Anderson's year

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Cameron claims he doesnt know whats wrong and just lets the medical staff evaluate Anderson. He says once the medical staff clears him for practice then he starts getting updates on the injury and time frame for return.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The lack of injury disclosure in the NHL is a pet peeve of mine, as I think it is really disrespectful to the paying customers. We are asked to pay our money and emotionally invest in the game and the teams, but they won't give us any injury details on the players they want us to follow? Weak. The NFL gives full injury disclosure, and in fact fines teams who fudge on their injury report. If that's the standard for the most popular sports league in the world, why isn't it the standard for the NHL also? Right now, some fans are probably thinking Anderson is dogging it. That's ridiculous in my view, but that's what you are going to get without full disclosure on injuries.

Cameron is dead on regarding goalies coming back from injury also - you can't shelter a goalie's minutes, and a goalie can't adjust his style to compensate for an injury. He's completely exposed all the time.

Old school hockey.

When you know a guy in the wrong colour jersey is hurting - and where - that is like putting a bullseye on the injury. Horrible move if you're trying to protect the safety of your players on the ice.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a bit backwards in thinking here. You are a customer who pays to access a product. Your money gets you into a game, nothing more, nothing less. You are entitled to no more than the seat in the stands, and the quality of the on-ice product, let alone extra information about players, are not owed to you.

Like going to a movie, you can opt to never return, that is your voice as a customer, but you have no say in what goes on in the production studio, nor do you have a say in how the theatre chooses to run its operations, and nor does anyone feel entitled to any of that anyways. Some people choose to look at, and treat hockey differently, likely because of the emotional investment that being a fan involves.

Sometimes people seem to think that Melnyk takes their money and then goes and makes a team, builds a building, making the customer feel like they have actually financially invested in the product. This way of thinking is erroneous and leads to a false sense of entitlement we so often see.

The reality is that Melnyk invested vast sums of his own money to buy the team, and the arena, and pays players with his own money. We then come and pay to view the product of HIS investment. The only investment that we actually make is our time.

Obviously a better product and lots of player access makes the product more attractive, and this encourages people to become customers, like any business, but definitely, it is not owed. People feeling upset that they don't have disclosure pertaining to a player's injury really should apply some critical thought to the process; the advertising of the product, and the culture created around the product is very effective, so much so that you feel as though you are investing in it, being a part of it, which in the end makes it easier to part with your money. The NHL has a policy that they feel adds to the fan experience, and a better experience often means more customers.

The reality is that it is a company selling you a product, and professional sports works hard to create avid returning customers. This is fine, as there is definitely enjoyable returns on the expenditure of our time and money, but we should be careful when we start feeling like we are owed more than seats we buy, or the TV subscription we pay for, because in the end we are not, not at all, and any negative emotions that thinking this way cause, are wasted on a futile and essentially pointless struggle.

Unless of course fans petition the league to offer another service, full disclosure, and they choose to in order to expand the value-added experience. I for one don't see it happening as the NHLPA would not support forcing a universal change that could potentially render their members vulnerable when playing injured, or coming back from injury.

I know this isn't rocket science, but sometimes it's nice to have it all written out for easy consumption. I hope this doesn't come across as an attack on you personally Lari, It's not meant to be, but rather a personal commentary provoked by a small part of your post. :)

Hey, I don't take it personally at all. I just happen to disagree. :)

I believe that the League does, in fact, invite me as a fan to invest emotionally. This is not like taking out a GIC at the bank - they want my heart and soul as well as my wallet. I get that, because being a fan is ultimately a somewhat irrational choice when you analyze it. In exchange for that loyalty, though, I want full disclosure, within reason, of course, on injuries. Would it kill them to tell fans that Andy tore a ligament in his finger? No, of course not. Just the basic facts of the injury and expected timeline for return - I don't think that's a huge ask. Again, the NFL does it routinely.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I believe that the League does, in fact, invite me as a fan to invest emotionally. This is not like taking out a GIC at the bank - they want my heart and soul as well as my wallet. I get that, because being a fan is ultimately a somewhat irrational choice when you analyze it. In exchange for that loyalty, though, I want full disclosure, within reason, of course, on injuries. Would it kill them to tell fans that Andy tore a ligament in his finger? No, of course not. Just the basic facts of the injury and expected timeline for return - I don't think that's a huge ask. Again, the NFL does it routinely.

It is weird, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I mean we were told what was wrong with Bobby, but not Andy. There must be a reason, but what that reason is, is the question.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

The only reason they do it in the NFL I believe is how big gambling is for that sport. That's usually the largest argument for full disclosure - because oddsmakers need full disclosure to accurately work the books.

Because otherwise, especially for a goalie - full disclosure just means you're giving other teams a competitive advantage. Especially when its things like hands and wrists that can easily be slashed as 'part of the game'

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Not really. All teams in the NFL have to disclose is what condition a player is in: Available, Probable, Will-Not-Dress/Inactive. That's it. And teams like the Patriots have long made a mockery of that disclosure like how Bill Belichek has had Tom Brady listed as 'Probable' for the last 8 seasons straight.

It happens in all sports. No team wants to give any other team any competitive advantage and such is the case with injuries. Usually, it's only found out what's really wrong with a player when it's leaked to a journalist. Teams themselves, rarely confirm what is wrong.

Take what happened to Lundqvist lately. He was hurt, and no one knew what was wrong with him until it came out thru the press that his neck was injured. The Rangers didn't disclose anything until Henrik decided to give an interview about it.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It is weird, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I mean we were told what was wrong with Bobby, but not Andy. There must be a reason, but what that reason is, is the question.

Not last year we weren't. He played nearly the entire season with a serious groin injury. There were hints all season that something was wrong thru the media but nothing was confirmed until he had to have surgery for it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not last year we weren't. He played nearly the entire season with a serious groin injury. There were hints all season that something was wrong thru the media but nothing was confirmed until he had to have surgery for it.

Yup, which is why there is definitely reasoning behind what they choose to tell and not to tell. You definitely don't share details of an injury if the player is playing.

Some players may ask for privacy as well.

There is definitely a team policy one way or another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad