Andreas Martinsen Thread aka The Norwegian Poster Containment camp

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Sorry for the low content OP - but I know me and my fellow Norwegians like to keep tabs on the few players we have in the NHL, and at least I don't want to spam the GDTs asking how he has played

Is anyone as suprised as me that he actually stuck in the line up, and also seems to be playing rather well? I love the guy, but I never thought he was an NHL caliber player. I haven't been able to see that many games, but he seems like he's been doing all right.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
He's a huge hitter, looks to be alright at fighting due to his size, and makes the occasional nice pass. He knows how to stay within his limits. With more development, he could develop into a great third liner.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Martinsen been good at setting the tone physically, he's getting better at reading the game and getting stronger on the puck. I didn't like him with Duchene as much tonight, he was better on that line with Soderberg but Roy seems to love him and will find a spot for him in the lineup. I agree that he knows how to keep it simple and doesn't try to do too much. I think most are pleasantly surprised at what he's done thus far. I have no idea how they projected him into the lineup from seeing him in Europe. I mean, there's other big players to choose from.

Night owl

Jan 10, 2011
Norwegian mountains
I have seen most of Martinsen's games ( including one pre season game) and I think his puck handling skills has improved in the last games. He has really surprised me in a positive way so far ( love those potential game changing hits....) and I think it's because he is better suited for the smaller rinks and a more physical games in the NHL.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Happy for him that he has seemingly stuck it out in the NHL this far. Very important for the development of Norwegian hockey that we get more players playing at the highest level.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I love Martinsens physical play, unafraid and a great hitter, entertaining guy.

He gots tons of respect from me fighting mean tough veterans like Downie and Neil and doing very well.

Hopefully he will be able to contribute more than just delivering hits, producing some points as well.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
He's been a different player since Roy scratched him for a stretch of games. He's been consistent in using his size and strength to his advantage. Hope he keeps it up.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's been playing very well, I would have never predicted that he would have a regular spot on the team, but he's definitely contributing a lot this season. Maybe not in the numbers department, those are pretty modest, but he's working great as a mix-it-up, net driving presence. It's not that he's scoring or making pretty plays, but his outsize physical presence definitely opens up the ice for his linemates, whoever they are.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Martinsen has been told by the team to look for an apartment according to Norwegian News

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Hes going to be known around the league after he knocks someone out.

Literally. I think it will happen sooner or later. His hits are just too frequent and massive for it not to happen eventually.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This may just be cause it's nice to see guys make the jump from the DEL to the NHL; but I think Biffkaka's hands/puck-skills have been taken a step for the better in the past week or two. He's obviously still not hammering in all of the dirty goals he did last year in Dusseldorf; but he's holding onto the puck much better and has made a handful of passes that should've resulted in primary-assists.

As for the rest of his game I love what he brings physically & against the puck, plus his skating seems to be much better than what my uncle (huge Berliner Eisbaren fan) told me to expect; so I hope he can establish himself as a fighter & replace McCleod by the end of Cody's current contract.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I like him on the fourth line with fill-in duty on the third. His skills have improved since training camp, but he's still limited in what he can and should be doing on the ice.

I love the way he goes to the net and also the way he lays into people along the boards. Definitely makes players wary or holding the puck for too long when he's forechecking.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
I figured it was for the pictures of hunky Norwegian boys.

1732798.jpg

:dainty:

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I'm about to study abroad in Norway and from what I've gathered, hockey isn't very big there. This strikes me as odd considering it's a popular winter sport and is extremely popular in Sweden. Any ideas as to why it's never really caught on over there?

Lucky you… I lived in Stavanger for 4 years - best time of my life.

Most people are very outdoor-sy and cross country skiing is huge during the winter. Soccer is the most popular sport overall.

When I first moved there…

Mom: How do you like it?
Me: Love it. Everyone here is an alcoholic
Mom: You fit right in, don't you?
Me: Thanks mom

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Martinsen with a very good game against the Kings. Drop pass to Barrie to set up the GWG, and a few minutes later he beelined one to MacKinnon across the zone for a chance. I hope he keeps up the work in the passing department.

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
I'm about to study abroad in Norway and from what I've gathered, hockey isn't very big there. This strikes me as odd considering it's a popular winter sport and is extremely popular in Sweden. Any ideas as to why it's never really caught on over there?

Several reasons. One would be that much of Norway is coastal, and the gulf stream ruins our winters. Where I live, I get maybe a few days of outdoors ice in the average year. This means rinks would have to be built to foster interest, but you don't build rinks if there isn't already interest.

Aside from the rink building cost, there's also the personal equipment cost. Most Norwegians only became somewhat wealthy not that long ago, so there's a high threshold to trying it out.

Image-wise it's also not helped by fighting, though that may have been more of a problem before, when it was more prominent in the NHL and UFC wasn't a thing yet.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Several reasons. One would be that much of Norway is coastal, and the gulf stream ruins our winters. Where I live, I get maybe a few days of outdoors ice in the average year. This means rinks would have to be built to foster interest, but you don't build rinks if there isn't already interest.

Aside from the rink building cost, there's also the personal equipment cost. Most Norwegians only became somewhat wealthy not that long ago, so there's a high threshold to trying it out.

Image-wise it's also not helped by fighting, though that may have been more of a problem before, when it was more prominent in the NHL and UFC wasn't a thing yet.

It's bordering on 50 years since they found oil, so I'm unsure how much we can blame this one, that's long enough to build a culture :)

I agree on the other reasons. Wet winters on much of coastal Norway, and many of the places that is cold enough for pond hockey are often simply TOO cold. This is probably why the bigger Oslo region is the area where hockey has the biggest footing. Cold enough but warm enough.

I think the main reason is probably soccer and how massive ski sports like cross country and alpine skiing have been for decades and decades.

Feels like it's starting to turn around now, thankfully :) Probably never going to be anything close to the popularity in Sweden, tho.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
forgive the ignorance, and maybe lazy too today... what is population of Norway?
Seems to be a rather low pop level vis-a-vis the rest of Europe , no?

ok I was self-shamed to look it up!
5 mil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad