Recalled/Assigned: Andersson to Hartford

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
How many more times do you think you can repeat this same thing until your brain just starts melting out of your ears? Good on you for trying to bring this beaten-to-death discussion back to reality.

And look teams have their own rankings too. So the BPA argument that outsiders make, isn't even relevant because of individual team rankings. Additionally, teams use a graded scoring system... and those parameters aren't always the same across each organization, let along publication.

This is another one of these points that carries a higher set of multi-dimensional considerations that doesn't get understood.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Could not disagree more. All you need to do is watch how easily Lias was caught from behind when he had the puck, or was unable to catch up while back checking. The guys slow and can’t keep up with the speed of the game. If you watch the world junior tournament going on right now, it’s obvious the speed of the game at that level is so far slower that it’s not even close. He can compete at that level because he can keep up. He can’t compete at the NHL level because he can’t skate. He has to improve his speed or else this will be a bust pick!

Plus, if you don’t think the speed of the game was Lias’ problem then you have to start to think was it his hockey IQ? His strength? His effort level? His scoring ability?... none of these deficiencies makes his pick any better!

At the NHL level, I think there were two things that he really struggled with. The athleticism concerns are a matter of physical maturity, but even Chytil is in that boat (and getting bigger)... these are scrawny teens in a pro league after all.

But the two things Lias struggled with were the speed of the game in the NHL.... he wasn't thinking at the pace that he was in pre-season (which mind you is 4A caliber hockey); and he struggled with hustling out there. A little too similar to the no-show forwards this team has. Too many games of just skating around.

Did he look bad? I thought he looked on par with Jimmy's nights off, Boo's glad to be here shifts, Pavel's 4th line minutes under AV.

Those aren't complements at all. But those are things he can learn from and try and differentiate himself the next time he's here.

Reactions: Inferno

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
At the NHL level, I think there were two things that he really struggled with. The athleticism concerns are a matter of physical maturity, but even Chytil is in that boat (and getting bigger)... these are scrawny teens in a pro league after all.

But the two things Lias struggled with were the speed of the game in the NHL.... he wasn't thinking at the pace that he was in pre-season (which mind you is 4A caliber hockey); and he struggled with hustling out there. A little too similar to the no-show forwards this team has. Too many games of just skating around.

Did he look bad? I thought he looked on par with Jimmy's nights off, Boo's glad to be here shifts, Pavel's 4th line minutes under AV.

Those aren't complements at all. But those are things he can learn from and try and differentiate himself the next time he's here.

Exactly why I’m concerned he will never amount to anything. If you are handed an opportunity to be an NHL player at 20 and you go out there and take shifts off, don’t skate hard and can’t make a difference in any game I call into question the players work ethic. Work ethic can’t really be taught— the player either wants it bad enough and works hard( Fast is a good example, so was Hagelin) or the player joins the trash heap of forwards you mentioned above. Simply put— it’s a terrible sign in a players development if he does not seem to want it enough at 20. Lias is simply not good enough to show less then his best at this stage of his career. This is why I think he will be in Hartford for a long time( aside from his token call up that will likely occur after the trade deadline.)

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Exactly why I’m concerned he will never amount to anything. If you are handed an opportunity to be an NHL player at 20 and you go out there and take shifts off, don’t skate hard and can’t make a difference in any game I call into question the players work ethic. Work ethic can’t really be taught— the player either wants it bad enough and works hard( Fast is a good example, so was Hagelin) or the player joins the trash heap of forwards you mentioned above. Simply put— it’s a terrible sign in a players development if he does not seem to want it enough at 20. Lias is simply not good enough to show less then his best at this stage of his career. This is why I think he will be in Hartford for a long time( aside from his token call up that will likely occur after the trade deadline.)

I don’t think it’s a lack of “want it” or effort on Lias’ part as his character is/was considered one of his greatest strengths. I like Lias as a prospect and see the potential... but right now his skating is a problem and holds him back all over the ice at the highest level. His skating needs to improve significantly for him to reach his potential.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think he was a product of the environment... and one of the reasons why I would advocate keeping him down in HFD is because you don't want those bad habits on display by the pros becoming the norm. So I disagree, and think that Lias would just be better served coming onto his own under a different pace and set of conditions.

One of the things I admire about Filip is that he's always moving his feet, trying to make and impact, and playing with a purpose, even if the direction isn't at a pro level. That's a kid whose effort is in spite of what the guys next to him are showing.

Let's take Jim Vesey for example. Not a lot of hustle, heart, or consistency out of him. Gives some quality quotes to Brooks, verbalizes what he needs to do, but doesn't do it. In a matter of effort v skill, I would question his effort, and say that his skill is more than serviceable, but what service does that offer you if it's only on display for 30 games out of 82?

I'm not absolving Lias for the type of outings he has had... but I am cognizant of a 20 year old seeing what the norm is from his teammates, and trying to meet those norms.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Glad to see he's doing well in the A.

I don't think he's ready for the NHL and prefer to keep him down there where he can build confidence.

Try him again next fall.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Glad to see he's doing well in the A.

I don't think he's ready for the NHL and prefer to keep him down there where he can build confidence.

Try him again next fall.

We'll most likely see him post-TDL.

He'll probably get a shot with stronger linemates, and he can play another 17 or 18 games without bringing his UFA status a year closer.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We'll most likely see him post-TDL.

He'll probably get a shot with stronger linemates, and he can play another 17 or 18 games without bringing his UFA status a year closer.

Agree. I reckon we'll see him post TDL.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
He banged in a rebound off of a Gropp shot.

Both Pack goals were juicy rebounds.

Lias assist was secondary but he stole the puck to start the empty netter.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I hope he tears it up & forces them to bring him back
Just so Quinn can play him 14 shifts before sending him back to the Pack.

I looked at his ice time per game up here... Kind of hard to get going seeing the ice 4 times a period.

That’s the problem with trying to win while developing your future players.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Just so Quinn can play him 14 shifts before sending him back to the Pack.

I looked at his ice time per game up here... Kind of hard to get going seeing the ice 4 times a period.

That’s the problem with trying to win while developing your future players.
The harsh reality of the whole “winning” thing is already slapping the shit outta Quinn and the team.

Reactions: Kupo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad