Andreas Athanasiou

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
TBH I still don't see AA as a center. His lightning speed makes him a better asset on a wing. I guess it would be nice to find him a suitable #2C, but I hope our management concentrates on defense.
I agree. First task this offseason is fixing up the back end for sure this summer, not trading our 2nd leading scorer that has had a breakout season.. With Zadina and the 2019 first rounder on entry level for a while it makes sense to keep him for a few more years while there salaries are low.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I agree. First task this offseason is fixing up the back end for sure this summer, not trading our 2nd leading scorer that has had a breakout season.. With Zadina and the 2019 first rounder on entry level for a while it makes sense to keep him for a few more years while there salaries are low.

We need to pump the brakes on AA.

30 goals is fantastic. 52 points is a very good season.

But I mean, it isn't materially different from what Tatar did. There is a lot to be excited about with him, but his breakout season is not materially different than the Nyquist explosion break out season nor Tatar's 29g, 27a year and those guys were not ever viewed as driver pieces.

If there is a deal to be had that upgrades our D in a significant way for AA and maybe a small add, you would be crazy to overlook it.

I am not saying that they should trade AA. But do not be so enamored by a breakout year that you pass up a good deal because you think he has more. Because people thought Tatar had more... and he didn't. People thought Nyquist had more and he didn't.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

But I mean, it isn't materially different from what Tatar did. There is a lot to be excited about with him, but his breakout season is not materially different than the Nyquist explosion break out season nor Tatar's 29g, 27a year and those guys were not ever viewed as driver pieces.

If there is a deal to be had that upgrades our D in a significant way for AA and maybe a small add, you would be crazy to overlook it.

I am not saying that they should trade AA. But do not be so enamored by a breakout year that you pass up a good deal because you think he has more. Because people thought Tatar had more... and he didn't. People thought Nyquist had more and he didn't.

plus scoring is up quite a bit compared to then

compared to Tatar's 29 goal/56 point season for example AA is currently 89th in the league in points and Tatar was 58th that year

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

compared to Tatar's 29 goal/56 point season for example AA is currently 89th in the league in points and Tatar was 58th that year

From 2014 its up about 11%, so 29 goals in 2014 for example is comparable to 32 goals now.

Below is GPG each year since 2014.

12018-193.02
22017-182.97
32016-172.77
42015-162.71
52014-152.73
62013-142.74
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

(Super not directed towards you, I mean this just in general) I feel, personally with no basis to go off of, a full season with Hirose and our first round pick will put AA at or above 60 points and 35 goals. At a 3mil cap hit, that is not someone you want to trade away or get rid of. His upcoming contract at 4.5-6 mil also will be a steal as he enters his prime hopefully nailing down 60-70 points. barring injury, he's a guy you keep unless you get a trade offer you simply cannot turn down.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
At even strength, AA's line have been scored on 46 times and his line has scored 46 times. Hardly a terrible trade off for a team as bad as this one is.

Got those stats from Corsica, i'll be honest though, I don't understand why he is a -6 on the season then if his lines have scored as many as they have given up even strength?

Short handed goals

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
TBH I still don't see AA as a center. His lightning speed makes him a better asset on a wing. I guess it would be nice to find him a suitable #2C, but I hope our management concentrates on defense.

If he plays in a system where he is playing under the puck he fits excellently as a centerman because it makes it extremely hard for D to gap up when he’s coming at them with so much speed. Most d will back off and play it safe allowing more space for AA to enter the zone

Reactions: golffuul

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
When assessing his value, it is important to recognise that until recently he barely put up any PP points. To my mind, as long as we find decent PP producers, this actually increases his value, as so many goalscorers get a big chunk on the PP. If he had the skillset to be really effective on the PP in addition to what gifts he has, he'd be a 40 goal man, and no one would consider trading him.

Reactions: Sentinel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The team only has 4 players that can score, as much as it needs defense, you can't create one hole to fill another. Trading AA for a defenseman is pointless.

I also happen to like the way he's playing lately. Aside from the first line, he's the only player worth watching. That's enough reason to keep him.

Reactions: Lil Bert

masta8

Apr 26, 2018

Tatar also played with the likes of Datsyuk and Z and company that year and AA's most common linemate was Glendenning.... common hah

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Tatar was solid but hes a much different player than Athanasiou. He relied a lot more on playing with a great center. Athanasiou is a weird player who is worth keeping around if he doesnt demand too much in a contract (he probably will though). He will score his 25-35 goals every season from the 1st line or the third line. Hes a player that doesnt need amazing talent around him to put the puck in the net. With his size/speed/hands he could be great to have on the third line come playoff time and be a scoring threat regardless of the talent around him.

I'm sure AAs production is going to be higher with better players but I dont think you could see a crazy difference compared to a player like Tatar who if he was playing a lot with someone like Glendening would do nothing out there.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Tatar was solid but hes a much different player than Athanasiou. He relied a lot more on playing with a great center. Athanasiou is a weird player who is worth keeping around if he doesnt demand too much in a contract (he probably will though). He will score his 25-35 goals every season from the 1st line or the third line. Hes a player that doesnt need amazing talent around him to put the puck in the net. With his size/speed/hands he could be great to have on the third line come playoff time and be a scoring threat regardless of the talent around him.

I'm sure AAs production is going to be higher with better players but I dont think you could see a crazy difference compared to a player like Tatar who if he was playing a lot with someone like Glendening would do nothing out there.
For goals, I totally agree. For assists, I think there's more nuance depending on line mates.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
For goals, I totally agree. For assists, I think there's more nuance depending on line mates.

Yeah he might get a few more assists playing on a better line, but he doesnt use his teammates very well overall and I dont think playing with great linemates is going to change that all of a sudden. And when the wings are good again, playing AA with the best line mates will mean them having the puck on their stick less because of his play style.

I think for a playoff/contender type team, AA is a great weapon to have down the line up to score that goal out of nowhere but hes not the guy who should be playing top minutes either

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think his value is in what a unique player he is. I think he's important to have to create a matchup nightmare for opponents. Imagine we're stuck in a playoff series against a line that has Larkin's number, and another line that shuts down whatever secondary scorers we have at the time. Double shift AA with some zero-offense 4th liners. What does the opponent do then? Shift things around and become vulnerable to our real scoring lines? Or leave AA alone for a shift? We all know how dangerous that can be.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
When assessing his value, it is important to recognise that until recently he barely put up any PP points. To my mind, as long as we find decent PP producers, this actually increases his value, as so many goalscorers get a big chunk on the PP. If he had the skillset to be really effective on the PP in addition to what gifts he has, he'd be a 40 goal man, and no one would consider trading him.
Exactly, if you factor in the lack of PP points and the grade A chances he missed throughout the year (a lot in the first 10 or so games when he was snake bitten) I can't see why he can't have 35-40 goals next year. No team should be trading a 24 year-old player like that, let alone a team in a rebuilding process.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

I agree with this in principle but as far as I recall, our option for an upgrade on D to which we could have traded Tatar or Nyquist for started and ended with Myers. At the time, Myers had a lot of question marks around him so it made sense not to pull the trigger and I wouldn't do it if were facing the same scenario.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
AA on the power play is an interesting thing to think about.

Like in an ideal world I'm torn between thinking he's just not a good PP player and will never be; or he has potential to be very useful on it.

Against: He does not have great decision making ability and that's probably one of the harder things for a player to learn. He has never been great at using linemates, and he's best with speed, while the PP is more structured and slowed down.
For: He does have a great shot. I remember a stretch where he sniped a few really nice one-timers from the circles. A goalscorer's gonna goalscore.

Numbers: 3 goals, 10 points on the power play. 3 goals is of course bad. His 7 assists is not great but our leaders only have 8. Our PP overall has been unquestionably bad, but the silver lining of that is that there is a lot of room for improvement. If the system is better, and the point-men are better, and the passing is better overall, will his output be better?

I'm still stuck. Part of me thinks he's best thought of as simply an ES goalscorer forever and when we're competing we have enough other guys to fill out the PP lines. But another part of me thinks there's potential for him to start scoring on a better PP to make up the jump from 30 to 40 goals.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
AA on the power play is an interesting thing to think about.

Like in an ideal world I'm torn between thinking he's just not a good PP player and will never be; or he has potential to be very useful on it.

Against: He does not have great decision making ability and that's probably one of the harder things for a player to learn. He has never been great at using linemates, and he's best with speed, while the PP is more structured and slowed down.
For: He does have a great shot. I remember a stretch where he sniped a few really nice one-timers from the circles. A goalscorer's gonna goalscore.

Numbers: 3 goals, 10 points on the power play. 3 goals is of course bad. His 7 assists is not great but our leaders only have 8. Our PP overall has been unquestionably bad, but the silver lining of that is that there is a lot of room for improvement. If the system is better, and the point-men are better, and the passing is better overall, will his output be better?

I'm still stuck. Part of me thinks he's best thought of as simply an ES goalscorer forever and when we're competing we have enough other guys to fill out the PP lines. But another part of me thinks there's potential for him to start scoring on a better PP to make up the jump from 30 to 40 goals.
I think him playing center will help his decision making. If he can figure that out, he will be a great option to enter the zone.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I agree with this in principle but as far as I recall, our option for an upgrade on D to which we could have traded Tatar or Nyquist for started and ended with Myers. At the time, Myers had a lot of question marks around him so it made sense not to pull the trigger and I wouldn't do it if were facing the same scenario.
A few years ago there were rumors floated about a DET/ANA deal involving Tatar and Fowler. I was all aboard that train at the time, but obviously nothing materialized.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
A few years ago there were rumors floated about a DET/ANA deal involving Tatar and Fowler. I was all aboard that train at the time, but obviously nothing materialized.

And it is a pretty good thing nothing did materialize.

The offer I remember was Tatar + 16 for Fowler.

Obviously that gets us into a huge rabbit hole, but so many things we are excited for now do not happen if we land Cam Fowler then.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think him playing center will help his decision making. If he can figure that out, he will be a great option to enter the zone.
Plus he's playing with Hirose, the hockey genius.

Seems like he's on the same page as Taro, so I'm not worried about his ability to utilize his teammates.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And it is a pretty good thing nothing did materialize.

The offer I remember was Tatar + 16 for Fowler.

Obviously that gets us into a huge rabbit hole, but so many things we are excited for now do not happen if we land Cam Fowler then.
For sure...at that price. I thought it was Anaheim asking for Tatar + 16, and Detroit not even bothering to counter, which was the part that disappointed me. I would have gladly pulled the trigger for a second rounder (with another sweetener if need be) instead of a first, but maybe the Ducks insisted on no alternatives. No real way of knowing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad