Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Definitely not looking to get into it as a serious hobby. I have a turntable hand-me-down from my dad, and a set of speakers he made for me twenty-five years ago that I need to replace the subs in. Wife wants a dedicated CD player and I'd like to hear my movies but not real interested in surround sound.
Recommend changing out the needle on the turntable if its a hand me down. Otherwise if its lasted this long it'll probably keep kicking with no problems.

Reactions: Winger98

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Definitely not looking to get into it as a serious hobby. I have a turntable hand-me-down from my dad, and a set of speakers he made for me twenty-five years ago that I need to replace the subs in. Wife wants a dedicated CD player and I'd like to hear my movies but not real interested in surround sound.

That one doesn't have an HDMI input so you could hook it up to your TV for sound, it just would take a couple more cables.

I guess the biggest question is whats your budget?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That one doesn't have an HDMI input so you could hook it up to your TV for sound, it just would take a couple more cables.

I guess the biggest question is whats your budget?
$300 is probably the absolute max I would go. Ease of use is really important. I don't get to sit down and watch a lot or listen to a lot that isn't streaming in my car or my ear buds. The most use outside of the audio will probably be my kids streaming disney+. The cheaper I can go and still get what I want without it being trash is my goal.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
$300 is probably the absolute max I would go. Ease of use is really important. I don't get to sit down and watch a lot or listen to a lot that isn't streaming in my car or my ear buds. The most use outside of the audio will probably be my kids streaming disney+. The cheaper I can go and still get what I want without it being trash is my goal.

If you're willing to go used, you can get a $350 unit for about $200. Something like this Yamaha should be a big step up from the one previously linked and you're getting it at under $200 used.

Personally I'm a fan of buying used audio equipment to get better gear at the budget pricing.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Nice thing about used audio equipment too is that its never really 'beat up' typically if it makes it to the secondary market its going to last you a long time. Been my experience at least.

That Yamaha that @Bench posted would be great. I've had good luck with them in the past, super easy to use and just work.

Sony is pretty solid as well in that price range.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
It's ridiculous his biggest critics are Wings fans, and that's just because he wasn't a top5 all time guy like Roy.

It's a shame he got hurt in 99. I think we sweep the Avs with a healthy Ozzy and have a very good chance at winning 3 in a row.

I thought his self assessment was insightful. How he worked to hard before the game and would become mentally exhausted during the actual tilt. Hasek, helped him with his approach. He then altered his style to continue his career. I always thought he got a raw deal from the fans, management and critics. The whole he played for a good team thing is just dumb t me. Not many HOF goalies didn't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you're willing to go used, you can get a $350 unit for about $200. Something like this Yamaha should be a big step up from the one previously linked and you're getting it at under $200 used.

Personally I'm a fan of buying used audio equipment to get better gear at the budget pricing.

Got it. I have no issue buying used, but I do not have the mental or physical bandwidth to search local pawnshops right now. Also, there is a bizarre lack of pawnshops around me.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction and getting me in a position to add to it a bit down the road.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Got it. I have no issue buying used, but I do not have the mental or physical bandwidth to search local pawnshops right now. Also, there is a bizarre lack of pawnshops around me.

Thanks for pointing me in this direction and getting me in a position to add to it a bit down the road.

I'd just browse reputable online resellers like Adorama. Sweetwater, B&H, and even Guitar Center also have sections for used equipment. They are reputable and usually have free shipping if you decide to go that route, which will be important for a chunky boy like a receiver. Although that one I linked seems to have sold in the last day, so inventory will fluctuate a bit.

But for your needs, I think you'll be happy with most name brand products. Plug it in and enjoy! You can go down the audio rabbit hole like I'm sure @Electric Eric and I have done many times, but ultimately what makes a good product is if it suits your needs and is easy to use. Having the fanciest receiver that your wife and kids hate isn't going to help anyone, so I always steer people into the path of least resistance.

So now that we've had this insane talk, just buy that one from Best Buy and have a happy life.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd just browse reputable online resellers like Adorama. Sweetwater, B&H, and even Guitar Center also have sections for used equipment. They are reputable and usually have free shipping if you decide to go that route, which will be important for a chunky boy like a receiver. Although that one I linked seems to have sold in the last day, so inventory will fluctuate a bit.

But for your needs, I think you'll be happy with most name brand products. Plug it in and enjoy! You can go down the audio rabbit hole like I'm sure @Electric Eric and I have done many times, but ultimately what makes a good product is if it suits your needs and is easy to use. Having the fanciest receiver that your wife and kids hate isn't going to help anyone, so I always steer people into the path of least resistance.

So now that we've had this insane talk, just buy that one from Best Buy and have a happy life.

lol no, i mean I just got the one you suggested.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

Not me spending my free time while in Taiwan checking out record stores and electronic shops just to see whats up.....

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not me spending my free time while in Taiwan checking out record stores and electronic shops just to see whats up.....

Oh man. That sounds awesome. There's videos from places in Japan that still have these districts with all kinds of old tech and audio gear. It feels like the entire inventory of the Midwest condensed into one city block with all kinds of rare stuff that never made it overseas.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Oh my. Well that explains why it's gone! Enjoy, friend!

It comes friday. Which means I'm going to have to start looking harder at getting those old speaker boxes working again.

It just seemed stupid to hesitate over $50 at this point when it looks like it will work better with what I have/will get and gives me an option to expand a bit down the road if I want to.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Not many HOF goalies didn't.

Hasek is basically the only one that didn't have stacked teams helping him the majority of his career. And that's what makes him so special.

You could argue new inductee Lundqvist, I suppose. But not anywhere near the level of Hasek.

Reactions: heyfolks

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It comes friday. Which means I'm going to have to start looking harder at getting those old speaker boxes working again.

It just seemed stupid to hesitate over $50 at this point when it looks like it will work better with what I have/will get and gives me an option to expand a bit down the road if I want to.

Yeah you're all set with that Yamaha for the foreseeable future. And the reviews say it's very user friendly, which I emphasized in my search. If it's not, well... Scold me and return it, ha.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Hasek is basically the only one that didn't have stacked teams helping him the majority of his career. And that's what makes him so special.

You could argue new inductee Lundqvist, I suppose. But not anywhere near the level of Hasek.
100% agree

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
AXS app is terrible for tickets. I was trying to find 2 tickets for the Wings game on 3/9. Instead of just showing me available tickets and prices I had to search section by section. This is Hall of Fame ineptness.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So aside from my Beemer dying last Sunday, my left knee crapped out Tuesday, slept in the wrong position (old people talk, I know, lol). Pain on inboard side and below knee cap, couldn't bend knee or put weight on it. Got worse Wed, so I tried sleeping with an an ace bandage to no avail. Yesterday I figured out it feels better if I stretch it out by twisting my left foot outwards, so I positioned my left foot that way to sleep. Today it's about 90% better, barely any pain.

Anybody ever experience anything similar? Been looking at physical therapy pages last couple of days, can't find anything similar. Pain location and symptoms are consistent with MCL or meniscus issues, I'm leaning towards meniscus. My ligaments are all stretched out from decades of skiing, I can turn my foot almost 90 degrees sideways sitting with my knees together bent at 90 degrees.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
After being a working professional for 16 years, I have been working at this job for the past 3 months and I can honestly say I love what I do. I used to work in Resorts as Guest Services Directors (I used to work at Grand Traverse Resort and be the point of contact for the Red Wings during Training Camp, I knew Dan Cleary was coming back as a player before anyone else because I had to give the fax to him and Ken Holland) and then Moved into Sales down here in Florida after I said f*** the snow. This job combines both. I sell super cool products to hotels and resorts. I never have to cold call. I always have hot leads. Everyone I e-mail are super excited and nice. I work 5 minutes away from home and WTH on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I just had my best day in Sales and my best week. I'm just happy at my job for once.

Let's Go Wings!

Attachments

• 20240202_170325.jpg
    20240202_170325.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 5

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
After being a working professional for 16 years, I have been working at this job for the past 3 months and I can honestly say I love what I do. I used to work in Resorts as Guest Services Directors (I used to work at Grand Traverse Resort and be the point of contact for the Red Wings during Training Camp, I knew Dan Cleary was coming back as a player before anyone else because I had to give the fax to him and Ken Holland) and then Moved into Sales down here in Florida after I said f*** the snow. This job combines both. I sell super cool products to hotels and resorts. I never have to cold call. I always have hot leads. Everyone I e-mail are super excited and nice. I work 5 minutes away from home and WTH on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I just had my best day in Sales and my best week. I'm just happy at my job for once.

Let's Go Wings!
Congrats man, and I like that you're cranking through some Warsteiners. One of the worst German beers, which is like saying "one of the ugliest supermodels." (I'll drink supermod- er, I mean Warsteiners all day)

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Just watched a wild flick on Netflix, Prisoners (2013). Somehow I had never heard of this. My interest was peaked watching an analysis of the movie and it was called "one of the best movies of the past 20 years". Had I not been working my way through the archive of a channel on YouTube it would have eluded me still.

Minus a few loose ends this was a phenomenal movie. Cannot believe I had never heard of it. Departing Netflix on 2/9.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Just watched a wild flick on Netflix, Prisoners (2013). Somehow I had never heard of this. My interest was peaked watching an analysis of the movie and it was called "one of the best movies of the past 20 years". Had I not been working my way through the archive of a channel on YouTube it would have eluded me still.

Minus a few loose ends this was a phenomenal movie. Cannot believe I had never heard of it. Departing Netflix on 2/9.
Great movie. Have you seen any of Villenueve’s other films? You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: Bench and Bondurant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad