Player Discussion: Anders Lee 2019-2020 (Signs 7 year extension, $7M AAV)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The AAV is okay, but the term is hard to swallow.

Next year we will have 18 million to sign:

Martin
Barzal
Kuhnakl
Beauvillier (signs this year, but will take some of the 18 mil)
Pulock
Toews
Greiss

That's without any UFA signings. Could get tight. Barzal is a 10 million player who I hope gets closer to Aho money (8.5/5yr). Beauvillier could get anywhere from 4-6 this year depending on term, so that's 12-14 million for the key guys. Pulock should get 5ish, Toews 3-4. Martin and Kuhn on minimums?

Not sure I love the outlook of that club. Hopefully Barzy can step up another level, and some of our prospects can make the jump.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The AAV is okay, but the term is hard to swallow.

Next year we will have 18 million to sign:

Martin
Barzal
Kuhnakl
Beauvillier (signs this year, but will take some of the 18 mil)
Pulock
Toews
Greiss

That's without any UFA signings. Could get tight. Barzal is a 10 million player who I hope gets closer to Aho money (8.5/5yr). Beauvillier could get anywhere from 4-6 this year depending on term, so that's 12-14 million for the key guys. Pulock should get 5ish, Toews 3-4. Martin and Kuhn on minimums?

Not sure I love the outlook of that club. Hopefully Barzy can step up another level, and some of our prospects can make the jump.
The ideal thing would be that guys like Wahlstrom, Bellows, MDC, Koivula, Aho, Sorokin will be here on low cost contracts. Then you could buy out Komarov, trade Leddy, Hickey and not have to re-sign a guy like Kuhnhackl although his contract is barely over the league min.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
The ideal thing would be that guys like Wahlstrom, Bellows, MDC, Koivula, Aho, Sorokin will be here on low cost contracts. Then you could buy out Komarov, trade Leddy, Hickey and not have to re-sign a guy like Kuhnhackl although his contract is barely over the league min.

Agreed. Let's hope for some NHL ready guys next season, would fix most of our problems. I would love if Lou would stop handing out Komarov type contracts...save the $$$ for the team engines. Even this Lee contract rattles me a little...maybe we can get the PP firing again and that will make it a bit more palatable, but I am concerned about years 3-7.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Agreed. Let's hope for some NHL ready guys next season, would fix most of our problems. I would love if Lou would stop handing out Komarov type contracts...save the $$$ for the team engines. Even this Lee contract rattles me a little...maybe we can get the PP firing again and that will make it a bit more palatable, but I am concerned about years 3-7.
Barzal has not earned 10 mil yet and Beau isnt sniffing 6 mil

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barzal has not earned 10 mil yet and Beau isnt sniffing 6 mil

6 was a bit over the top. Depending on term, I'd like to see a deal like Johnsson on the Leafs. Beau is a better player but that's what I'd be happy with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Beau is in the mid-$3M range on a 3 year type. You can use Kapanen as a comparable.
Barzal probably comes in at $8.5-9M. Pulock should slot in around $4M. These won’t be cap crushers.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You guys are obsessed with Pajama Boy. Can't we just move on? Every thread on our board seems to have mutliple conversations about John. Dude left, and we're doing well anyways.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Barzal probably comes in at $8.5-9M. Pulock should slot in around $4M. These won’t be cap crushers.

I think Pulock will be in the $5M range. He gets the RHD premium boost to his value and has pedigree as a homegrown 1st rounder. Toews is probably more in the $4M range. To be safe, I would just set aside $10M for them. Their contracts essentially replace Leddy's and maybe Boychuk's (assuming both are dealt) when they kick in starting 2020-21.

It works out nicely that way with all the cheap RFA and ELC's of the others.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Pulock will be in the $5M range. He gets the RHD premium boost to his value and has pedigree as a homegrown 1st rounder. Toews is probably more in the $4M range. To be safe, I would just set aside $10M for them. Their contracts essentially replace Leddy's and maybe Boychuk's (assuming both are dealt) when they kick in starting 2020-21.

It’s funny but I view Toews and Pulock in the opposite way. I expect Toews to have a breakout year this year and command the $5M salary. I figured doubling Pulock’s current $2M was fair value.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I think over the next 5 years, he'll average 30+ goals. For 7 mill, that isn't really bad.

Conspiracy Theory: Do you think Lee sabotaged the Panarin deal so he could get a longer contract!?

No. As stated, they had a handshake in place mid week which allowed Lou to pursue Panarin full force knowing Lee was in place at a reasonable cap hit in light of what was being offered which was considerably more. Lee wanted to be an Islander as his first priority. Never was Lou looking for a 4-5 year deal as Staple reported nor was Lou signing Anders as plan B if Panarin fell through as Staple reported. The HR was signing both, unfortunatey Panarin chose elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

If this is all they get I would be very happy. Toews is probably my favorite player on the team to watch. He is such a smooth skater.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
On one hand, we were used by Panarin, so I get not wanting to lose your captain subsequently after.

On the other hand, Lee's agent is over here acting like Lee was 110% coming back all while Lou was big fish shopping.

Yet, we know that wasnt the case, as Lee him self expressed a level of disappointment about reaching the point they did in negotiations.

All-in-all, seems like Lee's camp gave Lou a safety raft, but at a cost. I'm more inclined to think Lee did want it to work out and stay, but we know as well as anyone, Lee got the deal he did because Lou was desperate.

Highly unlikely Lee still gets 7x7 here if we sign Panarin for the rumored amount. In turn, once Lou was done being fleeced, Lee knew he had him by the balls in order to try and save face.

IslandersFan

Mar 3, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Highly unlikely Lee still gets 7x7 here if we sign Panarin for the rumored amount. In turn, once Lou was done being fleeced, Lee knew he had him by the balls in order to try and save face.

It’s easy to make statements (or accusations) of this nature from your cheap seats. It’s highly unlikely that a HOF GM whose been doing his (GM) job for 30+ years with 3 cups under his belt was “fleeced”. As someone who has had to endure some of my all-time favorite NHL legends (Lafontaine, Gretzky, LaFluer, Robataille, Lindros, Jagr, Kovalov, Dionne, etc) and former Isles favorites (Kasparitis, Flately, Pilon, Healy, Malakhov, etc) become dead to me once they laced-up with the Rangers, it comes as NO surprise that Panarin chose the Rangers. I’ve had to live with clowns like Millbury and Snow run this once-proud organization into the ground. Reasonable discussions can be had over ownership and finances and their effect on some of the trades and/or draft picks that were made, however, I’ve long admired LL and i’m going to give him more than 380 days before I can conclude that he has f***ed up this long-time shit show of an organization.

Reactions: ndgolden

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
I'm not too worried about Lee breaking down,his game is 35 ft and in front of the net....Jim Holler WILL fix the
Powerless powerplay!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Lee is worth more than $6 million per year. He got $7 million instead of $6.5 (or $7.5). Okay.

Are people disappointed he didn't sign for 5 years? 6 years? What do they think he was worth on the open market? :huh:

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011

I agree and not to mention Lee is a big reason the PP struggles hes a traffic cone in front of the net and the only non moving part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad