he wanted his salary guaranteed. Bergevin refused.

It's pretty stupid in the end because performance salary on 35+ contracts count against the cap anyways so it literally would have changed nothing for Bergevin. It only makes a difference to Markov and Molson.
This should be pinned.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Since the 2000-2001 season (his rookie year), he leads the Habs in games played, assists, plus/minus and is second overall in points.

He is also 10th overall in scoring for NHL defensemen since that season.

Pretty good for a 6th round pick.
A better team and he’s in the hall imo. Great dman and his impact on the Canadiens cannot be overstated. He kept this team above water while our record without him was brutal. We still haven’t recovered from losing him.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think you vision are a bit too much blurred with your love for Bergy in this case. Did Markov get hurt and offended? Possibly... and although you might question his intention. I agree that he could have accepted the 1 year deal offered, yes. Although I still believe it was dicky move on MB part based on the player history.

That being said don't tell me after that it is the GM job and owner to get more money and they did everything right there, because right there you got everything very wrong.

I mean how could you say it was a good deal for the habs to lose their best PP asset, a respected player and with a great production the prior year and to not properly replace him? I mean if the habs finished first or at least made the playoff your point would somehow make sense but the habs did not made the playoff, their PP was one of the worst in memory. In the process Molson lost a ton of money. It reflected bad on the players in the room to see a dedicated habs out of the door in that maner. And to make it worse the habs had to send their multi rich new defensive asset to their farm team.

And the cherry on the cake, the habs were not even cap strapped and had plenty of room that were left unused for the whole year. I clearly remember Bergy apologist telling us that the left over caps would be used because he definitely would not let his team that exposed. But guess what? there was no masterplan and he did left his cap space unused and the results were as we could have all guessed at the time, horrible.

The fact that Bergevin still kept his job after that whole shit show, just tell you how terrible of a president/owner is Molson. Because, as you even mentioned it, Molson job is to maximize is investment and as much money as he can and clearly Bergevin has failed in that regard.
It is not black or white situation. I think Markov was an ass in this situation but that doesn’t mean I love MB. I just think Markov had a lot of tools/options available and he left like a kid.

It is a little like when you have someone who you have high expectations from (Markov) and a guy you don’t really expect much from (MB).

When the guy that you had high expectations fails, he falls from higher and the disappointment is much bigger.

Markov failed Big time in this regard.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin didn't want Markov as much as he wanted Karl Alzner and therein lies the problem, forget about the negotiations, who said and did what and who didn't.

Bergevin wanted Drouin more than he wanted our replacement for Markov and there too lies the bigger issue, forget about everything else, just look at his poor judgment concerning the left side of our D core.

Bergevin gave Radulov a take it or leave it offer which in retrospect was peanuts in comparison to what some players got after the Radulov deal with Dallas.

The issue with all three of these moves in that one off-season was the final nail for this franchise. Those three moves and the lack of foresight/judgment/lack of intelligence attached to them were wrong on so many levels.

This is a Markov appreciation thread but I felt that it was fitting to mention the other moves because I feel that they are all attached to each other. 3 years later and we are doing favors for Kovalchuk after 20 something games with the franchise but showed none of that to guys that meant much more to the well being of this hockey team than he does. Yeah, "Bergie" knows/knew what he was/is doing lol.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Why is Geoff Molson the habs owner for god sake is not even mentioning or thankful to Markov was has been the habs best player for almost 2 decades. It's such a letdown!!

...and getting roasted in comments.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The Alzner deal would’ve been the absolute biggest slap in the face considering it happened directly on July 1st. If Bergevin was offering Markov less then what he signed Alzner too, and I’m just talking money because obviously he wasn’t going to get term or atleast not much, he put himself in a situation where he was going to pay more to keep Markov who was still a superior player despite age. The reality is everyone around the league seemed to know Alzner was declining fast except Bergevin and his pro scouts. How that went unnoticed is still baffling to me. He sunk money into a terrible contract and it handcuffed him with resigning players he needed to get done.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I don't post here much anymore but had to sign in and pay respect to the General. Incredible career. My favourite defenseman. Will never forgive this organization for not signing him and having him retire a Hab, but also really happy he went on to win the KHL cup that year instead.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
does anyone know if Markov will live in Russia from now on? After all he has dual.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
another thing. now that Markov has retired, this is Montreal, Markov may not have this number retired but this is Montreal. When this dam pandemic is over and things go back to normal Markov deserves his last standing ovation from the MTL fans. Fly him in, put his at center ice for his final 5 min ovation as a THANK YOU for your time with MTL.
This is the way Montreal does things.

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
10 games short of a milestone, he could have jumped in like he did with Subban negotiations but didn't. Screw him and his fake sentiments.

Are you talking about Markov here who refused to sign a one year deal?

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
The general :yo:

Favorite hab of my life time. He reminded me of another idol I had as a kid, Zinedine Zidane. Not the most physical, not the fastest, not the strongest, but absolute brains and elegant on the pitch/ice.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal

Favorite hab of my life time. He reminded me of another idol I had as a kid, Zinedine Zidane. Not the most physical, not the fastest, not the strongest, but absolute brains and elegant on the pitch/ice.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Uses his brains alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad