Speculation: Andersen doesn’t look even Tradable but....

Should Dubas trade Andersen

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Would be very unwise to trade your number one goalie at this point of the season. It definitely would send the wrong message to the team.

Big no from me.
Well it depends. Usually that’s not ideal, but I think it’s very obvious the players have lost faith in Freddy. So acquiring someone they can hopefully trust and depend on would do wonders for this team.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Andy would be an upgrade on a number of teams, and his salary is desirable.

Still, need to ensure Campbell is healthy and ready to run with the a starter's workload before we trade Andersen. Because as solid as Hutch has been, I'm not gambling this season on him having to play a significant amount.

Reactions: Menzinger and Cams

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
To put a value on a trade deadline goalie acquisition.

Little known fact.
We traded Robin Lehner at the trade deadline last year to Vegas for a 5th round pick.
Wouldnt a trade like that be sweet...

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If the belief internally is that Freddie is not the goalie to lead this team to the promised land, then they can't - and I think won't - wait until the off-season to make something happen.

The Leafs have an opportunity this year that won't happen again (The North division) and guys like Big Joe and Simmonds were brought in because management recognizes that. To let it all hang on the prayer that Freddie will hold it together for a full playoff run?

Or put it this way, if the leafs don't make the final four, getting bounced by any of these relatively weak North teams, with Freddie looking average at best, isn't that pretty much it for Dubas? And shouldn't it be?

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
To put a value on a trade deadline goalie acquisition.

Little known fact.
We traded Robin Lehner at the trade deadline last year to Vegas for a 5th round pick.
Wouldnt a trade like that be sweet...
Should have sent them Andersen "by mistake". Maybe they wouldn't have noticed.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If the belief internally is that Freddie is not the goalie to lead this team to the promised land, then they can't - and I think won't - wait until the off-season to make something happen.

The Leafs have an opportunity this year that won't happen again (The North division) and guys like Big Joe and Simmonds were brought in because management recognizes that. To let it all hang on the prayer that Freddie will hold it together for a full playoff run?

Or put it this way, if the leafs don't make the final four, getting bounced by any of these relatively weak North teams, with Freddie looking average at best, isn't that pretty much it for Dubas? And shouldn't it be?
Exactly my thinking. If any season is the season to go all in, this would be it.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He was an RFA that signed a 1 year deal last year, upcoming UFA playing in an awful organization. I don’t think there’s any chance he stays.
I think they will pay him. Never know. He’s LTIR now. I’m not sure what’s his injury.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I have been a Freddy fan 100% all in for his whole Leaf journey...mark the day March 10 2021 and I could be persueded otherwise.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I have been a Freddy fan 100% all in for his whole Leaf journey...mark the day March 10 2021 and I could be persueded otherwise.
I have too. He looks like one of the weak links now. Actually he’s been popping links for quite a bit now.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Exactly my thinking. If any season is the season to go all in, this would be it.

I don't know about trading Andersen (I certainly have some concerns), but I would agree with the idea that this is the year (divisional focus & structure right through the first two rounds of the playoffs).

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
It's tough for a team going for it this year (Leafs) to trade your #1. You'd have to have another goalie coming back....plus...do we know Campbell can be a top end #1? I'd like to think so. This year is turning out to be the opposite of what was planned. Andersen was supposed to have reduced work load - but Campbell gets hurt long term, then Freddy gets hurt, so that plan goes out the window.

Yet, you risk letting him walk and getting nothing back. If they aren't a playoff team, then you for sure move him. I've said this before...you don't sell of pending UFA for futures when you are going for a playoff run. That is a perpetual rebuild, not saying anyone is suggesting that. I've seen it so many times on here or even with fellow Leafs fans I know personally.......they want to go for it, but then to want to "get something" for a guy like JVR, Bozak, etc.....

Along with expansion draft coming up, you also have the hindrance of another flat cap next season right......

One more thing - a few posts above mention the team losing faith in Andersen.....if that was so, wouldn't they play tighter D in front of him?

Reactions: NikoEhlers

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's tough for a team going for it this year (Leafs) to trade your #1. You'd have to have another goalie coming back....plus...do we know Campbell can be a top end #1? I'd like to think so. This year is turning out to be the opposite of what was planned. Andersen was supposed to have reduced work load - but Campbell gets hurt long term, then Freddy gets hurt, so that plan goes out the window.

Yet, you risk letting him walk and getting nothing back. If they aren't a playoff team, then you for sure move him. I've said this before...you don't sell of pending UFA for futures when you are going for a playoff run. That is a perpetual rebuild, not saying anyone is suggesting that. I've seen it so many times on here or even with fellow Leafs fans I know personally.......they want to go for it, but then to want to "get something" for a guy like JVR, Bozak, etc.....

Along with expansion draft coming up, you also have the hindrance of another flat cap next season right......

One more thing - a few posts above mention the team losing faith in Andersen.....if that was so, wouldn't they play tighter D in front of him?
To the bolded, stats show Leafs have played better defensively in front of Freddy then Hutch or Jack, yet Freddy has been worse then both.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Sports are so mental, if you feel like you're working your ass off for your goals and your goalie constantly gives them right back the first time you give up a chance against, i can see how it wouldn't motivate some people to play harder.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sports are so mental, if you feel like you're working your ass off for your goals and your goalie constantly gives them right back the first time you give up a chance against, i can see how it wouldn't motivate some people to play harder.
It p!sses you off and steals your focus and momentum and confidence. Maybe that was just me :)

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I, like most on this board have lost faith in Freddy being our starter past this year. I think he's been really good in his tenure. Unfortunately he seems to battle injury every year, even when he is playing it always sounds like something is lingering. He has the ability to be a show stopper, but those days are becoming fewer and farther between. In his first couple seasons, they were almost a sure thing. That said, Fred leaving needs to be staged as a business decision, not a personnel decision. Our generational Franchise Centremen is very good friends with Fred, and our most well liked player Jumbo specifically mentioned Freddy being one of the reasons why he came to Toronto. This team can win it all with Freddy, the last 3 games were just unlucky. We were the better team in arguably all 3 games, and walked away with 0 points. The narrative behind those losses were "well their goalie was better than ours" . Which is totally true. But were Hutch/Andy that bad??? Sure they could have been better, and when you see the guy on the other side making 10 bell saves you really want that that out of them. But the goaltending we have faced the last 3 games has been out of this world. At the end of the day, you ride Freddy till the end of the year, shake his hand and thank him for his time...and move on. Find a running mate for Jack, and split the cage for a year. See if Jack can handle more than 30 games, which I totally suspect he will be able to

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
After his last stint with the Leafs I can't believe we are now considering Hutch in tandem with anybody.

I can't disagree. To give credit where it's due, he's been good so far this season. I'd fear there's a games limit to that though and a Campbell/Hutch tandem would be stretching those limits.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If there’s a time to make a move to acquire a goaltender it would be between these next 3 days. We only play 5 games over the 2 week quarantine period.
Lol do you do the trade and hold your breath with Hutch for those 5 games if Campbell isn't back soon?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we re-signed Andersen it would have to be for a lower cap hit and on a short term basis. Or maybe we just get a Jake Allen or Korpisalo at a lower dollar amount to platoon with someone like Campbell.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad