Player Discussion Andrei Markov (Re-sign or Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Right now I don't see who on the backend could step up and surprise to be a 20 minute defender that is solid on the PP, level headed with the puck and is as effective at moving it up the ice. The one guy that might have been able to was traded for Drouin.

You are asking for somebody to be a high end #3 with your definition. And really, I wouldnt expect that out of even Sergachev next season. Drouin will run PP1 from the point. Maybe Streit/Jerabek and Petry form a decent 2nd wave.

As for somebody stepping up into a #4 role that can play 20 minutes and check a couple of your boxes, I think it's possible, but I don't like the uncertainly around it. Will somebody meet all your criteria? Not very likely but I also don't think we need somebody to meet all of them. We do need a #2 but...

At this point getting a true #2 is not likely so it's going to be Alzner most of the time. Hopefully somebody can develop into a strong #4 to mitigate the damage of Alzner moving up.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not likely. As of today Alzner - Weber will be the most common pairing. Perry will get a heavy rotation of bottom pairing d-men. Maybe Jerabek and Streit will get some offensive zone draws with Weber if we are down a goal.

Unless Jerabek really surprises.

Who is Perry?

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
A trade is happening!!!!!!

I don't know though,

I just don't get it.. with 8.5 million in cap space, why public say Markov not coming back? Unless you have a trade on stand by that will take up the cap? Why not just leave the door open until something happens.

Puzzled.. but then again, its Bargain Bin

#firebergevin2017

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I don't know though,

I just don't get it.. with 8.5 million in cap space, why public say Markov not coming back? Unless you have a trade on stand by that will take up the cap? Why not just leave the door open until something happens.

#firebergevin2017

I thought it was, like, Markov calling the presser...

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
Today is a rly sad day for all Habs fans.
Markov should've played his entire NHL career with the Habs and retired a Hab. Good luck General in your new adventure.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

I don't know though,

#firebergevin2017

Because Markov has a press conference today to announce something. PR is just getting ahead of it. Probably don't want speculation his conference is a team announcement of his return. In all liklihood it's Russia since we haven't heard anything from any other NHL clubs.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Because Markov has a press conference today to announce something. PR is just getting ahead of it. Probably don't want speculation his conference is a team announcement of his return. In all liklihood it's Russia since we haven't heard anything from any other NHL clubs.

Isnt it weird, he became a Canadian citizen in 2010, one would think Canada is his home, unlike other Russian players who go "back home" to Russia. Guessing he just didnt want to budge from his 6M.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You are asking for somebody to be a high end #3 with your definition. And really, I wouldnt expect that out of even Sergachev next season. Drouin will run PP1 from the point. Maybe Streit/Jerabek and Petry form a decent 2nd wave.

As for somebody stepping up into a #4 role that can play 20 minutes and check a couple of your boxes, I think it's possible, but I don't like the uncertainly around it. Will somebody meet all your criteria? Not very likely but I also don't think we need somebody to meet all of them. We do need a #2 but...

At this point getting a true #2 is not likely so it's going to be Alzner most of the time. Hopefully somebody can develop into a strong #4 to mitigate the damage of Alzner moving up.

Sergachev might not have been it right away but he was the only guy in the pipeline even close to being able to do it at the NHL level.

I also am not a fan of seeing a forward on the point during the PP.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Cue "journalists" spreading rumours of Markov's "off-ice issues" any minute now.

Habs world is closer to Soviet-era Romania than anything else. The one in power is always right.

I've already seen a post here from a Habs fan saying Markov was never elite or top 20 at his position. That fan probably turned on Subban soon after he was traded as well.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Still wonder how the heck giving a 2-year contract to a guy with those stats would be so much of a problem...Bergevin did WAY many more mistakes than this...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Now that Markov is not coming back.

Trading Sergachev for another winger (as good as he may be) was dumb.
Trading Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick was even more dumb.
Signing Streit and Hemsky to replace Markov and Radulov was dumb.

Terrible asset management.

We had two problem last year.....and he the made the whole thing worst.
Now it's time to fire Bergevin before he make things even worst.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I've already seen a post here from a Habs fan saying Markov was never elite or top 20 at his position. That fan probably turned on Subban soon after he was traded as well.

lol Markov has 3 top 15 in norris voting despite missing 2 prime years seasons because of injuries ;) He finished 6th twice. If this is not elite i don't know what is.

Some fans ...

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Sergachev might not have been it right away but he was the only guy in the pipeline even close to being able to do it at the NHL level.

I also am not a fan of seeing a forward on the point during the PP.

There was some stats out there from a few years ago that was very favourable to 4f 1D PP. I'm not opposed to seeing how it goes.

I was dreaming for a second that we found some unknown good dman named Perry and I had not heard of it :sarcasm:

Corey Perry to our rescue :sarcasm:

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Isnt it weird, he became a Canadian citizen in 2010, one would think Canada is his home, unlike other Russian players who go "back home" to Russia. Guessing he just didnt want to budge from his 6M.

I wouldn't be shocked if his second year demand was over the Olympics. Like if I'm going to miss the Olympics than I want guaranteed dollars.

I wonder if he signs a 1Y deal for big dollars in Russia and returns?

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Looks like the Russian experiment in Montreal is over..........we are trading for signing and drafting all NA players and the odd Finn.
Nothing wrong with that.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Now that Markov is not coming back.

Trading Sergachev for another winger (as good as he may be) was dumb.
Trading Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick was even more dumb.
Signing Streit and Hemsky to replace Markov and Radulov was dumb.

Sergachev was never going to be a short term Markov replacement. Most likely 2-3 years away.

Beaulieu was barely a #4.

Streit and Hemsky are not replacements.

Sucks losing Markov. We are much worse off today than I expected. But none of those moves changes where we would be this year.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Looks like the Russian experiment in Montreal is over..........we are trading for signing and drafting all NA players and the odd Finn.
Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with that...except we now have more holes to fill with none of the existing ones filled...

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
seems weird to close the door lile that... why not keep the door open until the end ?

I just don't get it either. Why in hell's name would you close the door on him like that? No one was offering anything close to what Markov was asking for so there would have been a chance for him to lower his requests and come back to Montreal. Did MB give another ultimatum again? "Sign our offer by July 26 else the offer is off the table and you are gone"??

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Did the same thing happen with Alferdsson? He left Ottawa and signed somewhere else right? Did the Sens and Alfie hold a conference call before he signed with the other team? I am having a hard time remembering.

It makes no sense why they would have a conference call and then Markov signs with another team on July 28th. Seems really odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad