Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Looks like we got more than a new head coach today…

Wonder if Hepple can participate in this draft, seeing as how his contract is up before the draft is held. A COVID oddity. Another experienced voice added to BA's war room.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He was just on 910am radio. A few tidbits I picked out:

-Has a relationship with Plandowski. This was the connection (I speculated this would be the case with Groulx)
-He chatted with BA and Plandowski 1st at the u18s about interviewing (late April-early May)
-He interviewed while at the WC
-They started contract talks right after WC
-He's been in town since last Monday
-Offered the position this Tuesday night

-Talked a LOT about identity (relentless, hardworking, proud, tough to play against)
-Everyone wants to win but need hard work, commitment, sacrifice, and accountability
-Feels the vibes around town for the Suns and wants to make that happen for Yotes
-Talked about Hayton's character, leadership, sacrifice, and paying the price to win
-Likes Montreal's big, tough D, and aggressive PK (likes size, grit, and aggression)
-Likes that Tampa can play any way, have size and toughness but also talent
-Stressed goaltending, defense, relentless commitment to two-way play,
...always pressuring and taking away time and space, and playing with the puck and forechecking
Was this our new coach or RT, or another coach on the radio:), they all sound similar. I like the hire for now, but we shall see if he works out. BA did his homework and went with "his guy", I hope it works!

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Those pea soup reporters will turn on him as soon as they can. Can anyone remember a coach jumping from the Q, OHL or the DUB to a NHL head Job being successful?
Arizona Coyotes: Hockey On The Cheap!

Seriously, it fits in with my feeling that the coach doesn't matter much until there is a roster to move into contention.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’ve spent so many years watching the draft. And I watched teams like St Louis, Tampa, and Colorado make so many great picks and make their teams so much better on the strength of those picks. And there are these same faces up on the stage year after year. Surviving even longer than GMs and owners sometimes. It’s these chief scouts.

Guys like Bill Armstrong, and Darryl Plandowski and Alan Hepple. I see these guys sitting at the “good” table every year. Going up and making picks for franchises on the way up.

Now so many of these familiar faces that I associate with expertise and success are all sitting at our table. It feels good, man. Maybe it won’t work. Things never do for the Coyotes. But it feels good right now.

rt

May 13, 2004
How long is his contract for?
3yrs, around 1mil per. Which is the new normal for non-celebrity coaches. Friedman and Marek both expressed strongly that this was NOT a budget hire and it’s a great rate for a great candidate.

Don’t listen to the haters. They’re too busy criticizing to learn anything or go through the trouble to actually find out what’s what. These guys who speak in dismissive truisms and tired ass old dude bumper sticker slogans are just bozos. Tune them out. It’s just manifest unhappiness.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

May 13, 2004
Was this our new coach or RT, or another coach on the radio:), they all sound similar. I like the hire for now, but we shall see if he works out. BA did his homework and went with "his guy", I hope it works!
I remember from Tocchet that “I wanna play fast. Cuz these days ya gotta play fast. So we’re gonna be a fast team. In Pittsburgh we we were fast. So in Arizona we gotta play fast.”

It sounded great. So many years of playing slow.

Now we have Tourigny saying “relentless” and “accountability” over and over again. Which is refreshing because it’s been a country club for four years.

Hopefully the music to our ears doesn’t immediately start hitting such sour notes like it did last time.

Reactions: lanky

rt

May 13, 2004
That's pretty cheap for a great candidate. Should be plenty left on the table to get top tier assistants.
31 Thoughts keeps talking about how the market has reset on coaching prices. There is a small handful of guys who will still get the big tickets, but for everyone else, the theory is that this is the new normal.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I remember from Tocchet that “I wanna play fast. Cuz these days ya gotta play fast. So we’re gonna be a fast team. In Pittsburgh we we were fast. So in Arizona we gotta play fast.”

It sounded great. So many years of playing slow.

Now we have Tourigny saying “relentless” and “accountability” over and over again. Which is refreshing because it’s been a country club for four years.

Hopefully the music to our ears doesn’t immediately start hitting such sour notes like it did last time.
Tocchet also emphasized letting creative players play creative and to not make them think too much. In the end he ended up stifling the offensive creativity of so many young players from Domi to Strome to Keller.

Reactions: Surfshop

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also leaves some dollars for Housley to stay home. I'm sure he's getting a couple hundred grand.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was scrolling through the front office page on the team site and noticed Meruelo Jr has a new title, "Chief Brand Officer".

Reactions: rt

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wonder if Hepple can participate in this draft, seeing as how his contract is up before the draft is held. A COVID oddity. Another experienced voice added to BA's war room.

Morgan was asked and says there's no restrictions.

rt

May 13, 2004
From an Avs fan:

"Tourigny still stands out as the best defensive coach I've ever seen. He took nobody defenders and made them passable in the NHL. He redefined EJ's defensive style and tilted him towards being amazing when he joined the Avs. And the moment he left the Avs it all disappeared.

Good hire."

Reactions: Kaizen and hbk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad