Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
sNTJwQR.jpg

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
Following the habs since 1984. He's my favorite habs of all time - I guess this would have turned out to be Chelios in a world without the trade.

As for the lengthy discussion about what happened in the contract discussion, the truth is nobody really knows. But based on actual results, I have no doubts who the professional is between Markov and Bergevin.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
People love to bash Bergevin and Molson on the topic, but if Markov really wanted to be back three years ago he would've.It was his decision in the end and he decided not to sign the contract offered.There were years he was underpaid and years he was grossly overpaid especially after his injuries. So the habs were always fair to him and he loved being here and was a great defenseman for us and one of the best of all time in hab's history.It takes two to tango in the end.Wouldv've loved to see him get his 1000 games and pass Lapointe but it wasn't meant to be. He could've signed for one year and took it from there.

Bergevin had made an offer to Markov that would’ve allowed him to make his desired salary through performance bonuses once he had come off his demand for a two-year contract and was willing to sign for only one year.

“Yes, there were bonuses,” Markov confirmed. “But it wasn’t a question of money, it was a question of the way it was presented to me. We didn’t even talk. I didn’t like the way they made their offer. There were no discussions. Just an offer made and that’s it.”

Markov was never overpaid by the Habs. Not even close.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
EASILY one of the best and my favorite players to dress in a Habs jersey since I became a fan in 2008.

Thank you general!

I hope they bring him into the organization as a defense or PP coach, even if it's for the farm team to begin with.

andrei-markov-during-a-2016-2017-nhl-regular-season-game.png

Reactions: Habs10Habs

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
What I remember is he didn't want to take a pay cut as he had done hometown discount deals for the habs for many years, and instead of just offering it straight up Bergevin offered a contract full of performance bonuses that could bring him to that but it was not guaranteed, so he decided to leave.

No he hadn’t. He had good contracts following two knee surgeries. Habs treated him well.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad