Andrei Kostitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hickory

Squeaky said:
I really couldn't care less about his icetime, there are reasons why he hasn't been getting a ton, but they all boil down to him not being good enough to earn it. What is the actual difference between saying "if he was good enough, he'd be on the top line" and "he's just been having a hard time to adapt to life in NA"? They both mean that he's not currently a top line player in Hamilton. That's not a debate, that's vigorous concurrence.
That was exactly my point! Thank you
:bow: :bow:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
kingsjohn said:
That was exactly my point! Thank you
:bow: :bow:

I think most understood your point of view, the problem lies in what Squeaky wrote...he said that Kostitsyn is not good enough to earn more icetime, that's his quote, that statement is not accurate, skill wise, Kostitsyn at 20yrs old, is already the most skilled player in Hamilton, I don't think it's a question of him not being good enough to earn icetime, I think it's a question of Kostitsyn not having a complete understanding of what the coaches want him to do, trust me, he's good enough to play on the top lines right now, he's just simply not ready yet, that doesn't mean he's not good, it means that he's 20 yrs old and still learning, he wasn't a finished product when he was drafted, he's come a long ways, but obviously still has alot to learn, but that doesn't take away from his potential, cause the skill is definately there...

Sorry, don't want to start all over here, i've understood what you've been trying to say all along, and I agree in part with what you say, just not everything...

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
417 TO MTL said:
I think most understood your point of view, the problem lies in what Squeaky wrote...he said that Kostitsyn is not good enough to earn more icetime, that's his quote, that statement is not accurate, skill wise, Kostitsyn at 20yrs old, is already the most skilled player in Hamilton, I don't think it's a question of him not being good enough to earn icetime, I think it's a question of Kostitsyn not having a complete understanding of what the coaches want him to do, trust me, he's good enough to play on the top lines right now, he's just simply not ready yet, that doesn't mean he's not good, it means that he's 20 yrs old and still learning, he wasn't a finished product when he was drafted, he's come a long ways, but obviously still has alot to learn, but that doesn't take away from his potential, cause the skill is definately there...

Sorry, don't want to start all over here, i've understood what you've been trying to say all along, and I agree in part with what you say, just not everything...

You're confusing not being good enough now with not having the capacity to be good enough later. You said "not ready yet" where I said "not good enough". In what way is he not ready yet? Is his defensive game lacking? Does he not use his teamates enough? Does he not understand the NA game well enough? Those are all reasons why today he simply is not good enough to play on the top line in Hamilton. If you disagree with "he's not good enough to play on the top line" then you really ought to believe that he shoulds be playing on the top line right now.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kostitsyn played a grand total of 11 games against decent competition (RSL) last year. It's normal for to take more time to adjust to the NA game, considering how little he's played in the past.

Next year will be the year that will determine if he's got the stuff or not. We really can't judge him until then IMO.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Squeaky said:
You're confusing not being good enough now with not having the capacity to be good enough later. You said "not ready yet" where I said "not good enough". In what way is he not ready yet? Is his defensive game lacking? Does he not use his teamates enough? Does he not understand the NA game well enough? Those are all reasons why today he simply is not good enough to play on the top line in Hamilton. If you disagree with "he's not good enough to play on the top line" then you really ought to believe that he shoulds be playing on the top line right now.

I think essentially, were talking about the same thing, just wording it differently...I agree with you, if that's what your saying, that today as we speak, he's not good enough to play on one of the top lines, but saying simply, "he's not good enough", makes people assume your trying to say that he's not capable of that now or in the future...

I think kostitsyn isin't good enough to play on the top lines right now because his game is still raw, he still needs work on his play w/o the puck and although he's improved a great deal, he still needs work defensively, once he's improved enough in those areas, he'll get the minutes he needs to produce, right now he's producing at a decent pace if you consider the amount of icetime he receives...

I think that if Kostitsyn was drafted by another team, he might of been handled differently, and he'd most likely have alot more points than he does right now, but i'm happy they're teaching him all aspects of the game instead of letting him run loose a la Pavel Bure without a conscience for the defensive aspect of the game

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jacobv2 said:
Yeah, you wouldn't want him to be Pavel Bure.

Nothing against the player Pavel Bure was, he was great, but players that are one dimensional, aren't really effective anymore

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
417 TO MTL said:
I think essentially, were talking about the same thing, just wording it differently...I agree with you, if that's what your saying, that today as we speak, he's not good enough to play on one of the top lines, but saying simply, "he's not good enough", makes people assume your trying to say that he's not capable of that now or in the future...

I think kostitsyn isin't good enough to play on the top lines right now because his game is still raw, he still needs work on his play w/o the puck and although he's improved a great deal, he still needs work defensively, once he's improved enough in those areas, he'll get the minutes he needs to produce, right now he's producing at a decent pace if you consider the amount of icetime he receives...

I think that if Kostitsyn was drafted by another team, he might of been handled differently, and he'd most likely have alot more points than he does right now, but i'm happy they're teaching him all aspects of the game instead of letting him run loose a la Pavel Bure without a conscience for the defensive aspect of the game

Yeah, this is what I mean by vigorously concurring. Everyone in this thread is saying pretty much the same thing, but with different language.

leafaholix*

417 TO MTL said:
Nothing against the player Pavel Bure was, he was great, but players that are one dimensional, aren't really effective anymore
Ilja Kovalchuk isn't effective?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
gars59 said:
kostitsyn is a goal scorer ... if he had the number of shoot of dustin brown he can put 30 goal this season ...
Well he needs to get into better shooting position then, huh.

Are you questioning his offensive hockey sense? Because that's the way I could spin it.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wish you guys would stop making threads about Andrei, Your just giving the bashers ammo, if you feel you must make a post. Keep it on our board, at least there we can (for the most part) talk about our prospects in peace without countless trolls bashing a *Kid* (hes only 20 years old, give him a break already)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Rydified said:
I wish you guys would stop making threads about Andrei, Your just giving the bashers ammo, if you feel you must make a post. Keep it on our board, at least there we can (for the most part) talk about our prospects in peace without countless trolls bashing a *Kid* (hes only 20 years old, give him a break already)

And yet, the kid was not bashed and most if not all people involved were rather polite and nice.

If you think someone trolled, use the report function. If you think inaccurate observations were shared, reply back and share your thoughts.

But if you just have a problem with anything less than undeserved glowing praises for your boy, than you should probably follow your advice and not frequent the general forums.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Vlad The Impaler said:
And yet, the kid was not bashed and most if not all people involved were rather polite and nice.

If you think someone trolled, use the report function. If you think inaccurate observations were shared, reply back and share your thoughts.

But if you just have a problem with anything less than undeserved glowing praises for your boy, than you should probably follow your advice and not frequent the general forums.

Ok i'd like you to re-read my post, this time try to do it while keeping in mind that it was not posted in anger, rather in exhaustion and frusteration over the copius amounts of threads my fellow hab fans create over Andrei. I was not trying to imply anyone specific trolled rather prevent future trolling as 9 times out of 10 the past will repeat itself.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reguarding Andrei, all I have to say is he is progressing exactly the way I would expect one of our (highly toted) prospects to develop.

When he came over, there was no question about his ability to put the puck in the net, nor a question about his passing vision.

The big question that everyone had is how horrible his defensive game was. Jarvis has put alot of effort (and i can attest to this) into developing him in his own end.

Kostitsyn has gone leaps and bounds in his own end (to the point where he is starting to see Pkill time)

I was in edmonton for Hamiltons first game of the season. Naturally i was watching Andrei very closely (watching him score on his first shot was pretty amazing in itself). What I noticed more then anything is after EVERY shift every time Kostitsyn put his blade on the ice, Jarvis was behind him coaching him.

I am quite excited and anxious to see what the future holds for "our glowing boy"

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Vlad The Impaler said:
I don't know about the other poster, but I do.

Hey Vlad, about his hockey sense, I think you see an issue with his hockey sense, but I don't, I think you can attribute it to inexperience, from what i've seen from Kostitsyn, he has very good hockey sense, I remember a play vs. the roadrunners I think, where kostitsyn took the puck just outside their blueline, as he entered the offensive zone, two opposing players were heading in his direction to neutralize him, Kostitsyn, who was in the middle of the ice just inside the blueline, banked the puck off the sideboards, retrieved it and left both players from the roadrunners wondering where the hell he went...only players who think a step ahead (hockey sense) make plays like that...

To me, Kostitsyn has the whole package, he can skate, he can definately shoot as evidenced by his 100mph shot in the teams skills competition, he can pass, he's got the whole physical package to take the abuse that will come in the NHL, he's got the willingless to get better, when he was drafted he was about 6'0 and 185lbs, he showed up at camp 6'1 and 208lbs, the only things holding him back right now, is his below average defensive game, and his inexperience, both of those he can work on...I'm not saying he's the next mega star, but he's going to be a very good player for the habs, the type of player they've lacked since the 70's...

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I both agree and disagree with him having problems with hockeys sense. I agree that his hockey sense isn't great right now, but I view it more as a learning curve, than a personal shortcoming. When I watch him play, there are two ways in which I think he could be smarter on the ice. No wait, three. In his own end, he needs work. Nobody will deny that, and his defensive hockey sense isn't great. Anyways, the two things: First, is that he doesn't always use his teamates like he should. He's from Belarus, he's used to being his whole team. From when I saw him live earlier in the year, it looked like he was trying quite hard to work on that, and I think he has been making progress. The other thing is he sometimes makes european decisions in the offensive zone. What I mean by that, is every now and then I see him make some great pass to a guy when the other guy isn't looking for it, or when the other guy isn't in a useful position. Like he'll hit guys who are at a really sharp angle to the net, or guys who get the pass, but then get checked right away, which doesn't lead to good plays. I figure this is because in European style hockey, the checking is a little looser, so people whould usually have a little more time to do things with the puck once they get it. I think this is just part of adapting to the North American game, and hopefully it's something he'll figure out this season or next.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
below average defensive game, and his inexperience

Right now, he's at least average with his defensive game. He's ready to put everything together but the thing is he have to earn more ice time. In other words, he will have to wait for the next season because the Bulldogs are looking to grad the last playoff spot so the lines will not change...

the type of player they've lacked since the 70's...

Well, Montreal had some damn good player after the 70's. Kostitsyn will never ne as good as Lafleur ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Right now, he's at least average with his defensive game. He's ready to put everything together but the thing is he have to earn more ice time. In other words, he will have to wait for the next season because the Bulldogs are looking to grad the last playoff spot so the lines will not change...

Well, Montreal had some damn good player after the 70's. Kostitsyn will never ne as good as Lafleur ;)

Well I know they've had good players, i was just saying that they've lacked that "gamebreaker" type of player, and I never compared, or would even dream of comparing him to Lafleur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad