Player Discussion: Anders Lee 2019-2020 (Signs 7 year extension, $7M AAV)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fair contract. 1 more year than I would have liked but the dollars are okay.

Anders Lee is not going to fall off a cliff in Year 3. He doesn't play the same kind of game that Lucic or Simmonds play.

Like someone else here said, teams have managed to make bad contracts go away when they needed to.

Reactions: The Real JT

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
It's fair and I'm not too worried about the body falling apart.

I think having Lee, Eberle, Bailey and Nelson in the top 6 through UFA years locked down is big for the core. Some real good firepower there. I think this is where teams are successful when these guys are locked up.

Reactions: Wanderson

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Like everyone else, I don't like the term but more than anything, I really don't want to watch that same, plain vanilla forward group again - even though it still has some Barzal sprinkles on it. At a bare minimum, Beau damn well better step up this year and Ebs needs to be a 50+ point man again.

Having said that, I will continue to keep an open mind and hopefully there are some trades/signings to come.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Any way yeeeeeee we got our captain back. Woopty freaking dooooo today has been an utter disaster if your an islanders fan.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Would have preferred less term, but have no issue with the $7M.

LOYALTY, ****ing right. **** you to those that questioned it.
One of the best scorers in the game, unique skill set. Anders does deserve this.

Also big part of the locker room. To win consistently you need the culture.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
This contract won't look so bad if our PP doesn't completely suck next season

Reactions: MJF

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Would have preferred less term, but have no issue with the $7M.

LOYALTY, ****ing right. **** you to those that questioned it.
This was never a question of loyalty on either party's part, but you're right, for those who saw this as some kind of betrayal by Lee during the negotiation, well, that's just ridiculous.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Fair contract. 1 more year than I would have liked but the dollars are okay.

Anders Lee is not going to fall off a cliff in Year 3. He doesn't play the same kind of game that Lucic or Simmonds play.

Like someone else here said, teams have managed to make bad contracts go away when they needed to.

Agreed. it should be ok for maybe 5 years. After that, who knows?
By then, our other crappy contracts will be off the books.
It would be nice though, not having to worry about having any sh*tty contracts on the books at some point in time.
One can dream, I guess.

Reactions: MJF

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Not a fan of bringing him back for 7 years. I love him, but this has the makings of being a ball and chain type of contract in a few years.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Not a fan of bringing him back for 7 years. I love him, but this has the makings of being a ball and chain type of contract in a few years.

Let's see how the AAV is laid out. If it's a front heavy contract, it should be easier to move down the road

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Better than Giancarlo Stanton's contract.
Of course the Yankees don't stress over miscues like that. They're also not on a budget and the franchise just prints $$$.

Other than that, they're just like the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad