Anderson's year

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Anderson hasn't played in a ton of games so far and he is 3rd in save percentage right now.

Reminds me of the 2012-2013 season when he was 1st in save percentage and he stayed in 1st for the whole season even though he got injured.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Lehner starting again wow, cmon Andy

I love this board. Anderson starts consecutive games, people complain that he's hurting our playoff position and Lehner should be getting the bulk of the starts because he needs it.

Lehner gets consecutive starts and is rounding into form...? Well that just means Anderson quit on the team.

Anderson isn't starting because there is no reason for him to start. The team is essentially done for the year so why bother rushing him back into the line-up? Heck, if Lehner started every game for the rest of the year, I'd have no complaints because then we'd have a great idea of what he's capable of going forward.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I love this board. Anderson starts consecutive games, people complain that he's hurting our playoff position and Lehner should be getting the bulk of the starts because he needs it.

Lehner gets consecutive starts and is rounding into form...? Well that just means Anderson quit on the team.

Anderson isn't starting because there is no reason for him to start. The team is essentially done for the year so why bother rushing him back into the line-up? Heck, if Lehner started every game for the rest of the year, I'd have no complaints because then we'd have a great idea of what he's capable of going forward.

I think people are upset that Andy's been here for 4 years, and has missed a solid amount time with an injury every single year. He also missed time his last year in Colorado. Tough to know for sure if they're just being cautious since they're out of it, or if he's just fragile. I'm guessing it's both.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think they are in no rush now that Lehner seems to be getting into the groove of things

Lehner was just awful for quite a stretch, it's a relief to see him find his game again

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I think people are upset that Andy's been here for 4 years, and has missed a solid amount time with an injury every single year. He also missed time his last year in Colorado. Tough to know for sure if they're just being cautious since they're out of it, or if he's just fragile. I'm guessing it's both.

But that's total nonsense.

His first full year with Ottawa, he played 63 games. That is normal.

Second year - 24 games in the lockout year. Still more than half but that was the infamous frozen chicken incident and Chris Kreider (goalie killer) taking out his ankle.

Third year - 53 games. That's 10 less than what the average NHL starter does and that was because he suffered two concussions in the span of one year.

Fourth year - 31 games so far. And he's only missed 7 games due to injury thus far. The rest were starts that have been given to Lehner to increase his workload. Maclean was running both equally before Cameron gave the ball to Anderson.

I don't think there's some giant conspiracy afoot. Goalies get hurt. It's a dangerous position and injuries happen frequently.

In that same time frame, Lundqvist has played 63, 42, 63, and now he's at 39 and probably done til the playoffs because of his throat injury.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Second year - 24 games in the lockout year. Still more than half but that was the infamous frozen chicken incident and Chris Kreider (goalie killer) taking out his ankle.

Third year - 53 games. That's 10 less than what the average NHL starter does and that was because he suffered two concussions in the span of one year.

Fourth year - 31 games so far. And he's only missed 7 games due to injury thus far. The rest were starts that have been given to Lehner to increase his workload. Maclean was running both equally before Cameron gave the ball to Anderson.

I don't think there's some giant conspiracy afoot. Goalies get hurt. It's a dangerous position and injuries happen frequently.

In that same time frame, Lundqvist has played 63, 42, 63, and now he's at 39 and probably done til the playoffs because of his throat injury.

Anderson does come off as slightly fragile, but he's certainly no Pascal Leclaire.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

I can't speak for others but I have been frustrated by his fragility at times, seems like his injuries always keep him out for longer than first anticipated, and they happen every year. Here's his year to year games missed with injury:
2010-11: 12
2011-12: 12
2012-13: 18
2013-14: 7
2014-15: 7 and counting

So he's missing 11 games per year with injuries. Calling it total nonsense is an exaggeration. You're also off on when his injuries happened [knife injury was in his first full year here] but that's not the concern here I suppose. Regardless of whether you think these injuries are fluky, they happen to him every year.

Lundqvist was also a bad comparison, he's made 57 more starts over the last 5 years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can't speak for others but I have been frustrated by his fragility at times, seems like his injuries always keep him out for longer than first anticipated, and they happen every year. Here's his year to year games missed with injury:

So he's missing 11 games per year with injuries. Calling it total nonsense is an exaggeration. You're also off on when his injuries happened [knife injury was in his first full year here] but that's not the concern here I suppose. Regardless of whether you think these injuries are fluky, they happen to him every year.

Lundqvist was also a bad comparison, he's made 57 more starts over the last 5 years.

Well, you have to factor in the rotating starts here in Ottawa to start the year, and you're likely now looking at about 40-45 games over 5 years. That's less than 10 games a season difference between Andy and arguably the best goalie in the league, on a team that dose not have a young blue chipper needing occasional starts.

Really not worth mentioning in my books...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

You also have to factor in that we've relied on Lehner more then most teams rely on their back ups.

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Let's see him back for some games, c'mon, how is he going to work on his trade value if he doesn't play..

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

Well, you have to factor in the rotating starts here in Ottawa to start the year, and you're likely now looking at about 40-45 games over 5 years. That's less than 10 games a season difference between Andy and arguably the best goalie in the league, on a team that dose not have a young blue chipper needing occasional starts.

Really not worth mentioning in my books...

Lundqvist has had capable backups in the last 4-5 years, that's why he hasn't been playing 70+ games like before, so even though he is one of the best, he hasn't been playing every game like your 'best goalie in the league' comment might have some assume. Plus, 10 starts more per season is quite a bit for a goalie.

Anyway, my comment wasn't even so much about how many starts he's missing but the fact that he's missing time to injuries every single year. I get that we have a capable young backup, I'm just saying Andy gets hurt every year, it's a part of who he is. Don't expect that to change. And it's okay for people to be frustrated by this, just as Spezza's fragility was always annoying.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wish the Sens would be more specific on what type of hand injury he has. It seems like it is really serious being that has already missed a lot of games so far and he won't play tomorrow either.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I wish the Sens would be more specific on what type of hand injury he has. It seems like it is really serious being that has already missed a lot of games so far and he won't play tomorrow either.

I don't think it's that serious. He's practicing (even if it's without a stick). Teams don't disclose injuries any more but I am going to guess Kessel's shot caught him right on his fingers while he was holding his stick so he's dealing with a small fracture. Not earth-shattering but it makes it impossible to hold a goalie stick firmly.

Bobby's finger injury is on the hand that holds the end of the stick. He can work around that. Goalies only hold the stick with one hand so it's very hard to do.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don't think it's that serious. He's practicing (even if it's without a stick). Teams don't disclose injuries any more but I am going to guess Kessel's shot caught him right on his fingers while he was holding his stick so he's dealing with a small fracture. Not earth-shattering but it makes it impossible to hold a goalie stick firmly.

Bobby's finger injury is on the hand that holds the end of the stick. He can work around that. Goalies only hold the stick with one hand so it's very hard to do.

I do wish teams would disclose injuries more.

These vague statements such as hand injury, upper body injury or lower injury doesn't help at all.

I understand though why teams rarely do it though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dave Cameron made a good point in his post-game presser about how it's a lot harder to get goalies back into the line-up because you can't monitor their play on a shift-by-shift basis.

They pretty much have to be 100% or close to it because you can't shelter their ice time.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The lack of injury disclosure in the NHL is a pet peeve of mine, as I think it is really disrespectful to the paying customers. We are asked to pay our money and emotionally invest in the game and the teams, but they won't give us any injury details on the players they want us to follow? Weak. The NFL gives full injury disclosure, and in fact fines teams who fudge on their injury report. If that's the standard for the most popular sports league in the world, why isn't it the standard for the NHL also? Right now, some fans are probably thinking Anderson is dogging it. That's ridiculous in my view, but that's what you are going to get without full disclosure on injuries.

Cameron is dead on regarding goalies coming back from injury also - you can't shelter a goalie's minutes, and a goalie can't adjust his style to compensate for an injury. He's completely exposed all the time.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The lack of injury disclosure in the NHL is a pet peeve of mine, as I think it is really disrespectful to the paying customers. We are asked to pay our money and emotionally invest in the game and the teams, but they won't give us any injury details on the players they want us to follow? Weak. The NFL gives full injury disclosure, and in fact fines teams who fudge on their injury report. If that's the standard for the most popular sports league in the world, why isn't it the standard for the NHL also? Right now, some fans are probably thinking Anderson is dogging it. That's ridiculous in my view, but that's what you are going to get without full disclosure on injuries.

Cameron is dead on regarding goalies coming back from injury also - you can't shelter a goalie's minutes, and a goalie can't adjust his style to compensate for an injury. He's completely exposed all the time.

Well judging how long Anderson has been out for, he must have fractured his hand.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Well judging how long Anderson has been out for, he must have fractured his hand.

Dean Brown slipped on the radio and said he "thinks" he tore ligaments in his hand. Dean knows more than we do being around the team so he may have revealed what is actually wrong.

If it's torn ligaments, timeframe for that is usually 3-6 weeks.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

This is a bit backwards in thinking here. You are a customer who pays to access a product. Your money gets you into a game, nothing more, nothing less. You are entitled to no more than the seat in the stands, and the quality of the on-ice product, let alone extra information about players, are not owed to you.

Like going to a movie, you can opt to never return, that is your voice as a customer, but you have no say in what goes on in the production studio, nor do you have a say in how the theatre chooses to run its operations, and nor does anyone feel entitled to any of that anyways. Some people choose to look at, and treat hockey differently, likely because of the emotional investment that being a fan involves.

Sometimes people seem to think that Melnyk takes their money and then goes and makes a team, builds a building, making the customer feel like they have actually financially invested in the product. This way of thinking is erroneous and leads to a false sense of entitlement we so often see.

The reality is that Melnyk invested vast sums of his own money to buy the team, and the arena, and pays players with his own money. We then come and pay to view the product of HIS investment. The only investment that we actually make is our time.

Obviously a better product and lots of player access makes the product more attractive, and this encourages people to become customers, like any business, but definitely, it is not owed. People feeling upset that they don't have disclosure pertaining to a player's injury really should apply some critical thought to the process; the advertising of the product, and the culture created around the product is very effective, so much so that you feel as though you are investing in it, being a part of it, which in the end makes it easier to part with your money. The NHL has a policy that they feel adds to the fan experience, and a better experience often means more customers.

The reality is that it is a company selling you a product, and professional sports works hard to create avid returning customers. This is fine, as there is definitely enjoyable returns on the expenditure of our time and money, but we should be careful when we start feeling like we are owed more than seats we buy, or the TV subscription we pay for, because in the end we are not, not at all, and any negative emotions that thinking this way cause, are wasted on a futile and essentially pointless struggle.

Unless of course fans petition the league to offer another service, full disclosure, and they choose to in order to expand the value-added experience. I for one don't see it happening as the NHLPA would not support forcing a universal change that could potentially render their members vulnerable when playing injured, or coming back from injury.

I know this isn't rocket science, but sometimes it's nice to have it all written out for easy consumption. I hope this doesn't come across as an attack on you personally Lari, It's not meant to be, but rather a personal commentary provoked by a small part of your post. :)

Last edited:

mtxed

Aug 17, 2007
Why does a non-playoff team need to hide information? That I just do not understand..

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why does a non-playoff team need to hide information? That I just do not understand..

They don't have to, they choose to, and I suspect it could be for any number of valid reasons.

- the player may want some privacy pertaining to the injury

- they may not know exactly what the issue is at the moment

- they may not want injury information being used as target info by other teams, teams who still are fighting for playoffs

- team policy may just be not to disclose certain types or all injury specifics as a general rule

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad