Player Discussion: Anders Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lee is a guy that if we had kept Tavares would almost certainly be allowed to walk this year. I fully believe Lamoriello will try to get Panarin in here before 7/1 at least on a by word agreement as obviously nothing can be signed before then. If he does I would be surprised if Lee isn’t allowed to walk. They’d probably sign Nelson and Eberle in that instance too since they’d cost less and you could still pick up 2-3 more smaller 15-20 goal pieces like a Dzingel and othes

Reactions: YearlyLottery

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Lee is a guy that if we had kept Tavares would almost certainly be allowed to walk this year. I fully believe Lamoriello will try to get Panarin in here before 7/1 at least on a by word agreement as obviously nothing can be signed before then. If he does I would be surprised if Lee isn’t allowed to walk. They’d probably sign Nelson and Eberle in that instance too since they’d cost less and you could still pick up 2-3 more smaller 15-20 goal pieces like a Dzingel and othes

If only it were that easy..... Panarin is not coming to the Islanders BTW. The reality at this point, is all four UFA's will test free agency and Lou will indeed be likely paying more if he wishes to retain any of the four UFA's. This directive may not be on Lou but the owners, regardless it made no sense to pass the trade deadline with them unsigned or traded.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
If only it were that easy..... Panarin is not coming to the Islanders BTW. The reality at this point, is all four UFA's will test free agency and Lou will indeed be likely paying more if he wishes to retain any of the four UFA's. This directive may not be on Lou but the owners, regardless it made no sense to pass the trade deadline with them unsigned or traded.
I agree. Panarin is not coming here. Lee will be signed.

Reactions: Hagstrom

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009

Let me get this right, You say the Islanders would sign Panarin for let's say 9.5, then sign Brock for 5.5-6, Eberle 5-5.5 and then two or three 15-20 goal players like Dzingel. Have you checked the CAP math on that? In today's world a 15-20 goal scorer is probably going to cost 4-4.75

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I’m talking style. You don’t see a guy whose skill set is going to the net, getting deflections and rebounds? Mediocre skater, relies on others to create chances for him?
Cause that’s Moulson and Hunter. Hunter played in an era where you went to the net, you took a beating.

Hunter never played for Doug Weight, and if I had to make a bet, I bet Lee never sniffs 40 again.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If only it were that easy..... Panarin is not coming to the Islanders BTW.

Why is everyone so confident in their opinions about what Panarin is or isn't going to do?

At any rate, I think NYI will end up signing Lee, and that both Nelson and Eberle will walk. I think Nelson's value as a 50 point 2nd line center is more than NYI will want to pay. And I think it's the right time to walk from Eberle. He's not going to be a useful player when he loses another step.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Why is everyone so confident in their opinions about what Panarin is or isn't going to do?

At any rate, I think NYI will end up signing Lee, and that both Nelson and Eberle will walk. I think Nelson's value as a 50 point 2nd line center is more than NYI will want to pay. And I think it's the right time to walk from Eberle. He's not going to be a useful player when he loses another step.

I agree, still not sure Nelson is a Lou kind of player.
I’m for paying Lee, my concern is term more than the money
But, then again, it ain’t my money

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I agree, still not sure Nelson is a Lou kind of player.
I’m for paying Lee, my concern is term more than the money
But, then again, it ain’t my money

I understand.

I think another argument in favor of Lee is that he's the captain, and the team has overachieved while he's been it. That's a skill that's not going to degrade, so long as he can play some valuable role over the term of his contract. And addressing your past post - while Anders Lee is a slightly below-average top 6 skater, he's not anywhere in the range of Trent Hunter who was one of the slowest players in the league.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The worst thing to happen to Lou this year was our success. I'm sure he was expecting to be GM of a roughly .500, non-playoff team which would have given him all kinds of freedom to evaluate, call up, send down and move players unfettered by playoff considerations. Then BT happened.

As for it "making no sense" to do nothing at the trade deadline, do you really gut a team fighting for first place? Tough enough getting fans to come to Isles games, there would have been an outright mutiny if he had done as you suggest. No, the clock really starts on Lou this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hagstrom

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I understand.

I think another argument in favor of Lee is that he's the captain, and the team has overachieved while he's been it. That's a skill that's not going to degrade, so long as he can play some valuable role over the term of his contract. And addressing your past post - while Anders Lee is a slightly below-average top 6 skater, he's not anywhere in the range of Trent Hunter who was one of the slowest players in the league.
Moulson was also notably slower than Lee. In addition to that, Hunter never had Lee's hands and Moulson never had Lee's all around game.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Moulson was also notably slower than Lee. In addition to that, Hunter never had Lee's hands and Moulson never had Lee's all around game.

Idk, Hunter had some really nice mits when he came up. He could dangle skating like he was standing still. But it was, unfortunately, hard to tell the difference.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Lee and Pajama Boy were magic together near the other team's goal line. No way he would have been allowed to walk.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Idk, Hunter had some really nice mits when he came up. He could dangle skating like he was standing still. But it was, unfortunately, hard to tell the difference.
As I recall, he was a pretty decent stickhandler, but most of his goals in his rookie season were scored with slappers off the rush or from open ice, which was not sustainable with his skating. He tried to adjust his game to be more of a goalmouth mucker, but he didn't have the hands in tight that Lee has so he never had the success with it that Lee has had.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I say the number comes in lower. Same contract as Bailey
6 year 30 mill total but he gets security of a NTC since he is C.
Nelson too. 6 X 5 for everyone !!

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I understand.

Captain is a different issue
I like Lee, but I think Cizikis should’ve gotten it. Especially after the debacle with the last captain

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

If that’s all that happens they’re even worse offensively than this year. I don’t see how that team does anything when you just lost another 35-40 goals off the roster

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I disagree. Anders is a natural leader. Casey seems more comfortable in the background.

Lee might be great with off ice stuff, charity work, interviews etc. Which is a part of being the captain, but Cizikas looks like the on ice, balls to the wall, 100% effort spark plug type leader. Who is also under contract. I don’t understand Lou giving up leverage in negotiations by naming Lee captain before he had an extension.
Could’ve just given 3 “A”’s this year and avoided the whole 2 captains in a row left as UFA stuff.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lee might be great with off ice stuff, charity work, interviews etc. Which is a part of being the captain, but Cizikas looks like the on ice, balls to the wall, 100% effort spark plug type leader. Who is also under contract. I don’t understand Lou giving up leverage in negotiations by naming Lee captain before he had an extension.
Could’ve just given 3 “A”’s this year and avoided the whole 2 captains in a row left as UFA stuff.

It's only leverage if Lamoriello lets it be leverage. He likely doesn't care nearly as much as fans do about having two captains walk in back to back years.

Reactions: PWJunior

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Lee is a leader on the ice, too. If only he could skate like Casey, but that would be a different player. I do not think he will be leaving, his skillset is rare and very desirable throughout the league. I am not worried about 5 years from now, by which time both Casey and Anders will be on the downside of their careers.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I disagree. Anders is a natural leader. Casey seems more comfortable in the backgroun
d.

Just a non related fact about our captain . He holds the Minn High School record for yards in one game at 581 of which 477 were passing and 104 were rushing . Love this guy. And I hear he sleeps without PJs . Just wanted to share . Carry on

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just a non related fact about our captain . He holds the Minn High School record for yards in one game at 581 of which 477 were passing and 104 were rushing . Love this guy. And I hear he sleeps without PJs . Just wanted to share . Carry on
Cool info - I was reaching for the "like" button... and then I got to the part about sleeping without PJs....

:eek:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you asked me "What one move could the team make this offseason that would cause them to suffer the most damage and set them back the furthest?" my answer would be "Let Andres Lee walk".

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If you asked me "What one move could the team make this offseason that would cause them to suffer the most damage and set them back the furthest?" my answer would be "Let Andres Lee walk".
I totally agree Lee must be signed and Lehner should be signed I’m meh on Nelson and Eberle won’t even be offered a contract I bet.

Reactions: sabremike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad