Confirmed with Link: Andrei Markov retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
One of those players that could elevate his team to be better than they really are. Sadly, he was at times under appreciated. He deserves a huge ovation at the BC.

While Markov went under radar, some of his D mates took full advantage. Just ask Komisarek. ;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Where Bergevin screwed up was with his loyalty and dog comment. That's all on him.

Aside from that, let's not absolve Markov from those contract negotiations. MB said he was offering him the typical 35+ contract. Which has a base salary and a lot of performance bonuses, easily attainable ones like 10 GP, 20 GP, and those types of bonuses. The same kind of contract Chara signed with Boston the last two years.

Another part where Markov went wrong is he chose to represent himself rather than have an agent represent him. So he's hearing MB tell him why he wants to pay less. So his ego was taking a hit listening to that. This is why an agent is imperative. He's the buffer. He's the one the GM says those things to.

This is why last off-season, Markov hired Alan Walsh to see if he can get an NHL deal. He learned from last time.

And I'm not saying it's all on Markov. It takes two to dance. But I don't think it's fair that it's all put on MB.
I mean, who cares though? We can use hindsight, refusing to give Markov did not help us in the least. We got nothing out of it. We just kept big cap space for no damn reason.
All this because Markov didn't want some performance bonus shaped contract? What was the point of this hard stance of not giving into Markov's demands? What did it accomplish? Jack shit.

So ya, Markov played hard on his last contract and we continued missing the POs. Super move.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Maybe Markov doesn't want a ceremony, maybe he wouldn't go to one,

Do they really want to have a ceremony without the player present?

If Markov wanted to stay and get his 1,000 games he could have, it obviously wasn't that important to him, he is the one that walked, and turned his back to the organization,

i highly doubt he cares about a possible jersey retirement or ceremony
Lol...what the hell are you talking about man?

Have you ever given yourself 17 years of hard work, great memories, growth, experiences, accomplishments, retiring an illustrious career, to an employer?
You think he doesn't care about the city and organization where he's lived and grown for almost half of his life recognizing his terrific career with a ceremony of some sort?? Are you insane? Lol..Of course he would absolutely freaking care. Anybody in his position would.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Subban's career dropped steadily off the face of the earth for what now? 3 seasons or so...

Markov been gone 3 seasons now... Coincidence?

Let's face it, Markovs been our best defenseman since arguably Desjardins in 94.

If Habs have to retire a jersey of the newer players, then Markov and Koivu are the only options.

Guy was fantastic for us before and after 2 big knee injuries!

Would love to have him back in some capacity.

Special teams coach or something.

I have his Jersey and keep wearing it proudly! And most importantly can still wear it with pride because he was a Habs lifer.

Last edited:

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Class thing to do for me would be to sign him to a one day contract and let him retire a Hab.
Not against the idea in any way, I have just not understood why?
It doesn't change a thing more than on paper?
And you get to take a picture with the GM wearing chinos and a shirt.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Not against the idea in any way, I have just not understood why?
It doesn't change a thing more than on paper?
And you get to take a picture with the GM wearing chinos and a shirt.
Partly to get beyond what went down when he moved on and also to recognize his contributions to the team over many years.

I`d be interested to know what his plans are now, maybe there is a place for him somewhere in the organization (i.e. scout)

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Subban's career dropped steadily off the face of the earth for what now? 3 seasons or so...

Markov been gone 3 seasons now... Coincidence?

Let's face it, Markovs been our best defenseman since arguably Desjardins in 94.

If Habs have to retire a jersey of the newer players, then Markov and Koivu are the only options.

Guy was fantastic for us before and after 2 big knee injuries!

Would love to have him back in some capacity.

Special teams coach or something.

I have his Jersey and keep wearing it proudly! And most importantly can still wear it with pride because he was a Habs lifer.

So Subban 59 pts in 82 games in Nashville is all Markov?

Subban is the best habs defenseman from the last 20 years and Markov is the greatest.

Everybody is happy.

Reactions: groovejuice

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
He was earning close to 6 million per year on his prior contract when the cap was lower than it is now.

If any other GM offered a two year guaranteed deal to a (let's be honest) declining 39 year old D-man for close to that amount what would you all say?
At worst I bet Andrei Markov would have still been in the NHL by year two, which is more than we can say for the player they signed instead.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Alzner, Streit, Benn......the list is an impressive one...

That's where the problem lies. It isn't so much losing Markov. It's more about the replacements were a big drop in quality.

I'd add Schlemko too as they traded for him after the expansion draft that off-season.

I wouldn't add Benn as he was acquired before Markov left. And he was a 3rd pairing guy.

And I wouldn't add Alzner because even though Habs signed him on July 1st, Montreal was still negotiating with Markov. So the goal wasn't to have one OR the other. They were trying to have both.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Still don't know how that 2017 offseason wasn't a fireable offence. Letting a franchise legend walk to overpay a 3rd pair guy who became an AHLer a year later.
In one summer we lost Markov, Radulov and one of the best young D prospects in the world and our fearless leader (a true hockey man by his own accounts lol) proclaimed that our D was better! Ask yourself, are we missing the playoffs for the next 4 years if we kept Rads and kept the General as a mentor to Serg for 2 years? A role that Markov was great at with Subban, Komisarek and others. Look how the Bruins have handled Chara and look at how our village idiot handled Markov and look at where both organizations currently sit. It was a "hold my beer" summer for our disaster artist GM!

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
As much as I loved Subban, at this point it's clear Markov was the most important defenseman the Habs had since the early 90s. It's a shame we didn't get more time seeing Subban and Markov, or Weber and Markov together.

Even though I was always a fan I don't think I ever appreciated him enough until the years he was out injured, and even more so now.

Great career and the bright side to the disgraceful way Bergevin treated him at the end was that his first year back in Russia he played at an all star level and got to win the Gagarin Cup. It's a shame he didn't get to see any real success, although at least he played a role in most of the better seasons in the last two decades.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
As much as I loved Subban, at this point it's clear Markov was the most important defenseman the Habs had since the early 90s. It's a shame we didn't get more time seeing Subban and Markov, or Weber and Markov together.

Even though I was always a fan I don't think I ever appreciated him enough until the years he was out injured, and even more so now.

Great career and the bright side to the disgraceful way Bergevin treated him at the end was that his first year back in Russia he played at an all star level and got to win the Gagarin Cup. It's a shame he didn't get to see any real success, although at least he played a role in most of the better seasons in the last two decades.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
People love to bash Bergevin and Molson on the topic, but if Markov really wanted to be back three years ago he would've.It was his decision in the end and he decided not to sign the contract offered.There were years he was underpaid and years he was grossly overpaid especially after his injuries. So the habs were always fair to him and he loved being here and was a great defenseman for us and one of the best of all time in hab's history.It takes two to tango in the end.Wouldv've loved to see him get his 1000 games and pass Lapointe but it wasn't meant to be. He could've signed for one year and took it from there.

Bergevin had made an offer to Markov that would’ve allowed him to make his desired salary through performance bonuses once he had come off his demand for a two-year contract and was willing to sign for only one year.

“Yes, there were bonuses,” Markov confirmed. “But it wasn’t a question of money, it was a question of the way it was presented to me. We didn’t even talk. I didn’t like the way they made their offer. There were no discussions. Just an offer made and that’s it.”

Reactions: Vachon23

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I've thought about this Markov and Bozovin situation and maybe it's because I'm getting older and sentimental, but my conclusion is that hockey, especially in Montreal, is not just a business and so it shouldn't be. You can't treat it like auto manufacturing. Sometimes, management has to make decisions that are above dollars and cents because their are other considerations like loyalty, legacy, fandom, and other things. I'm not talking about bankrupting the team or its future but sometimes, in cases like Markov, stretch a little and sign him so he can get to 1000. Im sure Markov if he felt he was hurting the team would have gracefully bowed out. He had class.

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
All else aside I would really have liked to see Markov play 1000 games with the Habs and retire as a Hab. But then I would really have liked Roy, Carbo, Koivu, Naslund and Lafleur to retire as career Habs. With regards to "sentiment", I think it's a natural element of being a fan.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Max2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad