Andreas Martinsen Thread aka The Norwegian Poster Containment camp

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Send him to SA so he can play big minutes and see if he starts producing. While it may decimate SA Rintinin should be brought up to replace him given his overall productivity and much higher ceiling. Martinsen may not pan out but playing spot minutes and only doling out pain but not points is not going to keep him in the NHL.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Martinsen has been bad lately. Really bad. For a little while there he was making some sweet passes and throwing his body around effectively, but man, over the last ten games or so he's been useless aside from the hit that led to Grigorenko's goal in Dallas. If Rantanen does get the callup, he's the one that's got to go, IMO. Don't care if we have to waive him, he's a fourth-liner on a team with four better fourth liner options. It wouldn't be ideal to lose him that way, but I have a feeling nobody's going to jump at him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Send him to SA so he can play big minutes and see if he starts producing. While it may decimate SA Rintinin should be brought up to replace him given his overall productivity and much higher ceiling. Martinsen may not pan out but playing spot minutes and only doling out pain but not points is not going to keep him in the NHL.

He didn't do anything in SA the first time. I dare even say it's tougher to generate offense in that league. Roy has scratched Grigo, Wagner and even Tanguay but hasn't Martinsen in a long time. I don't think he comes out

But this thread is for his fans, probably not the best place for this convo.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we're seeing with some of these guys why it's so impressive that McLeod has been able to maintain his role as an NHL regular for so long. When you don't have the talent to play with the puck, it's incredibly hard to keep your spot in the NHL because you have such little margin for error in the other departments that you bring to the table, and those are the areas that require the most work.

You have to maintain constant focus, and work hard every single shift to play well defensively, and forecheck hard to create energy. It's really a tough thing to do, to bring it like that every night. Guys that can play a role with the puck, even 3rd line tweeners have more leeway in the hard working areas, because they can chip in to help the team in other areas.

We've seen lately with some of these guys that looked solid early, not be able to maintain that level of play. Even guys that I was a fan of like Everberg and Rendulic, and now Martinsen. They've all had a bit of a drop off in play because they have to bring it every single night, or they lose their spot and it can snowball into being sent back to the AHL.

Marty had a similar dip earlier in the season. He regrouped and started bringing it again, and he's gonna have to do that after the break as well. It's impressive where he's gotten himself in his career, but he's just gonna have to keep working to stay here. That's what separates the McLeod's from most guys in his role.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What is his waiver status? He signed in May at age 24, which would give us 2 years or 60 games. But he turned 25 in June, which would only give us 1 year (not sure about the number of games). For waiver purposes is he considered 24 or 25 when signed? I could have sworn I read something about one's age being determined by their age at a certain date (start of the year maybe) instead of when they literally sign their contract. Though maybe i am thinking of another rule involving waivers. Maybe something to do with the teenagers and what age their contract starts or something.

If we plan on keeping everyone, minus Tanguay obviously, someone is going to have to be sent down if we add anyone else to the mix other than Rantanen.

Is he even waiver except right now? Someone is going to have to go down when we call Rantanen up next week (hopefully).

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He's only on a one year ELC so that means he's exempt this whole year.

That's why I still think it takes an injury to get Rantanen up here, or a blowout loss. :laugh:

Thanks. with him being waiver eligible right now I think that makes it a lot easier to call up Rantanen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see SA doing him any good. He isn't talented. He isn't really young either. He is what he is.

I don't think its fair to judge him based on 40-ish league games in the toughest league in the world and say what he is, is absolute. I don't think he's been amazing at all, had glimpses, but for the most part isn't ready for the NHL.

SA will do wonders as he will still learn the NA style of game especially improving his puck skills and goalscoring. I know he isn't young, but Soderberg was a late bloomer and Carl of 5 years ago probably didn't look like an NHL player either. Some players are late bloomers.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
But this thread is for his fans, probably not the best place for this convo.

In one of his biggest fans, and I agree that he might not really be good enough for the NHL. I don't get to watch most of the games due to the time difference, so I appreciate the honest takes on him. I hope once he gets more and more used to the rink size and speed he'll turn into an effective third or fourth liner.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's why I still think it takes an injury to get Rantanen up here, or a blowout loss. :laugh:

Like a 6-1 loss on the road? :P I'm sort of kidding, but if Tanguay isn't immune to scratches like we all thought and the offense is struggling, that changes the equation a bit.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't send him down but I think Marty could do with a few scratches. He's starting to have a tough time walking the line between not getting in trouble with the refs, and not being a physical factor; and that's messing with his confidence which is exacerbating the limited skill he's showing. Some time off could help him reset and come back as someone who makes a positive impact with physicality again...though there were points in the kings game where he was starting to get rambunctious, so maybe this ASB is all it takes for us to start seeing Marty Smashes with regularity again.

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I'm about to study abroad in Norway and from what I've gathered, hockey isn't very big there. This strikes me as odd considering it's a popular winter sport and is extremely popular in Sweden. Any ideas as to why it's never really caught on over there?

Back in the 60s, when the Sweeds build a lot of rinks, Norwegian gouverments find it more important to teach our children to swim. So they invested in a lot of swimming pools instead of ice rinks. Now, pretty much all the pools is dry because it is to expencive to operate them. Sad but true. Hockey was very popular back in the 80 and early 90s in those few places with a rink.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How about we talk about the new and improved Martinsen 2.0? Ever since he made it back into the lineup for the Anaheim game he's been playing impressive power forward hockey and showcasing some hot hands. That Mitchell goal last night in particular was 100% Marty bulling his way through four defenders to get to the corner and then setting up the goal with a slick pass. We'll see if he can keep this up, but he is certainly making a case to replace Skille next year at the very least.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't even know about new and improved. He was bad last night outside of that one rush (which was great), particularly defensively. He's more or less lost in his own end. I still think he has a lot of areas he has to improve in to be a regular NHL player. He seems to do well after long stretches of being benched, but I think he's gone back to being invisible out there the last 4 games or so.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I don't even know about new and improved. He was bad last night outside of that one rush (which was great), particularly defensively. He's more or less lost in his own end. I still think he has a lot of areas he has to improve in to be a regular NHL player. He seems to do well after long stretches of being benched, but I think he's gone back to being invisible out there the last 4 games or so.

not a skill issue, this is all coaching or hockey IQ.. needs to have some good in depth development work... I think SA would be great for some of next season, but now he has a pulse so he is up and playing ...
ANy news from our walking limping wounded?
ok wrong thread ..\
cough

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Andreas Martenson's background

I know that Martensen's nationality is Norwegian but I was wondering if anyone knew what his background was? I'm assuming that one of his parents are of African American descent? Does anyone know the answer to this? I know that one of Oliver Kylington's (Calgary Flames) parents are Eritrean. Thanks in advance...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know that Martensen's nationality is Norwegian but I was wondering if anyone knew what his background was? I'm assuming that one of his parents are of African American descent? Does anyone know the answer to this? I know that one of Oliver Kylington's (Calgary Flames) parents are Eritrean. Thanks in advance...

I believe Peter McNab mentioned that his father is from India or the region around it. I don't think he has any African background.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I just think he spends his offseason laying on the beach and continuously pouring honey over his delightful skin.

The best thing that happened in this awful Avalanche season was Iginla score his milestone 600 goal. Not because Iginla hit the milestone, but because everyone came onto the ice to congratulate him. When this was happening Calvin Pickard skated out, bumped into Martinsen, gave him a tap on the head and went back to the bench. To this day he still believes he congratulated Iginla and that's just truly amazing :laugh:

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I just think he spends his offseason laying on the beach and continuously pouring honey over his delightful skin.

The best thing that happened in this awful Avalanche season was Iginla score his milestone 600 goal. Not because Iginla hit the milestone, but because everyone came onto the ice to congratulate him. When this was happening Calvin Pickard skated out, bumped into Martinsen, gave him a tap on the head and went back to the bench. To this day he still believes he congratulated Iginla and that's just truly amazing :laugh:

HA! oh my.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Martinsen already has a thread. Thought it was answered here but it has been answered. I believe it's his father is Ugandan and Indian.

Ugandan you say?

hqdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad