Confirmed with Link: Andlauer reaches deal for Ottawa Senators ownership

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I guess the point I was trying to make with the salaries is that they are always increasing over time. They are not decreasing or even stagnating. Maybe for a short period of time but in the last 30 years they've constantly increased. You wouldn't be wrong by saying that salaries over time are always increasing. What's been decreasing is the purchasing power of that money.

I think your general premise that young families were struggling after purchasing a house is not necessarily giving justice to the current situation for first time home buyers if you compare it to 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago. How much more money is the average person making compared to 5 years ago? It's pretty damn similar.

View attachment 834943

This is the trend that you see in Canada and this includes Ottawa where income is more stable than most other cities.

I don't personally think it's debatable that young people now have it harder than people in the 90s. Because the money people had in the 90's went far compared to now. It's not particularly close either.
Interesting chart. One question: What is the definition of an "average home"? For example, Is this the "average price of a home" or a home of a specific square footage?

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
When you are ion the other side of the coin and I pay 26k a month for carbon tax alone, you would understand. But you’re collecting your 300 dollar cheque. Guess where that comes from. Guys like me. Yep, axe this tax.
You will find more people that agree with you on your next trip to Harmon's Steakhouse for a tomahawk steak in your Ferrari, but probably not here.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not interested in extending the rest of your post, probably best to let that subject die off as political discussion isn't allowed, but I'm curious what quite you are referring to here, my head immediately jumped to George Carling saying something to the effect of "think about how stupid the average person is then realize that half of them are dumber than that"...
speaking of "half of them dumber than that" .... there's the obvious irony of one of you using the incorrect first name and the other misspelling the last name

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If you're paying 26k a month, you're obviously incredibly wealthy doing big business. Not the type of people we're too worried about even if you have a point. From our perspective, keep the tax.
Except people like him, in housing , are making YOU pay for it. Axe the tax. And look beyond your nose

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
speaking of "half of them dumber than that" .... there's the obvious irony of one of you using the incorrect first name and the other misspelling the last name
I'm going to go ahead and blame Autocomplete on my phone for than one,

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
People, the cost of living, goods etc is exponentially much much higher than the USA.....one of the major factors that has ignited this is Turdeau Carbon Tax. Period. It affects every single item that makes it in your mouth. It affects every raw material to make homes. This is what is destroying our economy. Carbon Tax.
Doesn't that seem like too easy an answer?

All the problems we face? Well, OF COURSE it's the Carbon tax!!!

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020

I’m sure he’s said something about the average person on hardcore history. Also Freudian slip on my part :laugh:

Reactions: Dionysus

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Except people like him, in housing , are making YOU pay for it. Axe the tax. And look beyond your nose
I would think that if you had read the comment I replied to specifically, you would understand my response, which were both obviously a bit tongue in cheek. It was implied it came out of a wealthy persons pocket for gen pop people to get their $300. It's not that there aren't layers to all this, including things I surely don't understand, but I was only meaning my response in the bubble of their specific comment of I pay high amounts so axe the tax. What should one expect in response? I hear that all the time from many of our wealthy clients regardless of the tax, they just don't think they should have to pay taxes in general. Same from my in laws and my uncle while they basically just bought a few plots of land for a song in ancient history and haven't lifted a finger since they were 30. I hear where they're coming from, but I always have to laugh when they make such direct, isolated statements in the company of lower or middle class people that potentially face actual, real life struggles.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I'm just really quite sick of being nickle and dimed...middle class is keeping this ship afloat. They took 60k from me this year from income tax. For WHAT? Military - trash, hospitals - trash, economy - trash, infrastructure - trash. These are the major expendables, why are we sending billions to social problems and foreign countries while there are these major practical issues that exist within these borders? It's a house of cards

I wish I could just opt out. Living in one of those income tax-less states is a dream to me. I'd love to leave Canada at this point but I would never abandon my parents

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I would think that if you had read the comment I replied to specifically, you would understand my response, which were both obviously a bit tongue in cheek. It was implied it came out of a wealthy persons pocket for gen pop people to get their $300. It's not that there aren't layers to all this, including things I surely don't understand, but I was only meaning my response in the bubble of their specific comment of I pay high amounts so axe the tax. What should one expect in response? I hear that all the time from many of our wealthy clients regardless of the tax, they just don't think they should have to pay taxes in general. Same from my in laws and my uncle while they basically just bought a few plots of land for a song in ancient history and haven't lifted a finger since they were 30. I hear where they're coming from, but I always have to laugh when they make such direct, isolated statements in the company of lower or middle class people that potentially face actual, real life struggles.

Not to mention those lower and middle class people who will almost all receive hundreds of dollars more via the tax credit they get than they paid out via any price increase or inflation increase caused by carbon pricing.

Canadians are setting themselves up to lose potentially a ton of money by voting in a majority looking to take their rebates away. And if the gov leaves the rebate but does away with the carbon pricing that means less money for hospitals, services, etc that also help those same folks the most.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
i think the difference between us is one of us wrote a facetious statement, the other one believes it
Lol, geez, here I thought mine was up to task for sarcasm too, but yes, I'm a bit of a bleeding heart. Forgive me, I work right beside the Salvation Army shelter, have a family of social workers, and work in a law firm with a lot of wealthy clients, mostly from family money. Lots of extremes in my face.

Reactions: JD1 and Loach

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Not to mention those lower and middle class people who will almost all receive hundreds of dollars more via the tax credit they get than they paid out via any price increase or inflation increase caused by carbon pricing.

Canadians are setting themselves up to lose potentially a ton of money by voting in a majority looking to take their rebates away. And if the gov leaves the rebate but does away with the carbon pricing that means less money for hospitals, services, etc that also help those same folks the most.
Don't worry - he's got a housing plan that Canadian mayors hate, takes money away from municipalities that don't meet arbitrary targets, and fines bureaucrats along the way. Don't even get me started on their NIMBY bs or incentivizing sprawl.

But, this is the Andlauer thread, not the "I've never met a conservative economist or lifelong conservative politician who though taking his glasses off made him cool I trust" thread.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Try to get this puppy back on topic what do we think Andlauer’s opinion of the tomahawk at harmon’s steak house is? He strikes me as a medium rare guy which I feel like is just too much heat for that kind of cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad