Player Discussion Andrei Markov (Re-sign or Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Markov has a couple of good years left in the tank. Chara is almost 40 and still playing effectively. Lidstrom played until he was 42.

Markov has averaged 45.6 points per season over the past 3 years. He has yet to play 1,000 games so he has mileage left. 2 year extension!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
1 year deals only going forward is my preference

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I'd prefer a one year deal too, NMC. But I'd be willing to give two if that's the difference between Markov and no Markov. NMC there also.

Strictly nothing longer than that unless he takes a bat**** paycut and he takes like 2M a year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Same as the rest is you though I think it'll be more than $3M per to have him. He's still very useful on the 2nd pairing and a 30-40 point threat every year.

Probably 2 year $7.5-$8M is what I can see happeneing. Maybe more if he has a great year with Petry and less ice time.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
1 year deals only, take it 1 season at a time

That would be my approach as well. When it comes to players in their high thirties it's never wise to give too much term because every coming season a drop off in play should be somewhat expected (although there are exceptions). If Markov was willing to take a low amount of money like 3M I would commit to a 2 year. 2 years is the longest he get.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
If he plays like last year he will get atleast $5m. Contrary to popular belief around here, he's still playing like a top defenseman. 10-15 games during the month of December doesn't change that. He was actually stepping up his game when Subban got injured and not running out of gas like everyone expected.

He will get 1 year $5m, I wouldn't be afraid to give him a 2 year contract if we can get him for a lower cap hit.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I agree with 2 years 8M.

If he feels he can still play (and we agree with him) then I don't want him to play for any other team to end his career. He was a real star on this team when we sucked in the early and mid 00s and he deserves to get his chance with us until he retires.

I think MTL will do right by him.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Absolutely not, he gets beat by anyone one on one. Have already seen it several times in the WHC. He's still a great passer though. I wouldn't have signed him to his last contract. I'd never sign a dman over 35.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
2, 8 mil sounds fair depending how he does this season. He needs to take a step back IMO. If the second pairing was Petry-Markov and the first was Weber-top 2 we'd be in great shape.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Absolutely. I don't disagree with the idea of going with one year deals on paper but I feel if we can save 1M on AAV by offering him that extra year, it'd be worth it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With his knee and age, you have to assume we wouldn't take one year deals easily as the risk is too big. We have no one ready to replace him off the bat and he and his agent will know that.

After the expansion draft, assuming his regular great-but-not-elite performance, I'd offer a bumper deal at the same salary for one year and see what he does. If he wants two years he'll have to come down to 3.5-4.5m as the risk is rather big for us and we have a lot of cap tied up and big players who need to be re-signed.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
With his knee and age, you have to assume we wouldn't take one year deals easily as the risk is too big. We have no one ready to replace him off the bat and he and his agent will know that.

After the expansion draft, assuming his regular great-but-not-elite performance, I'd offer a bumper deal at the same salary for one year and see what he does. If he wants two years he'll have to come down to 3.5-4.5m as the risk is rather big for us and we have a lot of cap tied up and big players who need to be re-signed.

I agree with that premise. But I think Markov has proven that the concerns for his knee is now a thing of the past. He hasn't missed any games due to injury since coming back. I think a deal in the 3.5-4.5M is fair for both sides.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
No problem with giving him a two year deal if he looks good this coming season.

Marky has always given a hometown discount and it won't be any different now. 2yrs/4m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad