Player Discussion Anders Bjork

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like Bjork, this is in a small way getting a guy into our line up that someone else didn't have room for. He'll at least be as good as Tage Thompson, which isn't saying much :D

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Granato seems to be the kid whisperer. It'll be interesting to see how Bjork responds. I'm expecting him to be the next Fiala. I don't want to risk my streak of expectations not being met.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I don't think any adult wants that nickname.

3225b7fa053734e456b6863c5494e9ee.jpg

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If it works out, I’m envisioning a speedy, pain in the ass winger who can move up and down the lineup and score 10-15 a year. A less physical Girgensons with a bit more offensive impact. It’s definitely a wait and see thing but I’m excited to watch him play the rest of the year.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If it works out, I’m envisioning a speedy, pain in the ass winger who can move up and down the lineup and score 10-15 a year. A less physical Girgensons with a bit more offensive impact. It’s definitely a wait and see thing but I’m excited to watch him play the rest of the year.

I think the offensive impact for a guy like him peaks a little higher. I don't see a 45-50 point season out of the question. I do see him being marginalized, though. He isn't appealing because he lacks a lot of the tools but while we are shitty for another year? Definitely let the guy play. Then we can trade him off for another underwhelming result.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
LOL. Cassidy's handling of Bjork clearly showed otherwise. The coach had Bjork on the shortest leash and benched or scratched him for the smallest on-ice mistake (while others on the Bruins who were underachieving got a pass or were rarely called out). The upshot was that Bjork's confidence was shot playing under Cassidy and, when on the ice, he played not to screw up. He was also bounced around the lineup and could never gain any consistency or chemistry with team-mates.

I was, and remain, a fan of Bjork and think that he has top-six tools. He just needs a consistent place in the lineup and a coach who won't be such a hard-ass, as Cassidy was with him. (Two bad shoulder injuries earlier in his career also hampered his development in the NHL.) Buffalo has a good player in Anders, and I really hope that it works out for him and for the Sabres.

Bjork is also a terrific person off the ice: Mendoza Business Magazine - Mr. B. and Room 208

Hey Sabres fans, another Bruins fan coming in peace.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above assessment. Anders is a great kid. He always worked hard, is very humble and a fast SOB.
IMO Cassidy shat on him on a regular basis while guys like Jake DeBrusk was given the kid glove treatment. After a shift, most of the time when he'd get back to the bench, Bruce would be over his shoulder scolding him like a red-headed step child. It must have been frustrating as Hell.
BTW: there's a video out there of him with kids that he would visit at an elementary school in Wisconsin near Green Bay. He would call, and visit the kids and he kept up his relationship with them even after he came to Boston. IIRC they looked at him like a big brother.
I hope that he becomes the player that I always thought showed great potential. If he didn't have the shoulder injuries and surgery his scoring and his development would've been worlds ahead but given more freedom to show what he can do without constant badgering I suspect and hope that he'll blossom there for the Sabres. Good Luck Anders, we hardly knew ye

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Observations: With Luukkonen on the horizon, Tokarski finally gets a win for Sabres
1. Bjork hits the board: In his second game since being acquired from Boston, Anders Bjork scored his first goal as a Sabre. It came on a one-time slapper off a Dylan Cozens feed at 13:23 of the second period. Bjork has a goal and two assists in his first two games.
"It takes some pressure off for sure," Bjork said. "It's going to take a couple games for me to find my stride and figure out how I can best play in this system. The coaches have done a great job already showing me video. ... That pass from Cozens was great. He's a workhorse. He found that puck and put it right on my tape."

Cozens isn't just any workhorse, he's the workhorse from Whitehorse.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Opportunity. There's absolutely no pressure. No Eichel. A lot of talented players getting the opportunity to show out. There are a lot of top 10 picks in the lineup.

There is pressure. He's coaching for a job. When Krueger was coaching for his job he did things a lot differently.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
There is pressure. He's coaching for a job. When Krueger was coaching for his job he did things a lot differently.
No one expects anything from him. The only pressure Granato would feel is from himself.

I was mostly speaking about the players though. There is no outside pressure to perform and win.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He now has more goals and points in 13 games here than his 30 in Boston
Really hoping there's something there with the chemistry he had with Reinhart last night. He was feeling it, and I'm sure the opportunity to play in the top-6 lit a fire under his butt. I like his speed and work ethic, but he gets lost in the chaos at times. Hopefully he pans out, but he's been inconsistent from the games I've seen, which is only a few, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad