Confirmed with Link: André Tourigny named next Head Coach (presser @11AM Thursday)

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
All this talk of accountability is nothing more than fodder for the fan that doesn't really know the game / players at this level. Check out the pressor at the 24:30 mark, where TA explains how Sakic told him that all these guys come prepared and want to improve every day.

Edit: I've been trying to explain this for years.... thanks for the help Joe!

While you were busy tooting your own horn I think you missed the point. He’s talking about holding players accountable for their actions and their play, not the fact that players come to work every day and try to get better. Of course if they’re not doing that they’re going to get weeded out real quick.

A perfect example of a coach NOT showing accountability with players was Tocchet in year one of Kessel. He was injured and sucking every game and he kept force feeding him ice time every game. That’s not a mentality of accountability, that’s a country club bro mentality. Another example is Garland scoring 20 goals playing basically 4th line minutes and little to no PP time…rather than start playing him more minutes and adjusting his usage, he tried to convince himself that Garland wasn’t ready for it and was a flash in the pan, and kept giving those minutes to his buddy and other inferior players. Again, not an atmosphere of accountability or merit based minutes…more a situation of favoritism and “intuition” based coaching because the coach is out of his depth.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
A perfect example of a coach NOT showing accountability with players was Tocchet in year one of Kessel. He was injured and sucking every game and he kept force feeding him ice time every game. That’s not a mentality of accountability, that’s a country club bro mentality. Another example is Garland scoring 20 goals playing basically 4th line minutes and little to no PP time…rather than start playing him more minutes and adjusting his usage, he tried to convince himself that Garland wasn’t ready for it and was a flash in the pan, and kept giving those minutes to his buddy and other inferior players. Again, not an atmosphere of accountability or merit based minutes…more a situation of favoritism and “intuition” based coaching because the coach is out of his depth.
That's your opinion and I don't agree. Mistakes are going to be made and there will always be exceptions, but I didn't / don't have a problem with RT's personnel usage in general. An injured Kessel was still one of our better players and sadly belonged on the ice. Garland was a mistake, but in the opposite way (of the what we are discussing) in that he is always working and looking to improve and yes, he was under utilized. Stepan was the best option he had and used accordingly, with the exception of the powerplay (imo). None of that means they needed to be "held accountable", or weren't being accountable.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
From an Avs fan:

"Tourigny still stands out as the best defensive coach I've ever seen. He took nobody defenders and made them passable in the NHL. He redefined EJ's defensive style and tilted him towards being amazing when he joined the Avs. And the moment he left the Avs it all disappeared.

Good hire."
I will hold judgment on AT, BUT this sounds a lot like 2-1, 3-2 games and then unabashed turtling...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I will hold judgment on AT, BUT this sounds a lot like 2-1, 3-2 games and then unabashed turtling...
Tippett said it when he was originally hired by the Yotes - with no talent the only way to win your fair share of games is keep them very, very tight and lowe scoring, and find a top third of the league goaltender.

Reactions: Gwyddbwyll

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Tippett said it when he was originally hired by the Yotes - with no talent the only way to win your fair share of games is keep them very, very tight and lowe scoring, and find a top third of the league goaltender.
Why do fans insist on saying things like "no talent?" These guys are incredibly talented and I hope DT would not have said that. Lacking high end talent and goal scorers is another thing altogether.
DT is correct, that is the only way to make it work w/o high end talent. I know we tend to disagree, but I think we are closer to being able to aquire the pieces to allow some of our higher end talent to execute. Whichever of us is right, it will be interesting to see what BA has in store for us.... let's just hope the coaching is up to par, or better yet below par (in golf speak).

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why do fans insist on saying things like "no talent?" These guys are incredibly talented and I hope DT would not have said that. Lacking high end talent and goal scorers is another thing altogether.
DT is correct, that is the only way to make it work w/o high end talent. I know we tend to disagree, but I think we are closer to being able to aquire the pieces to allow some of our higher end talent to execute. Whichever of us is right, it will be interesting to see what BA has in store for us.... let's just hope the coaching is up to par, or better yet below par (in golf speak).
Fair point. The wordage is mine and unfortunately too late to edit out. I believe Tippett said something to the nature of lacking high end talent.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We don't tend to disagree as much as you might think. I just glanced through some of your past posts. I am certainly open to changing my mind, if you or anyone can show me a possible course to winning that doesn't involve a couple of seasons of abject losing. I do watch this team in person, after all, and am as vested as anybody in their success.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
It is unfair on RT.

In 2017, after an historically bad 2-15-3 start, things did improve. :naughty:

Honestly looking back.
2017-2018: historically bad start, very good end of season and Raanta emerged looking like a top goalie in the league. Keller putting up 65 as a rookie, and Stepan doing things that we traded for him to do. Rough start, promising end.
2018-2019: 6-5 at the end of OCT, 5-6-2 on NOV, and 6-9 in DEC. However, we had better records from. JAN-MAR including a 8-5-1 FEB. This was post Domi, and Gally was injured at the start of the season. Another season where there was more hope at the end of the season than the start. Chayka did a number on the roster though as he traded Domi in the offseason, and Strome and Perlini during the slump in November after a 1-6 loss to Calgary. I believe this was the season where Raanta's injuries really started to become and issue and Kuemper started to shine. Again, lots of hope by the end of it.

Then we all know what happened the next two seasons. Inverses of the first two of the RT/Chayka era. Great starts and utter collapses at the end. You could argue last year was a decent start with a collapse but the team actually looked like they were breaking out in the 2019-2020 season.

Man we really had two deja vu seasons in a row.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We don't tend to disagree as much as you might think. I just glanced through some of your past posts. I am certainly open to changing my mind, if you or anyone can show me a possible course to winning that doesn't involve a couple of seasons of abject losing. I do watch this team in person, after all, and am as vested as anybody in their success.
That would require too much speculation on my part (not my idea of fun), but I do think we have enough talent that with a few pieces added, we can be very competitive. The D situation is a concern and of course a first line center, has been our battle cry for years.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
We are so close. Depending on the defensive replacements I believe we can be able to win 55 to 56 percent of our games. Soderstrom And Chicken will be our first pairing.

Keeping Kemp’s is vital. I am looking forward to next year and it’s not to tank.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We are so close. Depending on the defensive replacements I believe we can be able to win 55 to 56 percent of our games. Soderstrom And Chicken will be our first pairing.

Keeping Kemp’s is vital. I am looking forward to next year and it’s not to tank.
We aren’t close to a .560W%. Maybe P% but not W%.

Reactions: Surfshop

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I think it would benefit soderstrom so much having him spend another year getting real minutes in Tucson. Especially if OEL gets traded there would be no one to shepherd him along at the next level. He doesn’t need that pressure.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
We aren’t close to a .560W%. Maybe P% but not W%.

Ok give me a handicap;) .540 W on Dec 31, 2012 bet you 2 orders of wings. End of season a pizza. Being in separate countries we will do Uber Eats :)

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I think it would benefit soderstrom so much having him spend another year getting real minutes in Tucson. Especially if OEL gets traded there would be no one to shepherd him along at the next level. He doesn’t need that pressure.
We have a great coach for him and we will need him. To many openings, if they don’t give him a shot could hurt his relationship. It’s his to lose :) just my thoughts

Reactions: Jakey53

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
It was time for RT to go but this team has never acquired a top rated coach except for Tippet but he was an emergency hire when 99 quit just before the season. Mr doughnut is probably the coach with the best pedigree that was hired but after a great start in his 2nd year the team was 17-3-2 they then faded and finally choked away a 3-1 lead to the Blues and he was fired.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
We have a great coach for him and we will need him. To many openings, if they don’t give him a shot could hurt his relationship. It’s his to lose :) just my thoughts

Nah, I'm all for overcooking the kid. He looked okay at the beginning of the year, and the last few games of the season he looked much better in the areas he needed to improve. Whatever they did in Tucson helped him for sure, even though it was a tough environment to play in this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nah, I'm all for overcooking the kid. He looked okay at the beginning of the year, and the last few games of the season he looked much better in the areas he needed to improve. Whatever they did in Tucson helped him for sure, even though it was a tough environment to play in this year.
Overcooking a kid is fine when selected later in the draft, because they need time to develop. Kids that are high end talent selected in the high first round can jump right in. Depends on the kid, but not all need years of seasoning in the minors.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Can you imagine having all the training, skills and talent to get a promotion. Then your boss hires someone way less qualified then you for the position. Then says I know you can do the job we just want you to practise it some more. Improve your words per minute. Would this create dislike towards your employer?

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Overcooking a kid is fine when selected later in the draft, because they need time to develop. Kids that are high end talent selected in the high first round can jump right in. Depends on the kid, but not all need years of seasoning in the minors.
Agree but it has always seemed to me that defensemen, in general, need more time than forwards.

Reactions: Surfshop

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
All this talk of accountability is nothing more than fodder for the fan that doesn't really know the game / players at this level. Check out the pressor at the 24:30 mark, where TA explains how Sakic told him that all these guys come prepared and want to improve every day.

Edit: I've been trying to explain this for years.... thanks for the help Joe!
While I understand that point I think there is still more to get out of this team. Too often we were taking nights off. A lot of the team is still young.

Tourigny seems like hard ass, demanding a lot out of his players. He's been described as culture builder and I think there's a lot of work to do with our culture. I think he'll set the expectation and there will be consequences if we take a night off. Like we saw in games against the Avs. Or even the Kings when we were in the playoff hunt. They are pros and should be at their best but at times it looks like some are content with collecting a cheque.

rt

May 13, 2004
While I understand that point I think there is still more to get out of this team. Too often we were taking nights off. A lot of the team is still young.

Tourigny seems like hard ass, demanding a lot out of his players. He's been described as culture builder and I think there's a lot of work to do with our culture. I think he'll set the expectation and there will be consequences if we take a night off. Like we saw in games against the Avs. Or even the Kings when we were in the playoff hunt. They are pros and should be at their best but at times it looks like some are content with collecting a cheque.
The hard ass thing only works to a point in the nhl. The good thing is that Tourigny knows that. He’s been a coach in the NHL. He was on Roy’s staff when he won a Jack Adams. And he was on Roy’s staff when he imploded. Tourigny is observant and has a passion for learning. Patrick Roy already learned some hard lessons for him, that he now doesn’t hve to.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ok give me a handicap;) .540 W on Dec 31, 2012 bet you 2 orders of wings. End of season a pizza. Being in separate countries we will do Uber Eats :)
I’m going to be nice and let you see what happens to the roster first. I don’t want shake on this two weeks before BA trades everyone over 25 for draft picks. ;)

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
I’m going to be nice and let you see what happens to the roster first. I don’t want shake on this two weeks before BA trades everyone over 25 for draft picks. ;)

That’s sounds so logical;) Gut telling me we are sooo close

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad