Andreas Martinsen Thread aka The Norwegian Poster Containment camp

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
forgive the ignorance, and maybe lazy too today... what is population of Norway?
Seems to be a rather low pop level vis-a-vis the rest of Europe , no?

ok I was self-shamed to look it up!
5 mil

Yup. Population-wise no reason why we shouldn't be producing players at the same rate as Finland (clocking in at 5.4) or half of Sweden (9.8 mil.).

Last edited:

anofsti

May 14, 2011
I'm about to study abroad in Norway and from what I've gathered, hockey isn't very big there. This strikes me as odd considering it's a popular winter sport and is extremely popular in Sweden. Any ideas as to why it's never really caught on over there?

It is the second most popular spectator sport in pure attendance numbers, but the biggest issue is that it's pretty regional. In the cities with good teams, they regularly have an attendance above 2000 each game, and the average across the league is just shy of 1900 each game (that includes a team with an arena that seats 753 people).

So, if you're going to Oslo, Hamar, Sarpsborg or Stavanger, you'll find a thriving hockey community - You'll find it in Trondheim too, where Martinsen is from, despite their club playing 3. tier at the moment after the elite club went bankrupt (again), and them being geographically far away from the "hockey hub" in the south east. Their U15 club is currently the best in Norway, and can go toe-to-toe with the best clubs in Sweden and Finland too.

If you go further north, it's a hockey dead zone until you reach Tromsø and Narvik in the far north.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You guys must be excited for Emilio Pettersen, no? He's supposed to play at University of Denver, although I'm not sure how much I believe it but we can be the home or Norwegian hockey here in Colorado!

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
You guys must be excited for Emilio Pettersen, no? He's supposed to play at University of Denver, although I'm not sure how much I believe it but we can be the home or Norwegian hockey here in Colorado!
Yes. that's a real talent. :)
http://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/595283?referrer_id=1197335

The Omaha Lancers, members of the United States Hockey League announced today they have signed forward Emilio Pettersen to a tender for the 2016-2017 season. Pettersen is the first player to sign a tender with a USHL team this season. Eight players in total signed tender contracts last season.

The 15-year-old is currently committed to the University of Denver.

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
It's bordering on 50 years since they found oil, so I'm unsure how much we can blame this one, that's long enough to build a culture :)

Not to turn this into a Norwegian economy debate :D but yes, it's a long time since they oil was discovered, but people's disposable income didn't shoot up immediately. Could be I just grew up in a different home though, and my people were closer to an Amish lifestyle than average :laugh:
If I had asked my parents for hockey gear in say.. 1990 though, they'd have gone "lolwut?" at me, regardless of our ****** winters.

It's been a while since 1990 too, but it takes time to build a culture. Especially when you have sports that are both well established and much cheaper to gear up for.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Where is that .gif of Martinsen being congratulated instead of Iginla? I found the original post in the Blues thread, but it seems like its gone.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think he's really struggled the last week with turnovers and bad play with the puck, so it was nice to see him hit someone.

Turnovers are a fair gripe, but he hasn't been bad with the puck. He's just been misreading the play with his new linemates, so he has been picking the wrong passes.

This guy is decent, he was a good signing. Better than Everberg.

I wish he had EVB's defensive game n he could kill penalties.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Turnovers are a fair gripe, but he hasn't been bad with the puck. He's just been misreading the play with his new linemates, so he has been picking the wrong passes.
That's being bad with the puck. He had several turnovers in the first period last night, a few in particular that stood out. He had Iginla streaking down the weak, and he floated a soft backhander up the middle of the ice that got picked off by the Devils easily. Then the 2 on 1 with Comeau, the pass wasn't even close, and he shouldn't have tried to force it in the first place. That's not misreading as much as it is poor decision making.

Last night was the first game he's been physical in a week, so I hope he continues that, because that's where he'll provide value. He was playing really well before that so I'm hopeful he'll get that back.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's being bad with the puck. He had several turnovers in the first period last night, a few in particular that stood out. He had Iginla streaking down the weak, and he floated a soft backhander up the middle of the ice that got picked off by the Devils easily. Then the 2 on 1 with Comeau, the pass wasn't even close, and he shouldn't have tried to force it in the first place. That's not misreading as much as it is poor decision making.

Last night was the first game he's been physical in a week, so I hope he continues that, because that's where he'll provide value. He was playing really well before that so I'm hopeful he'll get that back.

If your including his passing then fair enough, but he's been holding onto the puck much better after winning it, and has done a better job settling down loose pucks in traffic. If he starts getting passes to were they need to be, he'll be a fine bottom 6er offensively, even without the physical element to his game. Plus he had that nice bad-angle shot he tried to catch Schneider with up high. If he ever learns to defend and kill penalties he'll be a great cody replacement.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Seems he needs consistency more than anything so he can figure out how to settle in and be physical and then I think as someone pointed out then he seems to relax a bit as his skill comes out.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
Several reasons. One would be that much of Norway is coastal, and the gulf stream ruins our winters. Where I live, I get maybe a few days of outdoors ice in the average year. This means rinks would have to be built to foster interest, but you don't build rinks if there isn't already interest.

Aside from the rink building cost, there's also the personal equipment cost. Most Norwegians only became somewhat wealthy not that long ago, so there's a high threshold to trying it out.

Image-wise it's also not helped by fighting, though that may have been more of a problem before, when it was more prominent in the NHL and UFC wasn't a thing yet.

The thing is that the interest is there. It is that simple. Skiing get so much of the funding and last year we built no rinks at all.Hard to play a sport when there is no rink to play at. Media plays a big role in brainwashing the people that cross counrtry skiing as a big sport, but it isn`t. We are almost the only ones that have interst in it

anofsti

May 14, 2011
The thing is that the interest is there. It is that simple. Skiing get so much of the funding and last year we built no rinks at all.Hard to play a sport when there is no rink to play at. Media plays a big role in brainwashing the people that cross counrtry skiing as a big sport, but it isn`t. We are almost the only ones that have interst in it

The interest isn't there unless there are a rink nearby. There are ski tracks all over Norway, but ice rinks in only a few regions, even if they are the ones most densely populated.

Botta

Jul 12, 2010
The interest isn't there unless there are a rink nearby. There are ski tracks all over Norway, but ice rinks in only a few regions, even if they are the ones most densely populated.

Ok. Let`s put it this way.The potential for interest is there:)
The will to build rinks is by no means there:shakehead

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What do you guys need rinks for? Is it not cold enough there for the ponds and lakes to freeze over?

anofsti

May 14, 2011
The gulf stream makes sure we don't, unfortunatly. The ice season lasts between three months and three weeks, depending on where. Some places in Norway, like the south west coast only have cold enough weather for natural ice once every five years or so. The inlands and far north have more stable weather because they are protected from the warm winds from the atlantic, and gets more wind coming in from Siberia, that's why Sweden and Finland are hockey nations.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
On the other hand, the gulf stream prevents our climate being like it is in Nunavut, and that's nice I guess.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He's really hit a wall recently. Not much else other than the big hits. His lack of NHL talent is very clear now. Hope he finds a way to elevate his game and contribute a bit more, because he looks destined to head back down soon.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's really hit a wall recently. Not much else other than the big hits. His lack of NHL talent is very clear now. Hope he finds a way to elevate his game and contribute a bit more, because he looks destined to head back down soon.

His lack of talent was from the first game, it was just hidden because he is an absolute monster when it comes to hitting. I am still a big fan of him. I understand he's already 25 so he probably won't grow into a David Backes, but I do think he can become better with more NHL/AHL experience. Him scoring 41 points in 50 DEL games as a 24 year old isn't that big of a fluke, its a pretty good league. I think he has much more to show in terms of his puck skills, but that will come with time and experience IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00