Anderson's year

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Just feel like bringing up some data for some sens fans to give some context to andy's performance this year. Not the be all and end all of stats since i believe most these save percentages are based on shot distance.

http://war-on-ice.com/goalietable.h...&playoffs=0&start1=2014-10-01&end1=2015-02-02

damn im not sure the link went to where it was suppose to go lol

All save percentage stats

Low danger shots andy ranks 14th in the league of players with 1000minutes 5v5 16th in all situations

Medium danger shots he ranks he ranks 6th 5 v 5 4th in all situations

High danger shots he ranks 12th 5 v 5 27th in all situations

Just felt like having a little fun. Of course these arent the be all and end all and its a fairly small sample size for some stats. I just wanted to bring some people's attention to some stats that i think they will enjoy.

5v5 5th overall all situations 5th overall

edit: fixed the data

Interesting that it would appear anderson struggles on high quality special teams shots.

Lehner appears to be the worst goalie at dealing with bad shots to play 1000 minutes
Lehner appears to be middle of the pack for medium quality shot
Lehner is actually slighly better at dealing with high quality shot then andy but they are basically the same

So basically it would appear bad goals are destroying lehner

Last edited:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
thanks for that :)

I would imagine that all goalies suffer from high quality special teams shots.

12th to 27th would appear to be the biggest drop off though or at least one the biggest drop offs.

Price goes from 8th ES to 8th all situations for example

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Anderson has had an up & down season playing well in some games & crappy in others. Unfortunately for both our goalies Methot was injured for a good part of the yr & our young defence did not help him much & our offence dried up in some games. While both have the potential to steal games it is quite rare that they do steal games maybe two or three per season. They always seem to let in some weak goals at inopportune times too. I would say that neither of them are great goalies but do have the occasional great game but are good or middle of the pack goalies at best at this time. Lehner has the potential to be great but there is no guarantee that he will ever fulfill that potential but he has another opportunity now with Anderson out short term to prove it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
IMO Anderson has had an up & down season playing well in some games & crappy in others. Unfortunately for both our goalies Methot was injured for a good part of the yr & our young defence did not help him much & our offence dried up in some games. While both have the potential to steal games it is quite rare that they do steal games maybe two or three per season. They always seem to let in some weak goals at inopportune times too. I would say that neither of them are great goalies but do have the occasional great game but are good or middle of the pack goalies at best at this time. Lehner has the potential to be great but there is no guarantee that he will ever fulfill that potential but he has another opportunity now with Anderson out short term to prove it.

Your posts make me sad :(

I remember 1 game he played poorly, and he got pulled. Andy has had a stellar season so far, and is one of the best starters in the league. Weird how we are so far apart in our assessments of our starting goalie. You must be a '2nd place is the first loser' type dude.

You just can't give Andy his dues and more that you can praise a player under 6 feet tall. You truly are a singular poster.

I agree with some things you say, but over all I just can't take anything you post seriously.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I think anderson steals tons of games. even in the colorado game where he was pulled all the goals were deflections or screens.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

....wat

Player Team Sv%
1 Calvin Pickard COL .936
2 Carey Price MTL .933
3 Pekka Rinne NSH .931
4 Craig Anderson OTT .927

If 4th in save percentage with our teams D isn't Andy having an up season, I dont know what is...

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Calgary and Colorado. The two games that stood out where Anderson played poorly. That's it.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
is Anderson coming back this season and will he get his #1 job back? Just wondering since the Sens probably won't make the playoffs. So many trade rumours out there too.....

WhiteLight*

Andy has bailed again. Good goalie, sometimes, but he bails. Not cool

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Andy has bailed again. Good goalie, sometimes, but he bails. Not cool

Goalies are different from skaters, though, in that they have to feel just "right" before playing. A defenceman or forward can go with a sore ankle, bad shoulder, etc., and just play through it. Goalies can't do that, as every small movement means so much to their game. On top of that, Andy is generally a slow healer - he was slow coming back from his unfortunate kitchen mishap, slow coming back from the ankle injury, and now slow coming back from what appeared to be a very minor hand injury.

WhiteLight*

Goalies are different from skaters, though, in that they have to feel just "right" before playing. A defenceman or forward can go with a sore ankle, bad shoulder, etc., and just play through it. Goalies can't do that, as every small movement means so much to their game. On top of that, Andy is generally a slow healer - he was slow coming back from his unfortunate kitchen mishap, slow coming back from the ankle injury, and now slow coming back from what appeared to be a very minor hand injury.

The coming back slowly is what I have an issue with. It's weird

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Jesus. Andy has never bailed on us, and for more game than I can count he was the only guy in a Sens jersey to show and play.

If we needed him he would play, like if we were in the playoffs. Right now he has said that he can't hold his stick properly, which is pretty important for his game, and there is no rush to get him back and risk further injury because:

A) we're not making the playoffs,
B) this is a great opportunity for Lehner to get some games in with a legitimate reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteLight*

Jesus. Andy has never bailed on us, and for more game than I can count he was the only guy in a Sens jersey to show and play.

If we needed him he would play, like if we were in the playoffs. Right now he has said that he can't hold his stick properly, which is pretty important for his game, and there is no rush to get him back and risk further injury because:

A) we're not making the playoffs,
B) this is a great opportunity for Lehner to get some games in with a legitimate reason.

Every year he has a mysterious injury under mysterious circumstances down the stretch, taking a ridiculous amount of time to get back, weeks after he is scheduled to. Effectively bailing on a team in the hunt for the playoffs. Did it in Colorado too

Last edited by a moderator:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Every year he has a mysterious injury under mysterious circumstances down the stretch, taking a ridiculous amount of time to get back, weeks after he is scheduled to. Effectively bailing on a team in the hunt for the playoffs. Did it in Colorado too

Are you implying you'd rather he rush back without feeling like he's ready?

Sorry, MAK, but this is a ridiculous tack to take. He's a professional athlete with a clearly high competitive edge. Nobody in those shoes deliberately sits games they could be playing in. And the "mysterious circumstances" bit sure sounds like you think his injuries are less than legitimate — if that were the case, why make up a story as ridiculous as slicing a finger while cooking chicken?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Let's just remind anyone reading this that this was written by the fan boyziest of Lehner fan boys. I understand doing whatever you can to "boost" your guy, especially after a season where a good chunk of fans have turned on the poor kid but this is the dumbest stance to take.

There are no mysterious injuries.

1) He did slice his hand open. My friend was at the hospital that night and texted me the minute it happened. I was going to post it on this board but someone beat me to it. Not only that, but I can add it was Mark Reeds that actually drove him to the hospital.

2) He got hurt when Chris Kreider ran into him and blew his ankle out. You know, the same Chris Kreider that "accidentally" ran into Carey Price in the playoffs last year.

3) Last year, he had two concussions. The second one came late in the season and when you already had one, it makes the second one worse. He still came back and finished the season.

As for the Colorado BS you're insinuating, his idiot head coach rushed him back from injury, then benched him for Peter Budaj, all in his contract year. Management was screwing with him so it reflected on his on-ice play. Ryan O'Reilly's dad wrote about how awful they treated him. Since he's gotten here, he's been happy with how's he's been treated. Why would he "bail"?

One of the most ridiculous takes I've seen on this board. If you're going to throw out something as stupid as "he bailed" you better provide us a better explanation than the crap you're currently peddling.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Let's just remind anyone reading this that this was written by the fan boyziest of Lehner fan boys. I understand doing whatever you can to "boost" your guy, especially after a season where a good chunk of fans have turned on the poor kid but this is the dumbest stance to take.

There are no mysterious injuries.

1) He did slice his hand open. My friend was at the hospital that night and texted me the minute it happened. I was going to post it on this board but someone beat me to it. Not only that, but I can add it was Mark Reeds that actually drove him to the hospital.

2) He got hurt when Chris Kreider ran into him and blew his ankle out. You know, the same Chris Kreider that "accidentally" ran into Carey Price in the playoffs last year.

3) Last year, he had two concussions. The second one came late in the season and when you already had one, it makes the second one worse. He still came back and finished the season.

As for the Colorado BS you're insinuating, his idiot head coach rushed him back from injury, then benched him for Peter Budaj, all in his contract year. Management was screwing with him so it reflected on his on-ice play. Ryan O'Reilly's dad wrote about how awful they treated him. Since he's gotten here, he's been happy with how's he's been treated. Why would he "bail"?

One of the most ridiculous takes I've seen on this board. If you're going to throw out something as stupid as "he bailed" you better provide us a better explanation than the crap you're currently peddling.

You're so wrong.

He didn't get hurt from a slapshot to the catching hand; It's a mystery, and we're in the hunt for the playoffs; another mystery.

Get it straight.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not much for conspiracy theories, and I agree that anyone who makes the NHL is a proud competitor who would rather be on the ice than in the trainer's room.

I think what you are seeing with Anderson is a little bit of what Marc Crawford once said about Marcus Naslund when he said, "Marcus is a guy who is very particular about the way he feels." The media interpreted that to mean that, "Marcus is soft", but it's more nuanced than that. Some elite athletes are just very "in tune with their bodies", if you will, and are more affected by injury than others.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

????

How are his injuries mysterious? For the most part we know every injury he sustained. He did not bail on the team in colorado. Colorado was the worst defensive team in the league and their bad defenseive play caught up with them. Goalies can't save every shot

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Are you implying you'd rather he rush back without feeling like he's ready?

Sorry, MAK, but this is a ridiculous tack to take. He's a professional athlete with a clearly high competitive edge. Nobody in those shoes deliberately sits games they could be playing in. And the "mysterious circumstances" bit sure sounds like you think his injuries are less than legitimate — if that were the case, why make up a story as ridiculous as slicing a finger while cooking chicken?

There were many rumours he bailed on Colorado when they would not give him a new contract and his play suffered.
He had a weird kitchen injury, unheard of, while allegedly cutting chicken "at night" Frozen chicken at that.
This year he has another hand injury.

As for the competitive edge...it's there for sure, but so is the "Jesus look" of slumping the shoulders and looking skyward when he feels a bad goal has been scored. Rare are the opportunities when he shakes it off, then stops puck after puck after puck after a bad goal. Good goalie to be sure but Lehner will take us far...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad