Player Discussion: Anders Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Reactionary a bit for me off the Strome thread but just as infuriating.

What the hell is wrong with this kid. I haven't watched closely this year so I can't get a full analysis so that's why I am creating the discussion. Now I see Lee as an ideal complimentary player, a player with a skill set every team needs. What is his damn deal? 1G and 1A in 16 games.

This is reminiscent to me of Blake Comeau when he had the 20 goal year and then went pointless and waived after 16.

When you watch that highlight reel I don't get why we aren't seeing that same player.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Lee needs to play with good players.

Isles have Tavares and every other forward kinda sucks. Just a reality.

If all the forwards need better players to help their production then let's just face it, they suck.

If the only chance for players to produce is Tavares, then it's a warranted last place team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's not getting the same opportunity and he isn't very good at anything other than crashing the net and corners. Similar to Moulson, except an even worse skater. The lack of PP time isn't helping is production any either.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
how could every player regress like this and not improve .... damn ... it's like these guys didn't train in the offseason and skipped training camp ... Lee can't even connect a pass ...smh

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
how could every player regress like this and not improve .... damn ... it's like these guys didn't train in the offseason and skipped training camp ... Lee can't even connect a pass ...smh

Either the players weren't good enough to begin with, they weren't developed properly, or they are not responding to the coaches.

Either way it's bad bad bad mojo for the GM & Coach. thankfully this will be the last year of both of them.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Jack+Capuano+7L7J4n6P-OYm.jpg

"Women want me, coaches want to be me. YEAH BABY."

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
He's the worst player on the team honestly. He's certainly the least talented by a long shot. He has no strengths to his game minus size and grit and its nowhere near enough. Reason he was scratched in the playoffs two years ago.

We have at least 4 offensive players that we would easily be better without. Tough to win with a talentless team.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Lee is the kind of player that needs ideal conditions to excel.
I do not agree that he has no skills or abilities, but he either doesn't use them correctly or is being encouraged by the coaching staff to play a game he is not really suited for.

Anders has a good wrist shot but as has been pointed out, he is most useful as a scorer around the crease. He has a decent set of hands but not as good as Moulson. What he is doing or is being encouraged to do is spend too much time trying to play a skating forward instead of always heading to the crease. But more than that, Lee does not have his stick on the ice when he is around the crease.
He is not in tight enough and his stick is in the air. We do not have a team that gets the puck to the net very often, but when we do, he is not prepared to deflect or score in close. That is his game and he is not using it, he is trying to skate along the wall and play around the dots.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I admittedly am the biggest Lee supporter on this board. IMO he needs players who are going to shoot the puck so he can either deflect it in the slot or pounce on a rebound. This team is all about perimeter passing until the inevitable turnover. He's not a 200ft player, he will work the corners and park his big can in front. Every good team needs that, as he occupies space in front of the goalie and draw attention by a defenseman. Unfortunately the Cappy system doesn't work (for anyone).

It's shocking that Snow and now our new owners don't see regression of every young player and not put that on the coaches.

Last edited:

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
He's the worst player on the team honestly. He's certainly the least talented by a long shot. He has no strengths to his game minus size and grit and its nowhere near enough. Reason he was scratched in the playoffs two years ago.

We have at least 4 offensive players that we would easily be better without. Tough to win with a talentless team.
The reason to scratch him two games in a row in the playoffs two years ago for Colin McDonald was quite dumb by Capuano.

Like Strome, Lee was very good in his 1st full season in the NHL, and since than, he just seems to regressed. Lee had some good performance playing with Nelson and Strome, and playing with Tavares and Bailey/Strome in the past. And he has to play more on the PP for him to be the most useful for this team.

According to the practice line two days ago, it seems that Lee is going to play with Quine and Chimera tonight. I personally don't expect much from Lee playing with these players. And I don't think he is going to have that much of a great ice time too.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Another problem for Lee is that Ladd plays a similar net presence on the PP. This further diminishes his PP ice time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At this point, I'm not sure if playing with Tavares would have any material impact on his game.

Like Strome, he appears to be just a shell of himself from two years ago.

Just to give you a little perspective, in 2014-2015, Lee scored 25 goals in 76 games. 17 of those goals were scored at 5 on 5. In 2015-2016, Lee scored 15 goals in 80 games, with 6 of them being scored at 5 on 5. (Also, the Islanders only scored 13 more goals at 5 on 5 in 2014-2015). That's a major drop in even strength production

I feel like the narrative around here is that Lee is struggling because Capuano refuses to use him on the powerplay (which I agree, doesn't help), but the numbers suggest Lee mightily struggles at 5 on 5 these days.

I just wish we can see this team under a new coach, preferably from outside of the organization, or at the very least Brent Thompson. Just to know if Capuano is literal **** at deployment, or if these players are really not as good as they appear to be. Oh well.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Another problem for Lee is that Ladd plays a similar net presence on the PP. This further diminishes his PP ice time.
Ladd has a net presence in PP? Didnt notice that yet! But Ladd has been take out of the 1st PP unit for some games now and was not replace by Lee.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
At this point, I'm not sure if playing with Tavares would have any material impact on his game.

Like Strome, he appears to be just a shell of himself from two years ago.

Just to give you a little perspective, in 2014-2015, Lee scored 25 goals in 76 games. 17 of those goals were scored at 5 on 5. In 2015-2016, Lee scored 15 goals in 80 games, with 6 of them being scored at 5 on 5. (Also, the Islanders only scored 13 more goals at 5 on 5 in 2014-2015). That's a major drop in even strength production

I feel like the narrative around here is that Lee is struggling because Capuano refuses to use him on the powerplay (which I agree, doesn't help), but the numbers suggest Lee mightily struggles at 5 on 5 these days.

I just wish we can see this team under a new coach, preferably from outside of the organization, or at the very least Brent Thompson. Just to know if Capuano is literal **** at deployment, or if these players are really not as good as they appear to be. Oh well.

I was looking at those numbers too in the offseason, was hoping to get the original Lee back.

But I think his puck skills keep getting worse.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
When you need to draft up a laundry list of what a player needs surrounding him in order to be successful, that's a sign that said player is one dimensional and likely not very good.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Also, Isles should considering hiring Mark Parrish as a consultant for guys like Lee and Nelson. They have tremendous size and strength but have no idea how to use it in front of the net. Need to learn how to deflect shots and position themselves properly to do so.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Also, Isles should considering hiring Mark Parrish as a consultant for guys like Lee and Nelson. They have tremendous size and strength but have no idea how to use it in front of the net. Need to learn how to deflect shots and position themselves properly to do so.

Lee and Nelson are big? Possibly Lee --- but Nelson? He's like Martinek's kid brother.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
the injury he got last year off the Boychuck slapper could have messed with him, from a psychological and a physical point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->