Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Enemy and Incendies are great too.

My favorite active director now by a country mile. Very excited for the next Dune.

Previously when we were talking about the Assassination of Jessie James, I brought up the brilliant cinematography of Roger Deakins. So Blade Runner 2049 having Denis directing with Deakins on cinematography, oh boy. Gorgeous. Sicario too.

Only watch this if you've seen the film as it will spoil a few things.

• Love
Reactions: Ricelund

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anyone get the Vision Pro?

$3500 to be the beta tester for a generation 1 product with limited functionality and support relative to other platforms. It's a lot of potential and has that Apple polish you'd expect.

I think AR is going to be a massive part of the future, but this is the earliest of stages for it. It's a product is for tech enthusiasts.

I'm enthusiastic just not $3500 + tax enthusiastic.

I can dream up a few cool ways to use it that sound novel and exciting, but that excitement wanes when I think about having it strapped to my face like scuba goggles for a significant time.

Reactions: Konnan511

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My favorite active director now by a country mile. Very excited for the next Dune.

Previously when we were talking about the Assassination of Jessie James, I brought up the brilliant cinematography of Roger Deakins. So Blade Runner 2049 having Denis directing with Deakins on cinematography, oh boy. Gorgeous. Sicario too.

Only watch this if you've seen the film as it will spoil a few things.

I'll give him credit, he didn't totally ruin Bladerunner's legacy. :naughty:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
"didn't totally ruin"

So you've chosen violence, I see.

To be fair, I didn't dislike it. Or Dune. Or Arrival. etc. Okay, maybe wasn't a fan of dune. There is something about his films that puts me at a distance. Honestly, it's been too long since I saw one to really dig into, though.

My days of watching complicated things might be past me.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Anybody in southeast Michigan, find something to throw on the grill this Friday. It might hit 60 degrees in February.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
How would you describe it compared to this account?

• The eye-tracking interface and hand gestures are amazingly intuitive - Strong agree, it works incredibly well. One of the coolest parts of the demo is calibrating the hand/eye tracking. It's almost like a game and it didn't require any instructions. It picks up extremely subtle hand gestures and it doesn't really matter where you're holding your hands. The eye tracking is extremely precise.
  • Spatial computing takes multitasking to the next level - Not sure about this. They don't let you pair it to a Mac in the in-store demo so I mostly watched videos/looked at pictures. I would like to try it with a Mac for sure because using it with a physical keyboard will be necessary to type efficiently.
  • Awesome movie experience — especially in 3D — and Immersive video - Yes, 100%. During the demo, they have you use a "theater mode" and it feels like you're literally in a movie theater with surround sound. I was sitting in one of the busiest Apple Stores in the world and the real world totally disappeared when I was in theater mode.
  • Impressive spatial photos and videos (and panoramas) - Yeah, these are very cool. They have you watch a few clips, some recorded with the latest iPhone and some recorded with the headset. It feels like re-living a memory to a degree, especially the ones recorded with the headset.
  • Works with your MacBook like frickin' magic - Not sure, would like to test this out.
  • Compelling AR apps and experiences - The only app I used outside of photos/videos was a web browser briefly and a game. Both were cool but I would like to see what other third party apps are out there.
It is pretty bulky but not uncomfortable. I used it with the solo band, not the one that goes around your head and over your head, which doesn't look as cool but I've heard is more comfortable. Granted, I only used it for 30 minutes so I'm not sure how it would feel to wear it for an extended period of time.

One of the coolest parts of the immersive video demo was watching an MLB game from dugout view. It's going to be awesome for sports.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
  • The eye-tracking interface and hand gestures are amazingly intuitive - Strong agree, it works incredibly well. One of the coolest parts of the demo is calibrating the hand/eye tracking. It's almost like a game and it didn't require any instructions. It picks up extremely subtle hand gestures and it doesn't really matter where you're holding your hands. The eye tracking is extremely precise.
  • Spatial computing takes multitasking to the next level - Not sure about this. They don't let you pair it to a Mac in the in-store demo so I mostly watched videos/looked at pictures. I would like to try it with a Mac for sure because using it with a physical keyboard will be necessary to type efficiently.
  • Awesome movie experience — especially in 3D — and Immersive video - Yes, 100%. During the demo, they have you use a "theater mode" and it feels like you're literally in a movie theater with surround sound. I was sitting in one of the busiest Apple Stores in the world and the real world totally disappeared when I was in theater mode.
  • Impressive spatial photos and videos (and panoramas) - Yeah, these are very cool. They have you watch a few clips, some recorded with the latest iPhone and some recorded with the headset. It feels like re-living a memory to a degree, especially the ones recorded with the headset.
  • Works with your MacBook like frickin' magic - Not sure, would like to test this out.
  • Compelling AR apps and experiences - The only app I used outside of photos/videos was a web browser briefly and a game. Both were cool but I would like to see what other third party apps are out there.
It is pretty bulky but not uncomfortable. I used it with the solo band, not the one that goes around your head and over your head, which doesn't look as cool but I've heard is more comfortable. Granted, I only used it for 30 minutes so I'm not sure how it would feel to wear it for an extended period of time.

One of the coolest parts of the immersive video demo was watching an MLB game from dugout view. It's going to be awesome for sports.
Why would I switch from a manual to an automatic?
I didn't understand the point of texting when I could just call someone instead.
What's the point of switching from DnD 3.5 to 5e when a new version will be just around the corner.
Why would I use a camera on my phone when I could just bring my DSLR with me?
Why would I spend 3500 on a VR headset when I can get one for around $600?

Maybe one day this overly expensive VR headset will make sense.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I didn't understand the point of texting when I could just call someone instead.
What's the point of switching from DnD 3.5 to 5e when a new version will be just around the corner.

Here's a fun read.

Technology Adoption Curve: 5 Stages of Adoption | Whatfix

I'm often in the early adopters or early majority part of the curve, but this piece of tech makes me think of Black Mirror and dystopian stories about how disconnected from reality we become. We already spend so much time connected. Do we need something that plugs us in that much more?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'm often in the early adopters or early majority part of the curve, but this piece of tech makes me think of Black Mirror and dystopian stories about how disconnected from reality we become. We already spend so much time connected. Do we need something that plugs us in that much more?
Agreed and, aside from the price tag, that's what's holding me back from buying it. In one of the reviews I read (believe it was Vanity Fair), the author mentioned that after using the Vision Pro, everything else feels flat and less immersive, including real life. I felt that even after using it for only half an hour. I definitely don't want to feel that way all the time.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If I get sucked into an alternate hellscape I'm waiting for the back of head plug in ala the Matrix. I'll be a battery for the AI if I can exist consciously in a world I don't have to work in...

Reactions: Winger98

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

It will, because the price will come down. This early adoption stuff is for the people who have already dove nose-deep into the Apple ecosystem. Their stuff is expensive... but you cannot argue that it works together quite seamlessly. Is it overpriced? Hell yeah. But honestly, it being overpriced is part of its allure, tbh.

Right now, there are too many barriers to completely wide adoption (having used other VR headsets, I do like my Quest 2 a bunch), they still haven't solved the motion sickness feeling that goes along with you moving and the screen swirling in game but you not moving. Like, I don't understand it, but I have a game called Blade and Sorcery: Nomad in which you can free-walk with the stick. but it stays focused on your character. f***in immediately nauseous. And this is from someone who's never ever had any type of motion sickness before.

At the end of the day, the Vision Pro will be better than stuff like the HTC Vive and the Meta headsets. It just will. It's not anywhere from 5-13x better though.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
The Offspring did a collab with the Ducks and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Might pick up a copy of the hits LP they put out though. Pretty solid deep cuts on the list.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Guys I’m conflicted. So I have a 9 year old semi wild boy. He likes to play with friends at the bus stop after school. There is a mom that has been telling him he needs to go home and not play. Apparently he kicked a soccer ball too hard while her kid was playing soccer. I went up to the bus stop and introduced myself and asked what the issue was. She went into a tirade about him being rude and disrespectful. So again she was telling him (in a not nice tone as he puts it) to go home he can’t play there.

So I told him he can play there. The conflict I am having is his response. The one I am leaning towards might prove her point but it would be absolutely hilarious and he actually the one who came up with it.

His response “no thank you Karen”.

Mine “ I respectfully decline”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad