Post-Game Talk: And4son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Andersen was fine lol. about as you’d expect a guy coming off such a long layoff.

So much disrespect for a dude who carried the franchise for a number of years.

can’t we just cheer for both guys to be successful

He was bad in the AHL games and now in the NHL.

It's one thing to let goals in. Sometimes, you can excuse goals as being the defenseman and/or forward's fault. However, his positioning was off all game including on shots that didn't go in.

The guy is going to get lit up in the playoffs if he plays. With a supposed back-to-back game coming up in the Montreal series, this might end up becoming a scheduled loss.

Reactions: stickty111

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
No HE WASN'T FINE. He was his same terrible usual self. Not saying the team was absolute stellar in front of him, but he was BAD and that 3rd goal was HORRIBLE. Put Andersen out to pasture already. If he plays the Leafs will have no chance of winning in the playoffs.

I agree... he sucks... his lateral movement is a joke.
Goodbye Andersen! We have more capable backups to take your place.

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
I think they would have sauced him over him if Rielly did what Brodie typically does (just lay down on the ice).

I think the main thing that Rielly just needs to do is take the man so that if he does lay down or block the lane like he is trying to do, he is more likely to get the puck. You are actually taught as a defenseman to stay on your feet (not do what Brodie is doing), but what makes Brodie effective on those 2-on-1's is that when he does go down, he is close enough to the guy with the puck that it is hard to get it over him.

There was no way for Rielly to get close enough to Tkachuk even if he wanted to do what Brodie did. He could have taken the pass but then Tkachuk would have just driven the net so he pretty much just did what he could and he was pretty close to breaking it up.

Rielly is too much in the middle and it is harder to stop the 2-on-1 from that spot when they pass. The conundrum comes with the balance between being aggressive and passive. Being aggressive like Brodie works at times, but if you don't get the timing perfect, then it is a lot worse than what happens with being more passive like Rielly. If you are passive like Rielly and can't get in the way of the pass, then they can get a good chance.
No chance they sauce over a d mans body stretched out on the ice! The main goal is to block the pass across but equally as important is forcing the shot to come from the player your goalie is squared up to.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Andersen looks even worse than before...I'd much rather have Rittich as the backup. Also Rielly, please learn how to defend a 2 on 1. He's been here for like 10 years and I've yet to see him break one up.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
lol, so high scoring high event creative forwards arent allowed to make mistakes EVER? i think you ask is a little high personally lol
It's unrealistic, but I think we all know Marner's decision making is far from safe and he doesn't identify low reward/high risk plays like that very well.

You live with the bad because his good is so very good, but these needless errors happen often and are low hanging fruit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Fred has been great in the regular season, but mediocre to sub par in the playoffs. Especially in momentum shifting moments. The numbers dont tell that story but the momentum and team morale does.
"Great" is a stretch. He's been good in 2-3 seasons, usually in that above average range. Can't argue with the playoff questions

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
These are not nothing games contrary to what many posters suggest. Finishing as high in the standings as possible gives you a better match up if they make the semis. I want the Leafs to avoid the Avs at all costs. They are one point away from guaranteeing that. Pens and Leafs are tied in row. Goes to goal differential. Leafs have them by one goal. But a loss to the Peg would put pens ahead and possibly a match up with the Avs or Vegas.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Good news / bad news with that loss.

- One point got us into 5th and with Minnesota getting blown out so far, doesn't look like anyone can catch us.
- Moving up looks impossible with Colorado blowing out LA. Can't catch Florida now with tonight's loss due to ROW's.

Looks like 5th overall is a lock. Not too shabby.

Better than getting the President's trophy

Jnewman

Sep 3, 2010
Please don't tell me you guys care about a nothing game against a nothing franchise?

Players are resting. Campbell was out and it was Freddy's first showing. Sens had to beat our number three goalie in a skating competition.

This is why we are making the post season and they aren't.

Leafs are .500 against that 'nothing team'...and judging by the way they played tonight they'll be lucky to break even against them next year. North Division is a real weak sister this year. Or maybe I'm just getting prepared for yet another totally impossible first round flameout...

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It's unrealistic, but I think we all know Marner's decision making is far from safe and he doesn't identify low reward/high risk plays like that very well.

You live with the bad because his good is so very good, but these needless errors happen often and are low hanging fruit.
he definitely can ease off with trying the high risk/high reward play in certain situations ,but im not sure hes built that way. if you eliminate those plays from his game hes a top 5 - 10 player in the league imo. hes always had the occasional "derp" moment..but you're right you deal with the occasional tunnel vision because the majority of the time he gets away with it.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Leafs are .500 against that 'nothing team'...and judging by the way they played tonight they'll be lucky to break even against them next year. North Division is a real weak sister this year. Or maybe I'm just getting prepared for yet another totally impossible first round flameout...
sens have one of the best records in the NHL over the past month, they always play us hard and we have nothing to play for. there are alot of situations that us playing like this would be slightly concerning, this is not one of those situations.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Andersen looks even worse than before...I'd much rather have Rittich as the backup. Also Rielly, please learn how to defend a 2 on 1. He's been here for like 10 years and I've yet to see him break one up.

I'm not as firm as you but I'm leaning that Rittich might be the better goalie right now. I've liked Freddy but he still doesn't look very solid. They have to be careful though. I think Freddy has a number of guys on this team who like him and might be put off if he doesn't get the chance to back up.

They'll probably dress him to backup and monitor him in practice. If Jack falters, then they can make the decision between Andersen and Rittich. Maybe Freddy will be further along in terms of competitiveness by then.

One thing became crystal clear from Andersen this season, in the AHL and tonight. Jack Campbell has only given up more than 3 goals once in 21 starts this season. Anderson has done that 9 times in 23 starts this season (ignoring both outings in the AHL). Rittich 5 times. On that basis, Jack will give this team a chance to win nearly every night because if he holds a team to three or less as he's done all but one game this season, the skill on this team has a good chance of scoring three or more and winning the game. Jack Campbell earned the right to start in these playoffs, fair and square.

Hopefully, this buys Freddy time to get sharper.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I think it’s understandable why Andersen was rusty. And I think Campbell should absolutely start in the playoffs. Shrugs

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
I believe with the point tonight, the 2020-21 Leafs have now guaranteed sole possession of the top Regular Season points percentage in franchise history.

Reactions: OddyOh

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I cheer for Andy but he is simply not the same goalie this year. When Marner gave up the puck in OT I paused the game and turned to my wife and said the Sens are going to score. He just can’t make the big save with the game on the line and more importantly pick up one of his players when they screw up. His lateral movement is not there anymore.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He was bad in the AHL games and now in the NHL.

It's one thing to let goals in. Sometimes, you can excuse goals as being the defenseman and/or forward's fault. However, his positioning was off all game including on shots that didn't go in.

The guy is going to get lit up in the playoffs if he plays. With a supposed back-to-back game coming up in the Montreal series, this might end up becoming a scheduled loss.

He won't be starting unless Campbell is not performing or injured.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
So that answered my question. Andersen... to the 3rd spot you go. Honestly, no matter the backup we should all pray Campbell is A) Healthy and B) Good, cuz if not then I see a real shot at losing in the first round again

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
1st goal no chance

2nd goal dont know what the F happened and stupid shorty

3rd goal lucky bounce IMO right where the kid got up

4th goal hung out to dry

I think I start Freddie again against the Jets to see where he's at
I'd start Fred again for the simple fact I don't want any of the other goalies hurt, and couldn't care less if Andersen had a career ender.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Yeah real smart to judge a team just trying to get through a meaningless game without any injuries.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Freddy has played 24 games this season, and allowed 4+ goals in 9 of them, including 5 of his last 7.

Campbell has player 21 games this season, and allowed 4+ goals only once.

The choice is clear. Freddy vs. Rittich is a debate, Freddy vs. Campbell isn’t.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Let me preface this by saying Campbell is better.

But Freddy wasn't that bad this game. He wasn't great either, but you guys are seriously gonna call him 4nderson when one of the goals was a 2 on 0 after a neutral zone giveaway resulting in a breakaway in 3v3 OT? Come on guys.

But yes, that giveaway by Marner was beyond awful. How much does he make again?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad