Recalled/Assigned: Andersson to Hartford

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It's not hindsight for everyone, some people who post here were siding in the debate that the youngest prospects should have started in the AHL and stayed there unless injury call-up or post deadline call-up.

Some reasoning was that the Rangers were not likely to be very good anyway, the contract status going forward of two of them could be effected, and that the AHL team possibly would have built chemistry and developed these prospects just fine, maybe the AHL teams even has a really good season and that leads to some sort of confidence building exercise.

Instead now every time one of them has a string of bad games, is demoted, conclusions must be drawn and the AHL team finds itself in the lower middle pack in their standings.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am not an advanced hockey mind - but Eye test tells me Howden is in a different league than Lias. To be perfectly honest, Lias does not resemble anything more than a mid-round flier. I’m really sorry I don’t see it. I am not a fan. I don’t dislike him (yet) as I strongly dislike Vesey, but I don’t think he’ll be a keeper.

Based on his production to this point, outside of the NHL, history indicates he’ll be fine.

But, I also think his future might be on the wing.

Reactions: bernmeister

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Is it really when the GM himself said they could find 6-8 minutes for him but would prefer him playing big minutes in Hartford? Quinn also said he wasn’t sure if the limited role here or big minutes in the AHL would benefit Lias the most at this time.

It’s not that I even think he played that poorly, it’s that I think he barely got the chance to show otherwise.

Let’s not kid ourselves Lias did play poorly. On a rebuilding team he was the worst performing forward.

Sorry for a cliche but he needs a step back now in order to make two forward later,

Reactions: Kovalev27

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What is your take on Lias?

Didn't perform as I had expected and hoped. He needs more time. I think he's like a dry aged prime steak, which needs some seasoning before throwing it on the grill, whereas Chytil is a tasty, delicious schnitzel who is ready to go much sooner. Everyone likes schnitzel. Dry aged steak is an acquired taste.

Lias is a 2-way player. Not flashy, so he will not convince the casual fan as easily as Chytil has done. At the end of the day, we have to wait and see how Lias does but looking at the past 15 years, there are examples of players who weren't ready at age 20 either and developed into great top 6 players like Couture, Schenn, Niederreiter, Kadri, Koivu, Nylander etc.

The more I watch him, the more Lias reminds me of Lehtinen. It might take a few years but there's no rush. Zuccarello at this age couldn't even crack the top 6 in Sweden.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Howden hasn't been good for a while. He's basically having an Oscar Lindberg rookie season where he got an inflated reputation due to a hot start. He doesn't shoot at all. He's not scoring. The possession numbers are terrible.
This is sadly true. But at least with Howden he showed flashes of playmaking ability, and vision. Andersson had not shown much of anything.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Chytil > Howden > Andersson in terms of NHL impact right now. I have high hopes for all three -- glad that Andersson will be getting more reps in the AHL. The hope now is that he beats up the A even more than he was prior to the last call up.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Based on his production to this point, outside of the NHL, history indicates he’ll be fine.

But, I also think his future might be on the wing.

I think he spent this entire callup on the 4th line except for a handful of shifts here and there. Maybe he's not showing enough in practice etc yet to earn a higher spot in the lineup, or maybe the coaches just aren't ready to give him that chance, but it's tough to force your way up the lineup as a rookie with some mediocre wingers and icetime

Reactions: Edge

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know if there's really a lot for him to learn or work on in the AHL. I think he's an NHL player and just needs more opportunity at that level. I guess the opportunity isn't there, though. This seems like spinning our wheels, but what do I know.

If Hayes and Zuccarello are gone at the deadline I suspect he'll get top 9 NHL minutes for the rest of the season.

The reality is that Howden is doing the role we thought Andersson would have this year, and doing it better than Lias.

Reactions: mulli25

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Chytil > Howden > Andersson in terms of NHL impact right now. I have high hopes for all three -- glad that Andersson will be getting more reps in the AHL. The hope now is that he beats up the A even more than he was prior to the last call up.

All three may work out, but I don't think so. I'll buy in bulk of Chytil's stock, and Howden will wear an 'A' one day.

Can someone tell me why Lias Andersson isn't likely to follow a Lauri Korpikoski path? That seems like a more likely comp. Again, sorry - I wish I was more impressed.

EDIT:

Korpikoski age 22: 6-8-14, -10
Korpikoski age 24: 19-21-40,+17
Korpikoski age 25: 17-20-37

600 career GP, 9 years, 5 franchises. 20-25 points in his final 5 seasons.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
If Hayes and Zuccarello are gone at the deadline I suspect he'll get top 9 NHL minutes for the rest of the season.

The reality is that Howden is doing the role we thought Andersson would have this year, and doing it better than Lias.
I'm not convinced of this... If they switched positions and Lias had his linemates and Howden was skating with Boo Nieves.

But its not my responsibility to make those calls, I think all 3 of the young "centers" should've been in the AHL at various points. but alas we must ice a team in nyc

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
All three may work out, but I don't think so. I'll buy in bulk of Chytil's stock, and Howden will wear an 'A' one day.

Can someone tell me why Lias Andersson isn't likely to follow a Lauri Korpikoski path? That seems like a more likely comp. Again, sorry - I wish I was more impressed.

Different trajectory to this point.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Different trajectory to this point.

I'd challenge not so far off? (I added a Korpikoski's age 22/24/25 line). Again, I'm no expert - but I see more grinder than skill. LW3 seems more likely to me - and I don't know a damn thing.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Isn’t a bad thing he’s young . Let him play in the AHL top like minutes until they trade Hayes then call him up

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

EDIT:

Korpikoski age 22: 6-8-14, -10
Korpikoski age 24: 19-21-40,+17
Korpikoski age 25: 17-20-37

600 career GP, 9 years, 5 franchises. 20-25 points in his final 5 seasons.

I love how with Lias it's just floor expectations but when it comes to Chytil, the sky is the limit. I see Malkin, Jagr etc as comparisons hahahaha. Truth is, Chytil hasn't shown anything either outside of a 5-game stretch where he had some tap ins.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
it's not a coincidence that as the schedule tightens up and practice days become fewer to non-existent that Lias is going down.

the org clearly is of the opinion that NHL practice time NHL coaching and NHL support is the best way to cultivate their assets over "send them down to Hartford to get minutes" but people forget they have to live in grey boring ass West Hartford and for at least a decade that I know of personally, AHL kiddos passed their time partying at UHart and UConn with their peers. Not naming names but there were a few maybes over the years who could have definitely used better structure and supervision.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I love how with Lias it's just floor expectations but when it comes to Chytil, the sky is the limit. I see Malkin, Jagr etc as comparisons hahahaha. Truth is, Chytil hasn't shown anything either outside of a 5-game stretch where he had some tap ins.

I'm not one of the people who is guilty of that, but I really disagree with that last sentence. Chytil has an impact pretty much every time he's in the offensive zone and makes about one impressive play per game. The place he's still having a really hard time with is the neutral zone. He was doing the same thing when he was on the 4th line. It hasn't translated to points on the board consistently yet, but it will. In no way am I down on Andersson, but if we MUST compare their seasons to each other, Chytil has shown WAY more.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd challenge not so far off? (I added a Korpikoski's age 22/24/25 line). Again, I'm no expert - but I see more grinder than skill. LW3 seems more likely to me - and I don't know a damn thing.

Different roles and production in Europe and the WJC, different scoring rates in the AHL (keeping in mind they are separated by a good 12 years).

Where Andersson ends up aside, there’s not a ton of overlap there.

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
IDK, to me, Howden has done nothing and looked mediocre at best for like a month and a half. I don't think he has done anything to warrant keeping his spot. Even if you're of the belief that Lias has done nothing to deserve a promotion in the lineup, I don't see why you'd be opposed to at least giving Andersson a shot while bumping Howden down. Like, what would it honestly hurt?

This is a rebuilding team, everything doesn't always have to be strictly based on merit. You obviously want everyone to earn their spot, but at the same time you need to give the young talent a chance to flourish. I don't think Andersson was at all overwhelmed by the NHL, so I would give him a bigger opportunity if possible.

But, it is what it is. Again, I just hope he doesn't end up playing fourth line duties with crap when he comes back up.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
IDK, to me, Howden has done nothing and looked mediocre at best for like a month and a half. I don't think he has done anything to warrant keeping his spot. Even if you're of the belief that Lias has done nothing to deserve a promotion in the lineup, I don't see why you'd be opposed to at least giving Andersson a shot while bumping Howden down. Like, what would it honestly hurt?

This is a rebuilding team, everything doesn't always have to be strictly based on merit. You obviously want everyone to earn their spot, but at the same time you need to give the young talent a chance to flourish. I don't think Andersson was at all overwhelmed by the NHL, so I would give him a bigger opportunity if possible.

But, it is what it is. Again, I just hope he doesn't end up playing fourth line duties with crap when he comes back up.

I agree with this. Throw in our record and it's hard to explain our lineup as merit-based at all.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I don't even really disagree that Howden's play has fallen off some, but his play earlier in the year definitely gave him some credit in the bank that Andersson hasn't earned yet.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No problem with this. Doesn't pay for him to be playing 8 minutes. Rather him continue to get 20 minutes in the AHL. He'll be back up by the trade deadline anyway.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh please. He didnt deserve to be in the top 9. Stop it. He hasnt played well. Hasnt played bad, hasnt been good. He is just there. And that is not enough for the coach to move him up. He was given NHL minutes, although limited to the 4th line, and he just didnt do enough. He is a step behind the play more often than not. He is not making things happen. He doesnt possess the puck enough nor does his line while he is out there.

Go down to the AHL and continue to work on your game. He should work on his skating in the offseason.
To be fair, Chytil was kinda "just there" too when he played on the 4th line and he randomly got moved up(and succeeded with better players and more ice).

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

For sure, that's fair. I think the difference is there are a handful of players with Chytil's size and skill, so his ceiling is different, and consequently the conversation around him is different. Same goes for an NBA bigman or NFL quarterback. There are only so many guys that have the skill-set, so if the toolbox is full, the rules are different.

(Chytil is basically Porzingis)...

I'm not sure Lias' offers much more than drive/determination - as he does battle above average, and that ranks high in making for a pretty good hockey player. I'd love for him to become a Lehtinen-type, as you cited earlier, but I'm not on the Lias train.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad