Player Discussion: Anders Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
'Wasn't as bad" doesn't make me want to go six seven or eight years.

And the Tavares thing has to make you think...
I think you guys misinterpreted my original post. I said I don’t feel good about Lee resigning with the islanders. Memories are short and some GM will offer him big money. His post tavares drop off was not as bad as his predecessors. I think Lee will get a monster deal from another team, and that’s why i think, he’s not coming back.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think you guys misinterpreted my original post. I said I don’t feel good about Lee resigning with the islanders. Memories are short and some GM will offer him big money. His post tavares drop off was not as bad as his predecessors. I think Lee will get a monster deal from another team, and that’s why i think, he’s not coming back.

The danger is if some team thinks its one piece away from the Stanley Cup and that piece is at Lee's position. That's when teams overpay.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I think Lee will get a monster deal from another team, and that’s why i think, he’s not coming back.

I'm not sure why, but lately I've been guessing too high on contracts. Players seem to be getting less than a lot of people forecasted. Same thing with trades, good players not being exchanged for what I would have guessed. Unless you're Tavares or Stone, teams don't seem to be throwing money around like a few years ago. If some team outbids the Isles I can't imagine it being much higher or longer.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The danger is if some team thinks its one piece away from the Stanley Cup and that piece is at Lee's position. That's when teams overpay.

Only one contender has interest in Lee and that’s Nashville and I believe that’s secondary interest only if Duchene says no. The other teams I’ve heard are Chicago Minnesota Montreal and none are contenders. As a matter of fact two are in deep trouble and need major overhauls

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
The more things change, the more they remain the same.
This is Lee's prime and he was a non factor in 8 playoff games.

He's a solid player, but he's not Bedsheet Boy. You shouldn't have an unlimited budget for him.

If some bozo, like the Minnesota GM, offers him like 7 years, $50M, there's just no way we should match. It will make things hard for us next year, but it's much healthier long term.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I'm not sure why, but lately I've been guessing too high on contracts. Players seem to be getting less than a lot of people forecasted. Same thing with trades, good players not being exchanged for what I would have guessed. Unless you're Tavares or Stone, teams don't seem to be throwing money around like a few years ago. If some team outbids the Isles I can't imagine it being much higher or longer.
Or Kevin Hayes. I could see Minnesota throwing a max contact at Lee. Even though last time they brought one of their boys home, it backfired.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Or Kevin Hayes. I could see Minnesota throwing a max contact at Lee. Even though last time they brought one of their boys home, it backfired.

Yeah you’d think Minnesota would have learned but they’ve been rumored for months to be on him and Nelson had he made it to 7-1

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can just hear it in a front office meeting about Lee

"We don't want to get Moulsoned here"
With LL and BT there is more NHL decision making experience in the room than any other GM/coach tandem in the league. They don't need to go into dysfunctional Isles history to know where the landmines are. They may not even know who Matt Moulson is and knowing Lou, the office staff may not even be allowed to talk about anything that happened before May 22, 2018. No facial hair and no Isles history, those are the rules. For them, there is only the future. You know how much Lou really cares about Isles history, even of the positive variety? He tried to do away with The Nystrom Award.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Facebook is up in arms over Lee. What did I miss?

And for that matter...should I care?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

For the record, 9 less points and 12 goals less than the year before. Keep in mind, the team as a whole scored 38 less goals than the prior season, and gave up 98 less goals than the year before. The emphasis was clearly on team defense, and with that understanding, I don't know how anyone can call Lee's regular season performance "disappointing".

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
For the record, 9 less points and 12 goals less than the year before. Keep in mind, the team as a whole scored 38 less goals than the prior season, and gave up 98 less goals than the year before. The emphasis was clearly on team defense, and with that understanding, I don't know how anyone can call Lee's regular season performance "disappointing".
His regular season wasn't disappointing, but it wasn't mind blowing.
His playoff was disappointing, which is what matters...

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
His regular season wasn't disappointing, but it wasn't mind blowing.
His playoff was disappointing, which is what matters...

Offensively, who's performance was mind-blowing this season? We can easily say that Barzal regressed because he didn't approach the numbers from his rookie season. Yet, no one is stating that.

And yes, his playoff performance was not great, which is why I emphasized "regular season" in my post.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Hey, if you have another definition of loyalty, I'm all ears

I think "loyalty" in this context would amount to giving Lou the ability to match any ridiculous offer he gets from another team, or at least come close to it. Lee eating shit on a deal from the Islanders just to stay isn't loyalty, it's stupidity.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I think "loyalty" in this context would amount to giving Lou the ability to match any ridiculous offer he gets from another team, or at least come close to it. Lee eating **** on a deal from the Islanders just to stay isn't loyalty, it's stupidity.
While Lehner basically says he doesnt care what the deal looks like. So again, he pumped his chest out that he was this loyal guy, and we saw Nelson and Eberle take lesser deals to stay with the team, while Lee wants to stand his ground.

I mean, honestly, I'm messing around about the loyalty. I'm not holding Lee to that, and Lee has every right to try and receive what he feels he deserves.

However, in the same breath, there is something to be said to at least three players (if you include Lehner) who have fully bought in...

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A new assistant coach to run the power play might result in 5 more goals for Lee. Then he's over 30 goals again and nobody is complaining about his dip in production.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just saying, Lehner blatantly says hes not even listening to other teams, and Mr. Loyalty has zero issue hearing other teams offers....
If you want loyalty buy a dog. This is business. The players are in the business of making the most money they can and using whatever leverage they have. Lou Lamoriello is in the business of making the Islanders better than the year before.

For the record I want Lehner back because I think he's better than Varlamov or any of the other UFA goalies. I want Lee back because I don't see a UFA coming here who will replace his 102 goals the last 3 years, and while I would take a swing at offer sheeting Marner, I think it's a pipe dream that Toronto doesn't match and retain him.

Reactions: crasherino

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
If you want loyalty buy a dog. This is business. The players are in the business of making the most money they can and using whatever leverage they have. Lou Lamoriello is in the business of making the Islanders better than the year before.
Lmao what?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Lmao what?
I added to my post. But after last year's debacle with the Rattlesnake, anyone who is holding out for loyalty from either side is looking for unicorn and rainbows. Loyalty a nice narrative and a feelgood story but at the end of the day I'd let a player go if I could replace him with a better player.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Just saying, Lehner blatantly says hes not even listening to other teams, and Mr. Loyalty has zero issue hearing other teams offers....

I love the Isles too but if my negotiations are going into me being a UFA I need to keep all options open so that I don't get taken advantage of only negotiating with one team.

Lehner too. He said the Isles are his only team at this point. 1 week from today that won't be the case.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I added to my post. But after last year's debacle with the Rattlesnake, anyone who is holding out for loyalty from either side is looking for unicorn and rainbows. Loyalty a nice narrative and a feelgood story but at the end of the day I'd let a player go if I could replace him with a better player.

There is no loyalty anymore. Loyalty lasts as long as a contract. This isn't the same league as it was in the 70's and 80's.

You want loyalty stick to college sports. The NHL player's are about as loyal to their franchises as NBA players.

The Leafs are learning that the hard way with Marner.

Reactions: MJF and PWJunior
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad