Post-Game Talk: And4son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Just realized I'm wrong for a second time. I always thought the first tie breaker was ROW's. It's actually regulation wins, then ROW's. And we *can* pass Florida with a win tomorrow and it' doesn't need to be in regulation either since we're already up by 3 RW's. So again, these games are not meaningless. It's entirely plausible the Leafs would have to face one of the two teams we're still jockeying with (Pittsburgh and Florida). And they'll have fans.

Just win tomorrow and we get 4th overall. Lose without getting at least one point and it's 6th overall.

It was ROW until last year when it was changed to RW.

Yo why wasn’t Tavares given an assist on the Matthews goal?

I think two Senaturds kind of, sort of, hit the bouncing puck before Matthews blasted it in. I agree he should have gotten an assist based on how they usually divvy out points.

** On another note anyone blaming Andersen for the first goal is just out and out stupid or looking for reasons to gripe. *** No let's change that, they aren't looking to gripe it would just be the other reason.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Wasn’t too bothered by the first goal. Perfect shot with a well timed screen. That’s going to happen.

But just seeing how often he gets into a scramble with the puck in his crease. 2 goals were ones where he just lost the puck in the crease, and there were 2 other instances I noticed where it was clear he didn’t know where a rebound went and it didn’t end up in the net.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Watch Campbells movement and composure when an opponent has the puck behind the net evading left and right. Then watch Freddy. I don’t know a ton about goaltending but the difference looks stark.

Campbells head on a swivel, body square facing forward. He doesn’t commit until the play leaves the back of the net.

Andersen is sliding left and right, losing his footing and he looks like he’s panicking. I can see how this translates into the guy who always seems to be out of his crease or facing into the net when the opposition is collapsing into the net.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It was ROW until last year when it was changed to RW.

I think two Senaturds kind of, sort of, hit the bouncing puck before Matthews blasted it in. I agree he should have gotten an assist based on how they usually divvy out points.

** On another note anyone blaming Andersen for the first goal is just out and out stupid or looking for reasons to gripe. *** No let's change that, they aren't looking to gripe it would just be the other reason.
There is no NHL goalie who would have stopped that first goal. He couldn't see it and it was off the post. Granted Andersen rarely tries to get a better view on point shots. The other 3 goals, I believe an ECHL goalie could have stopped. It's not just that the puck went in, it's how out of control and awkward he looked during the play. Sadly, this isn't solely because of rust. It's been creeping into his game for the last few years. There was a time when he was good, and just let in bad goals in the playoffs. Now, he's plainly not good anymore.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Freddy in post game interview: "I'm happy with how I played. The other team got some fortunate bounces but I don't see what I could have done differently."

Lol he could try not swimming out of the crease and leaving the net open

Reactions: stickty111

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
he definitely can ease off with trying the high risk/high reward play in certain situations ,but im not sure hes built that way. if you eliminate those plays from his game hes a top 5 - 10 player in the league imo. hes always had the occasional "derp" moment..but you're right you deal with the occasional tunnel vision because the majority of the time he gets away with it.
I think the thing is they aren't always, or even usually, high reward. They're low reward.

Look at the GWG last night, the "reward" of executing the way he expected is basic possession in our end. We saw a few similar examples on the PP where he threw the puck away carelessly into non dangerous areas.

Those are what he needs to clean up. Let him gamble when there's a bit potential outcome, but we're simply seeing bad decisions

Reactions: stickty111

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Dunno if anyone could have stopped the first one. Two guys screening him and a perfectly placed shot. Even if his standing and square to te shot it was going in under those conditions.

norris didn’t bury the ot goal by any means. Very stoppable shot even though it was a tough spot to be in. Need to fight through the screen in the first one. I give him very short rope based on his play all year. He was awful with the Marlies last week too. We always make excuses for him but great goalies react to deflections and screens. He was beat on several occasions yesterday on cross ice passes. Lucky for him the Sens simply missed or it would have been worse.

Last edited:

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Andersen was out of sync. He did make a couple big saves but easy to tell he needs to find his legs still.

Team barely tried and forced it into overtime. Yes, I am not afraid of the Senators and their 17 goal scoring forwards.

Teams depth looked good and Muzzin seems to have found his shot on the PP. Kerfoot may be our missing cog on the PP? Something to consider for playoffs. Might not be the sexy big name option but any player can be a big game performer.

Reilly and Marner need to smarten up their big time decisions. Especially Reilly.

Holl seems out of sync to me, may not hurt to rest him against the Jets.

I really hope we rest our guys tomorrow. I don't care if we bring up all the Marlies. Play Andersen, Brooks, Liljegren, anyone. Rest the big guns.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The same PP with the same setup has operated at the top of the league for years, I really don't think this is entirely the case.
I think part of the issue is look how in tight to the slot Marner is. In years past he’d be closer to the halfwall. He’s more positioned in the dots in prior years:

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Wasn’t too bothered by the first goal. Perfect shot with a well timed screen. That’s going to happen.

But just seeing how often he gets into a scramble with the puck in his crease. 2 goals were ones where he just lost the puck in the crease, and there were 2 other instances I noticed where it was clear he didn’t know where a rebound went and it didn’t end up in the net.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Watch Campbells movement and composure when an opponent has the puck behind the net evading left and right. Then watch Freddy. I don’t know a ton about goaltending but the difference looks stark.

Campbells head on a swivel, body square facing forward. He doesn’t commit until the play leaves the back of the net.

Andersen is sliding left and right, losing his footing and he looks like he’s panicking. I can see how this translates into the guy who always seems to be out of his crease or facing into the net when the opposition is collapsing into the net.
His tracking of the puck behind the net has always been an issue, even during his better days.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
He never came close to a vezina, for good reason.

upload_2021-5-13_9-1-29.png

These were some fantastic seasons no? Andersen was 10th in the NHL in GSAA in 2018-2019, 12th the year before, and 13th the year before.

Not Vezina calibre, but I've read a lot of takes suggesting Andersen was no better than average (not from you), and I really don't think that's the case.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The same PP with the same setup has operated at the top of the league for years, I really don't think this is entirely the case.
Do you remember what they used last year? Before that I remember it was largely a lefty bumper and Lefty screen which opened up a soft dump to keep possession if the shot wasn't there think Kadri/JVR and Kadri/JT.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
norris didn’t bury the ot goal by any means. Very stoppable shot even though it was a tough spot to be in. Need to fight through the screen in the first one. I give him very short rope based on his play all year. He was awful with the Marlies last week too. We always make excuses for him but great goalies react to deflections and screens. He was beat on several occasions yesterday on cross ice passes. Lucky for him the Sens simply missed or it would have been worse.

I noticed that too (the cross ices passes). I thought we very lucky at least twice the Sens didn't bury it on those plays.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
View attachment 433430

These were some fantastic seasons no? Andersen was 10th in the NHL in GSAA in 2018-2019, 12th the year before, and 13th the year before.

Not Vezina calibre, but I've read a lot of takes suggesting Andersen was no better than average (not from you), and I really don't think that's the case.

10th-13th seems to be precisely a "slightly bove average" starting goalie, no?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He’s getting what he deserves. Don’t kill your team being a hotdog with the puck in your own end. It’s as stupid as it gets for being responsible with the puck. Matthews probably could have gotten another one if it lasted longer than 10 stinkin seconds.

It was greedy hot dogging and he knew it himself
not excusing the decision making there. It was a terrible play by Mitch. What I'm saying is, he was terrible all night and clearly disengaged. If Sheldon were interested in gutting out a W he should not have gone to Matthews/Marner/Reilly. They were arguably the 3 worst players on the ice last night for both teams not named Freddy Anderson. If he wanted a W he should have gone to Willy and JT. But because it was a nothing game, he went with old faithful. At the end of the day, Mitch made a terrible read on the play, but its not like he cost us much. Mitch has been fantastic all year, I'll give him and Auston a pass for not having their A-Game in what was essentially a friendly.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
We'd have zero playoffs the last 4 years without Fred on the team. People realize that right ? It's a fact. Not an opinion.

I dont understand the need to speak about like he's a piece of dirt. If his time is done here, fine. But the hatred is such a pain to watch. I don't understand it.

He was a big part of this team leaving the dark ages.

We have zero reasons to be this angry. Our team is sick and we have a goalie with the potential to take over Fred's job. Life is good for Leafs fans.

Really? When’s the last time his save% was above average?

Why do you Freddy fans insist on making up “facts”. We definitely would’ve made the playoffs with an average goaltender. Which is what Freddy was until now. Now he’s just bad.

And no, no one hates him. No one is out to get him. This isn’t some conspiracy against him. He’s just not good and people don’t want him ruining our chance at a Cup.

It’s that simple. Not some hatred that Freddy fans keep calling it. No one hates him, no one is upset. We just don’t want him in net.

Also lol Campbell already took the job. No potential for anything, he’s already done it.

Reactions: vpasla1

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If we go to 3on3 vs the Jets, put Spezza with Matthews. Still have the creativity without the boneheaded jr. Hockey crap. Marner has been doing this in OT for years. Marner and Andersen have cost the team a ton of points in OT, not that tonight matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad