Recalled/Assigned: Andersson to Hartford

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
In all seriousness, it was a mistake to bring him up initially

Gorton said at camp that they didn’t want him to play small minutes on the team and that was why he was sent down

And then like 3 weeks later they call him up and do exactly what Gorton said they didn’t want....

His ELC was never gonna slide, so I don’t feel like that is a valid complaint at this point. He should have had it slide but it wasn’t going to happen

It’s also absurd they never tried him on Zibanejad’s wing. Did no one on the coaching staff or inside the organization point out “hey, Mika and Lias were dynamite together at Worlds, why not try it again?”

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would like to remind everyone that aside from the ELC years, there's also accrued seasons to take into account. If a player is on the roster for 40 games or more, even as a healthy scratch, it counts as an accrued season bringing him UFA status at age 26, instead of age 27.

True but it’s probably not a primary motivation behind the move.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would like to remind everyone that aside from the ELC years, there's also accrued seasons to take into account. If a player is on the roster for 40 games or more, even as a healthy scratch, it counts as an accrued season bringing him UFA status at age 26, instead of age 27.

He was on the team for 22 games, which gives them the flexibility to call him up post deadline for the remaining 15-18 games.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They put Lias on the same path as Filip but the outcome at this point is different. Everyone is developing differently and Andersson MUST figure out how to become faster in terms of both skating and reacting.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Good. Let him earn the call up.

Didn't see hustle, or a battle level. I think the pace of the game was a little to fast for him on reads. Last few games, his defensive positioning was a lot better, and he blocked a few shots.

I'm not a fan of him being here when he's just happy to be here. Would like him to come up and play with a purpose.

He can go down to HFD, play 20 a night in all situations. That's what you want and need out of him. Have him go back to being a puck hound. That's when he's at his best.

Some further physical development, a stronger two step acceleration, and a guy that gets after it.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Lias was a late birthday as a draft pick. Slide Rule, and 40 game eligbility don't count. This is his D+2 year from a birth year perspective. Those factors are totally non-sequitur.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Sucks he couldn't stick here. I agree with everyone that it's in the best interest of the player to eat minutes in the minors. Give him all the minutes.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think he can benefit from a stint down there. Let him regain some confidence. Let him rediscover what makes him effective and get him feeling good about his game again. Let him play meaningful minutes.
I don't know if he's lacking confidence or needs to rediscover anything. I just think he needs more opportunity.

My (probably unpopular) opinion is that he should have been swapped with Brett Howden. I like Howden a lot and think he'll be a player for us. He has 3A in his last 17 games and hasn't scored in over a month and a half. I think it would have been a worthwhile move to give Lias that opportunity before sending him down.

I mean, what's the point here, really? Send him down, let him score another 12 points in 14 AHL games, and then call him up mid-February to again staple him to the fourth line? I just don't see the point.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean, what's the point here, really? Send him down, let him score another 12 points in 14 AHL games, and then call him up mid-February to again staple him to the fourth line? I just don't see the point.

It'll give him an opportunity to implement what he's learned with the NHL team in a scenario where he might find it easier to realize the benefit and build off of it. The production might be the same, but it might come from a place that will translate better in the NHL once it's integral to his game in the AHL.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't know if he's lacking confidence or needs to rediscover anything. I just think he needs more opportunity.

My (probably unpopular) opinion is that he should have been swapped with Brett Howden. I like Howden a lot and think he'll be a player for us. He has 3A in his last 17 games and hasn't scored in over a month and a half. I think it would have been a worthwhile move to give Lias that opportunity before sending him down.

I'm not sure Howden wouldn't benefit from a stint down either.

I don't see the compete level that Andersson has shown. I see a guy who looks down to me. He's not the first guy who would benefit from that.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Honestly I thought he's been really poor this entire time. I know I'm alone in this and not trying to be malicious but it seems like he takes really short shifts and doesn't really accomplish much during his time on the ice. He needs to really work on his foot speed and more importantly his balance and lower body strength. He's far too easy to knock down and is piss poor and protecting the puck with a wide stance on the boards...you can't be slow AND poor along the boards...you at the very least need to be able to have 1 of those aspects to your game to play at the nhl level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It'll give him an opportunity to implement what he's learned with the NHL team in a scenario where he might find it easier to realize the benefit and build off of it. The production might be the same, but it might come from a place that will translate better in the NHL once it's integral to his game in the AHL.
Yeah, but again, I can't get behind this line of thinking because I feel his "struggles" (I think he was fine) were due mainly to circumstance and opportunity. So he can go work on whatever, but if he comes back up to play with McLeod and some other chud, I think the results would probably be about the same.

I guess just leave him down there until the roster is structured such that there might be a spot for him to get a look in the top nine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Personally, I don’t know if we really put him in a situation to success offensively.

Consistently put him in situations where offense is a viable option, and I think the numbers look better.

But it is what it is and here we are.

I'm not really concerned about the numbers. No matter who he played with, he struggled to impact the game at all when he was out there. That's independent of his linemates. It's ok, because a lot of 20-year olds struggle to do that. Just as an example, I remember Brandon Dubinsky's 6 games as a 20-year old and he had the same problem. The next year, you could see how much he had grown in that regard, and it translated into more offense.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
He’s got a bright future in front of him. They had the choice of letting Howden or Him play through their struggles in the NHL. They choose to play Howden.

The added ice time will benefit LA more long term anyway

Reactions: E-Train and mulli25

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I am not an advanced hockey mind - but Eye test tells me Howden is in a different league than Lias. To be perfectly honest, Lias does not resemble anything more than a mid-round flier. I’m really sorry I don’t see it. I am not a fan. I don’t dislike him (yet) as I strongly dislike Vesey, but I don’t think he’ll be a keeper.

Reactions: Kovalev27

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Howden hasn't been good for a while. He's basically having an Oscar Lindberg rookie season where he got an inflated reputation due to a hot start. He doesn't shoot at all. He's not scoring. The possession numbers are terrible.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Ideally, him and Howden should of been interchangeable based on who was playing better, and it was only since Boo came up and started forcing the play a bit that Lias really got a chance to play offense.

Never got much of an opportunity to establish himself, but also never really grabbed onto any that he did have.

I'm fine with sending him down, if only to delay his UFA status by a year. We'll make a handful of moves over the next couple months and he'll come up later on and get more of a chance to contribute.

There's been a bunch of positives this year; if Lias spending 30-40 games in the AHL is the worst thing to take away from 2018-19, then I'll be willing to call that an excellent start to the rebuild.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hindsight.
Is it really when the GM himself said they could find 6-8 minutes for him but would prefer him playing big minutes in Hartford? Quinn also said he wasn’t sure if the limited role here or big minutes in the AHL would benefit Lias the most at this time.

It’s not that I even think he played that poorly, it’s that I think he barely got the chance to show otherwise.

C’est la vie. I hope he goes back and crushes it for Hartford and then comes up post trade deadline when it won’t alter his 40 game status.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Honestly I thought he's been really poor this entire time. I know I'm alone in this and not trying to be malicious but it seems like he takes really short shifts and doesn't really accomplish much during his time on the ice. He needs to really work on his foot speed and more importantly his balance and lower body strength. He's far too easy to knock down and is piss poor and protecting the puck with a wide stance on the boards...you can't be slow AND poor along the boards...you at the very least need to be able to have 1 of those aspects to your game to play at the nhl level.

You’re definitely not alone. I understand that the speed of the game might still be a bit fast but I wanted to see Lias make “simple” plays where the Rangers at least are not worse of than prior to him getting involved. With minimal exceptions it never was a case. As you said it, more often than not the offense died on his stick, and to add defensive situations got worse.

Concerning but no reason to think that the situation didn’t revert with some maturation and further development.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Would have to agree with this. Just didn't show nearly enough to stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad